Power Game. Give it a try.

Argus

Re: Almost anything that loops is a problem

2d6 Absorption vs Physical Damage (10), applies to STR, PD, ED, and Absorption (PD) simultaneously (+1), delayed return rate 5/month (+2). {Active} Cost: 40

2d6 Absorption vs Energy Damage (10), applies to STR, PD, ED, and Absorption (ED) simultaneously (+1), delayed return rate 5/month (+2). {Active} Cost: 40

Totally legal, but essentially permanently raises the character's STR, PD, and ED to infinite levels.

Actually, I don't see how this is "infinite." It will eventually reach the point of diminishing returns.

A 2d6 Absorption can add a maximum of +12 Active Points (unless you spend extra points specifically to increase this max., which you didn't do in your write-up). The active cost for one of these Absorptions is 40 points for 2d6. That means you can add an extra +1/2d6 for every increase of +10 Active Points, which in turn will increase your "max absorbed" by another +3 points. Since not everyone is comfortable with calculus :D I'll do the rest of my math in long-hand form.

(base) active=40...2d6, max. of +12 (52 total)

current active=50...2.5d6, max. of +15 (55 total)

Hmmm, looks like we "tap out" at 2.5d6, which is quite a bit sooner than I had expected. (Note that the "+15" adds to the original Active Cost of 40 points, not to the current Active Cost of 50+...) Furthermore, this is presuming that your GM will permit you to increase either Absorption write-up in half-die increments; if he insists on whole-die increments, you'll never get an increase at all...

Thanks,

Franklin

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Silly math name quibble

I would let you have that power exactly as written.

Just make sure to bring that character sheet with every zero written on it to every single game and be prepared to count every single zero when you arrive.

Can you cite the page reference for that rule? Most of my players keep track of how many charges they've used, not how many they have left. I'll need a pretty big scratch pad either way though...:)

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Power Game. Give it a try.

I just had a player submit a most disturbing write-up for a Champions character. (at least for me)

It's a ghost-like figure that has Extra-Dimensional Movement to some ghostly plane, and then has a ridiculous attack power with the Transdimensional Advantage, coupled with Transdimensional perception powers for targeting.

He would be able to just sit in his ghostly dimension all day clobbering anyone he likes with practically zero chance of reprisal. He is, for all intents and purposes, 100% invisible and desolid all the time. Only someone who has his powers in reverse can get at him.

Needless to say, I told him "Not on your life." There's a STOP sign on the Transdimensional stuff for a reason, I explained.

I am a 150pt ninja dude. I have duplication that lets me create exact copies of myself. I am a 350 pt character (normal starting level in champions). How many duplicates is that?

Thats a lot of ninjas.

I am the same as above, but slightly less powerful - say 100 pts.

How many is that?

That's right - I've got your election result right here.

Or for pure power...

for 350 pts you can purchase a single Multiform that allows you to transform into a character worth 1050 points! And you only have 150 points of disadvantages.

Breakdown is 210 pts for the form cost, 140 pts for the extra points above 150 disad points.

And that's without limitations or anything to reduce the cost. Like extra time. Charges.

Hows them apples?

I just had a player submit a most disturbing write-up for a Champions character. (at least for me)

It's a ghost-like figure that has Extra-Dimensional Movement to some ghostly plane, and then has a ridiculous attack power with the Transdimensional Advantage, coupled with Transdimensional perception powers for targeting.

He would be able to just sit in his ghostly dimension all day clobbering anyone he likes ….

You mean anyone he DISLIKES.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary points out that people he likes get the Transdimensional Aid and Healing powers.

It's what we get to deal with in the U.S. every four years. A month-plus of nothing but inane commentary on what politicians are pretending to be. I give you ELECTION BRAIN DRAIN.

Drain INT 4d6, Trigger (Election Day) (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4) (120 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Month, -5), 1 Recoverable Charge which Recovers every >1 Season (-3 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4)

I would totally allow this and my indeed steal this as a plot device should I ever run a campaign.

• 2 years later...

Base with flight, (possibly some life support) and 1064 1d6 RKA, 5x penetrating, megascale on range.

1064 Computers built with all abilities needed to fire guns but like 1 speed, 10 Dex etc.... Skill levels for OCV.

you could fit this on a 100 point character....

and yeah it is a cable clone....

Re: Almost anything that loops is a problem

Damn, that's clever. I couldn't believe this power was legal, but I couldn't find anything in FREd that explicitly forbids it.

There's a bit in the Rules FAQ that warns about it, but it is only a warning:

As a GM, I would rule that the maximum you could raise the Absorption would be the original maximum, so you could turn your 2d6 into a 4d6 Absorption, and give yourself a max of 24 points for STR, PD, and ED (though PD and ED would be halved), but no more than a 12 max for the Absorption. That rule seems arbitrary to me though (and it makes the power construction a little pointless, although it might be a cheaper way to increase the max): If it increases the max for STR, PD, and ED, it should increase the max for Absorption too. I think I'd have a hard time convincing a player that he couldn't build his power that way and get the effect you described.

But wait a moment... Don't the points absorbed have to pay the cost for the advantages of the power/stat they are applied to? If so, a single dice of this absorption power would be 20 points, which is beyond the max of the original absorption which could therefore never add an additional dice.

Even if you allow the addition of half dice, that first half would cost 10 points... thus bumping the maximum to 15 which is still not enough to buy the second half dice. As you approach the required 20 points, you are not gaining enough "extra" points to make it all the way to 20.

Welcome to Zeno's Paradox.

Teleportation, extradimensional (one other dimension), usable against others, at range, area affect one hex.

"Here's your handbasket, have a nice trip!"

That is almost exactly what Toyman used vs. Superman in an episode of Justice League Animated. To everyone else it appeared that Toyman disintegrated him but in fact he was sending everything thousands of years into the future. Superman was able to return to the present with the help of the last human alive - the imortal Vandal Savage.

Back under 4th edition we always joked about "Instant Change" Useable Against Others, At Range, To any outfit. You could put as many advantages as you wanted on it, it was only 10 points base. The villain was dubbed the "Revealer" and he'd go around zapping heroes back into their civilian IDs or worse....in hula girl outfits. Would be particularly funny against power suit guys.

I like to think that's why they changed it to a transformation attack in 5th Ed.

I know we've done uncontrolled before. But here's one for a 75 Active Point limit campaign.

Speed 6

Stink Reserve: Endurance Reserve 745 end, 1 rec. (75 Active Points) 75 Real Cost.

The Stinky Curse; 1d6 Ranged Killing Attack, Uncontrolled (+1/2), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1), AVLD (Smell/Taste Flash Defense; +1) (75 Active Points) 75 Real Cost.

You could give it a pool for 705 phases, or 23 and 1/2 minutes for a speed 6, dealing a Standard Effect of 2115 - 705(Smell/Taste Flash Defense).

Obviously, this attack would not work against Doctor Noseplug.

That is almost exactly what Toyman used vs. Superman in an episode of Justice League Animated. To everyone else it appeared that Toyman disintegrated him but in fact he was sending everything thousands of years into the future. Superman was able to return to the present with the help of the last human alive - the immortal Vandal Savage.

I just watched that episode, not more than two days ago. Nice! :thumbup: