Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

Chicken-fried steak is OK, but I order it with fries and no gravy. As others have noted, gravy varies all over the place and bad gravy is just toxic waste, and I've gotten so I don't trust most places' gravy without prior knowledge. So I eat my CFS with Heinz 57 sauce by preference.

I get to visit my first winery tomorrow! :D

Paper Moon Vineyards

I saw a commercial for a winery here in Missouri that sells, I s**t you not, Jalapeno wine. (I don't know how to make the n-with-tilde.) Not that I'd ever try it, but I thought it would be interesting to mention.

Wineries vary a lot. Over in the Yakima Valley and Columbia Valley a few hours away from here by car, there are dozens that one can visit. Some are over the top in terms of fanciness and snob appeal; others are sort of collections of repurposed mobile homes. And the best wine we've had over there was from one of the latter.

BTW, the winery trip was a success this weekend. Apparently though, the day before we visited a bunch of bikers showed up for a visit and THAT was amusing (or so claimed our server). :ugly:

Enjoyed several samples of whites, roses and reds (with a nice loaf of warm ciabatta bread to sop up the alcohol). We picked up a dry Riesling and a bottle of raspberry wine for myself. Ohio's grape crop had been hit hard by surprise frosts earlier this year, so I felt like I needed to support the local businesses. :)

Pizza from a vending machine. Coming soon.

lets-pizza.jpg

I found a madchine somewhat like that at an airport several years ago after a GenCon (I think). I was stuck in some city with a missed connection on my way home (the airline ended up paying for a night in a hotel) and found a machine that sold fresh french fries. I don't recall them being very good, but to their credit they were hot.

Cooked squid inseminates woman’s “tongue, cheek and gums”

According to a scientific paper from the Journal of Parasitology, a 63-year-old Korean woman "experienced severe pain in her oral cavity immediately after eating a portion of parboiled squid along with its internal organs." She spat out the food in her mouth, but still had a "pricking and foreign-body sensation" in her oral cavity. When she went to the hospital, they removed a dozen "small, white spindle-shaped, bug-like organisms stuck in the mucous membrane of the tongue, cheek, and gingiva." Yes, the dead squid's spermatophores were still active, and they'd inseminated the woman's mouth.

At the moment, the story's top comment is:

"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, but Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. So call me, maybe?"