Power Game. Give it a try.

Argus

I posted this somewhere.

Take a ranged killing attack. It can be as big as you want, but for the sake of argument we'll assume three dice. Buy it at a million charges. Make it Area Effect (this is important), with Megascale on it if you like, or perhaps just one hex area. Definitely Megascale the range.

Now Blaze Away with this Power. Use all million shots.

According to the rules for Blazin' Away, each shot fired hits on a 3. On average, 1 in 216 shots will roll a 3, so you'll hit with approximately 4,629 of them. The others will scatter by 1 hex for every point you miss your roll by, so the maximum scatter you'll get will be 15 hexes away. Presto: you've just slammed a million 3d6 killing attacks (or whatever) down on a 30 hex radius "circle".

Buy it up to a billion charges if you want, for no cost increase. Now you can throw a thousand of those monsters, or for even more fun goodness, blaze away with all billion charges. That time you'll hit with ~4,629,000 of them, and the other 995,000,000+ will scatter, again in a 30 hex radius circle. More charges will hit every other hex in the circle than hit ground zero.

For the final brutal blow, make them double or triple Penetrating. At that point they'll just obliterate whatever you aim at, unless it's Hardened.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by archer

I posted this somewhere.

Take a ranged killing attack. It can be as big as you want, but for the sake of argument we'll assume three dice. Buy it at a million charges.

That's the one - I forget who posted it a couple of weeks ago!

Buy any power you want (or all your powers) normally. However, also apply "Charges - 1 googol" (+1 advantage; googol being 1 with a million zeroes behind it - hey, make it a trillion zeroes the cost's unchanged) and make the charges non-recoverable (-2 from the Charges figure). All your powers purchased with this construct are half price, and get 0 END as an added freebie.

Stevehas, I'm told, indicated the construct is technically legal. Clearly no one would allow it. [The priginal poster is welcome to take credit for the ides, by the way - I'm just reporting it.]

Silly math name quibble

Hugh said:

googol being 1 with a million zeroes behind it

One googol is 10^100. That's represented by a 1 with one-hundred zeroes following it.

One googolplex is 10^googol, or (10)^(10^100). That's represented by a 1 with a googol zeroes following it - which cannot be represented as there are only about 10^80 (I could be off by a little here... :D ) atoms in the universe.

John H

Re: Silly math name quibble

Originally posted by JMHammer

Hugh said:

One googol is 10^100. That's represented by a 1 with one-hundred zeroes following it.

One googolplex is 10^googol, or (10)^(10^100). That's represented by a 1 with a googol zeroes following it - which cannot be represented as there are only about 10^80 (I could be off by a little here... :D ) atoms in the universe.

John H

I'll rename mine a "google" then, consistent with the populare spelling error. [i should never post these things when I'm distracted] But I want 1 with a million zeroes charges, thanks!

Re: Re: Re: What is 0.1c?

Originally posted by GenreFiend

Something I've always wondered: Energy measured in what and Mass measured in what? I mean, energy measured in watts to mass measured in tons in very different from enrgy measured in joules and mass measured in ounces. See what I mean?

It doesn't really matter, so long as the units balance. If you want energy in joules, you will want to measure mass in kilograms and use c = 3*10^8 m/s. If you want energy in kilowatt hours, start off with energy in joules and divide by 3600000. In lots of high energy physics, you'll see c = 1, with energy in MeV (millions of electron volts) and mass in MeV/c^2.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Zed-F

One small note: Under the Blazing Away rules, you can only hit anything once, no matter how many times you roll. It would be a lot simpler (and more legal) to just buy a regular area affect attack, and up the area to what you're looking for if necessary.

(a) You can only hit your target once. It doesn't say anything about where the other shots go. Since it's Area Effect, the missed shots scatter just like they do normally.

(B) You can only hit once with each Autofire "burst". This implies that you can hit once with each shot you fire.

• 2 years later...

Re: Power Game. Give it a try.

:o

150 Darkness to Hearing , Sight , Mental , Radio , Smell/Taste and Touch Groups 2" radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (150 Active Points)

The character creates a sphere of darkness where all perception rolls automatically fail and targetting is impossible, yet no one notices anything unusual about the area. The Character is immune. THe character is effectively fully invisible and all of the character's powers get fully invisible power effects for free,

Why stop there? Add in an AOE, and the power may as well be called "Where did everybody go?", since noone can perceive anyone else to find them, and noone's powers can be used to signal for help or even just a "Hello? Anyone out there?"

This isn't nearly as powerful as some of the above, but I did break a game with it once.

Transform Into Anything

V.P.P. (Max Active)

Control Cost (Half Max Active)

Advantages: Cosmic (+2)

Limitations: One Type of Power: Multiform Only (-.5 to -1.5) (In our campaign we settled on -1 as it was only one power, albeit a very versatile one.)

I literally played a different form every night, sometimes two or three. I exploited every NPC Vulnerability and Susceptability we knew about. It was alot of fun for me as I loved having to prepare a new character sheet every week, but the GM lost alot of hair until I toned the character down (we eventually limited him to just animals, then a set number of forms after that). It was alot of fun.

For no Warning powers or advantages:

Vampiric Death Field 1d6 Transfer (Body to either Stun, Body, or Strength), +30 Increased Max, Personal Immunity (+1/4) AoE Radius (+1). 68 AP. Apply limitations to taste/cost requirements.

Now, I might be mis-reading the Absorption power rules, but I'm pretty sure this allows for up to 18 total points of Body damage against Power Defense to everybody in a 3-4" radius - and for all of that damage to be transferred to your chosen stat. Tacked this onto a villain of mine once, using Strength, before I remembered that, technically, this would also affect every inanimate object in his immediate area. He quickly ended up with a STR in the low hundreds. :rolleyes:

:o

Why stop there? Add in an AOE, and the power may as well be called "Where did everybody go?", since noone can perceive anyone else to find them, and noone's powers can be used to signal for help or even just a "Hello? Anyone out there?"

Darkness can't have the AoE Advantage because it's already an AoE Power - just increase the Radius on the base power.

Darkness can't have the AoE Advantage because it's already an AoE Power - just increase the Radius on the base power.

So that's what I must have been thinking, the first time. I posted it and then read the build again and couldn't figure out why I had ever thought it would affect more than the power's user, so I edited it to specify the AOE.

Part of it being that I was posting too late at night, perhaps ;)

Plague Touch (40pts): 1d6 RKA, Continuous (+1), Penetrating (+1/2), Sticky (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2; lasts 24 hours or until victim receives a full dose of vancomycin, whichever comes first), 0 END (+1/2), No Range (-1/2)

EDIT: still working on a good power for Images...

It's what we get to deal with in the U.S. every four years. A month-plus of nothing but inane commentary on what politicians are pretending to be. I give you ELECTION BRAIN DRAIN.

Drain INT 4d6, Trigger (Election Day) (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4) (120 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Month, -5), 1 Recoverable Charge which Recovers every >1 Season (-3 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4)

It's what we get to deal with in the U.S. every four years. A month-plus of nothing but inane commentary on what politicians are pretending to be. I give you ELECTION BRAIN DRAIN.

Drain INT 4d6, Trigger (Election Day) (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4) (120 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Month, -5), 1 Recoverable Charge which Recovers every >1 Season (-3 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4)

:lol: Nice, but I doubt you'd need the full 4d6 :D

This is a two-power combo attack.

First, open a portal:

Stretching, Does not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Non-combat Stretching. Be sure to make the distance something good like 512 hexes or so. Make sure to open it a little under half your distance.

Second, while the portal is open, Summon a real nasty creature, incredibly powerful, dangerous, and utterly hates your guts and, more importantly, hates everybody and everything.

The bad news, it will show up in the next available empty space, right next to you, foaming at the mouth.

The good news, oh look here's a nice little portal that I can, for a half-phase action, "pull myself" through and end up 256 hexes away.

Summoning Angry Demon from Hell, 60 Active Points, 15 Real Points.

Cheesy Stretching spell, approximately another 15 Real Points.

The ability to suddenly move 256 hexes in a half-phase while the demon is still disorintated.

ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS :cool:

Plague Touch (40pts): 1d6 RKA, Continuous (+1), Penetrating (+1/2), Sticky (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2; lasts 24 hours or until victim receives a full dose of vancomycin, whichever comes first), 0 END (+1/2), No Range (-1/2)

EDIT: still working on a good power for Images...

The only idea I have for images that ends up towards abusive...

Everywhere At Once: Sight, Mental, Hearing, Smell/Taste and Touch Groups, Danger Sense, Spatial Awareness and Combat Sense Images Increased Size (16" radius; +1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (102Active Points); Set Effect (Only Copies of self; -1), No Range (-1/2)

combined with:

Everywhere At Once: (Total: 115 Active Cost) Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4) for up to 100 Active Points of [Attack Powers] (75 Active Points); Limited Power Only from Copies (-1/2) (Real Cost: 50) plus Running +20" (26" total) (40 Active Points); Only "inside" Everywhere At Once Images (-1 1/2), no Noncombat movement (-1/4) (Real Cost: 14)

This is on my wifes character. A small-large number of the character are running around, each time a different one attacks a target. which one do you hit? Most of them are just after images of a temporal shifter moving between seconds.

I had thought of using a Mega-Scale to cover the entire world in Images, essentially putting everyone in the character's imaginary world. However, Images uses a power advantage to increase the area covered, so it would be unbalanced to apply Mega-Scale to the power. The end result being a ridiculous cost to get what I was looking for.

The best use of Images is pretty much as a distraction or cover-up for something else that's going on (e.g. hide the fact that the bridge is out, create an Image of you running away in one direction while you go invisible and run off in a different direction, cover up a photo on an FBI badge with an image of your own face, etc.). So it doesn't lend itself well to insane power-gaming. It's more of a finesse thing.

Here's one use for an often-ignored power...

Gravedigger (112pts): 3" Tunneling through 3 DEF, Fill In, AVLD (force wall, +1 1/2), Usable as Attack (+1), Ranged (+1/2), Area Effect (1 hex, +1/2)

... Point at your opponent and they're suddenly 6m underground. Thanks to AVLD, so long as you aren't trying to get through a force wall, you can tunnel through anything and everything as easy as if it were potting soil.

This is a two-power combo attack.

First, open a portal:

Stretching, Does not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Non-combat Stretching. Be sure to make the distance something good like 512 hexes or so. Make sure to open it a little under half your distance.

Second, while the portal is open, Summon a real nasty creature, incredibly powerful, dangerous, and utterly hates your guts and, more importantly, hates everybody and everything.

The bad news, it will show up in the next available empty space, right next to you, foaming at the mouth.

The good news, oh look here's a nice little portal that I can, for a half-phase action, "pull myself" through and end up 256 hexes away.

Summoning Angry Demon from Hell, 60 Active Points, 15 Real Points.

Cheesy Stretching spell, approximately another 15 Real Points.

The ability to suddenly move 256 hexes in a half-phase while the demon is still disorintated.

ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS :cool:

I really like this one, but I thought you were going a different direction. Using stretching, couldn't you just make the target hex for the summon next to your outstretched hand, then just snap back?

I had thought of using a Mega-Scale to cover the entire world in Images, essentially putting everyone in the character's imaginary world. However, Images uses a power advantage to increase the area covered, so it would be unbalanced to apply Mega-Scale to the power. The end result being a ridiculous cost to get what I was looking for.

Gravedigger (112pts): 3" Tunneling through 3 DEF, Fill In, AVLD (force wall, +1 1/2), Usable as Attack (+1), Ranged (+1/2), Area Effect (1 hex, +1/2)

... Point at your opponent and they're suddenly 6m underground. Thanks to AVLD, so long as you aren't trying to get through a force wall, you can tunnel through anything and everything as easy as if it were potting soil.

Takofanes' VPP has Change Environment 1" with enough MegaScale that the hex engulfs the entire planet (turning the Sun black), so that's apparently not illegal.

H5R, p. 242.

"Characters may not apply the Attack Versus Limited Defense or No Normal Defense Advantages to Tunneling as a cheap way of Tunneling through any substance regardless of its DEF."

If you made it NND (Force Wall), you could bury anyone who wasn't protected by a Force Wall, as long as the ground was DEF 3 or less, but that's all.

Hmm, I came of with a combo a while back thats absolutly wrong. It involves images and a small teleport... yeheheheheheh. I was elaborating upon the Mirror Images spell in DnD

Mirror Image: Sight Group Images Increased Size (2" radius; +1/4), +/-3 to PER Rolls, Mirror Images Mimic Characters Actions Exactly (This includes moving; +0), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (28 Active Points); Only to Create Mirror Images of Character (-1), No Range (-1/2). Total Cost: 11 points.

Mirror Bounce: Teleportation 2", Linked (Mirror Image; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; Lesser Instant Power can be used in any Phase in which greater Constant Power is in use; +0), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Triggers when Attacked; +3/4) (7 Active Points); Only to Exchange Places with a Mirror Image (-1), no Noncombat movement (-1/4). Total Cost: 3 points.

Grand Total: 14 cp.

Basicly this power makes you almost utterly impervious to any attack (including AoEs) smaller then 2-3" radius. As there is only a 1 in 7 chance they will attack the right "image" and even if they do he simply teleports to one of the other ones. of course they can make a Per roll (maybe) to detect the correct image, but that doesn't stop him from bouncing.

Whoops! I was just scanning through there, and I saw "AVLD" in the Tunneling section. I'd never thought about it until that moment and I didn't read the whole thing. Ugh...

Change it to 3" Tunneling through up to 10 DEF, Usable as Attack (+1), Ranged (+1/2), Area of Effect (1 hex, +1/2); Total Cost = 138pts.

Not quite as brutal, but still pretty good. It'll go through just about anything you'd need it to.

Re: Silly math name quibble

I'll rename mine a "google" then' date=' consistent with the populare spelling error. [i should never post these things when I'm distracted'] But I want 1 with a million zeroes charges, thanks!

I would let you have that power exactly as written.

Just make sure to bring that character sheet with every zero written on it to every single game and be prepared to count every single zero when you arrive.

I really like this one' date=' but I thought you were going a different direction. Using stretching, couldn't you just make the target hex for the summon next to your outstretched hand, then just snap back?[/quote']

Well, the rules say "... the Summoned being appears in the nearest unoccupied space where it will fit". Now, most GMs would read "nearest" to be nearest to the caster (not his outstretch hand). But if your GM goes for it, I certainly don't have a problem with it. :cheers: