Kryptonian knockoffs in CU?

CrosshairCollie

The Champs U has a number of subtle (and not so subtle *coughBLACKHARLEQUINcough*) homages to characters in comic book universes.

I've been looking for some analogue to Kryptonians/Daxamites or the like, though obviously at nowhere near their typical planet-pulverizing power levels, but not come up with anything. While I can obviously make my own, I'm curious if I'm overlooking something somewhere.

Is there an 'official' Kryptonian homage in the CU?

Re: Kryptonian knockoffs in CU?

Hitozuki (Charm Girl) in CW could be considered one as well, if only for her allergy to a certain space borne meteorite...

(which by association, would include Tachyon and Thunderbolt II)

I don't think there is a write-up (at least not one I've seen) for Vanguard, but his history has the right feel to it imo...

But yeah, Viperia's write-up is pretty darn super...

They mention Vanguard in the Destroyer book but do not give stats for him. He is a superman analog.

That book makes Vanguard's "Superman-ness" very clear -- he's described as a "flying strong-man" and "the world's most powerful superhero." But according to Darren Watts, Vanguard was a human who derived his powers from an "alien artifact," so the Kryptonian parallel falls short there.

Up until now the Milky Way Galaxy in the Hero Universe has been devoted primarily to heroic-level adventures in the post-superhuman era, so "super" alien races have been rare. Most of those are psionics like the Varanyi and the Mandaarians. The most physically powerful official race is probably the Korundar (Terran Empire pp. 44-45), giant (6-8 meters tall), rocklike, radioactive silicon-based sapients living near the galactic core. Their closest rivals in the strength/toughness department would likely be the Belaxians (Galactic Champions pp. 60-61), short (under 4'), massively built, vaguely reptilian humanoids from a very high-gravity world. However, most members of both races average around STR 30, so even exceptional individuals wouldn't be anywhere near Kryptonian analogues.

IMO the closest you get to such an official race is the Empyreans of Earth, who strongly resemble Marvel Comics' Eternals. They can have a variety of mental and energy powers depending on the individual, but all can fly, are at least somewhat physically superhuman, and some can achieve very impressive Strength (60+).

While not an official part of the Hero Universe, Michael Surbrook's Nekhojin (Ninja HERO and Digital Hero #35) are described as compatible with that continuity. They're inspired by the Saiyajin of the Dragonball Z manga/anime series, and as a race are the most powerful aliens written up for 5E HERO. The most powerful Nekhojin statted is well able to trade blows with Dr. Destroyer.

You could also make a case for the Malvans. Firewing isn't exactly a 'typical' member of his race, but they certainly have the potential to generate Superman-level individuals more-or-less at will, between their modern super-tech and whatever Ancient Mystic Gadgetry they might have lying around. And they weren't always decadent, either. Time-travelling Malvans from the distant past would be a good source of Super-themed characters.

You could also make a case for the Malvans. Firewing isn't exactly a 'typical' member of his race' date=' but they certainly have the potential to generate Superman-level individuals more-or-less at will, between their modern super-tech and whatever Ancient Mystic Gadgetry they might have lying around. And they weren't always decadent, either. Time-travelling Malvans from the distant past would be a good source of Super-themed characters.[/quote']

Like the era of The Golden Hunters, for example. ;)

Judging by the example of Kanrok the Acquisitioner from Villains, Vandals, And Vermin, you appear to be right that any given Malvan can augment himself in many ways to a considerable degree, whenever he feels like it. It's doubtlessly fortunate for the galaxy that they don't seem to feel like it very often.

The basic point that there are no Kryptonians is right, AFAIK, but if you want to put them in, I would suggest Charm Girl's mysterious "Fifth Dimension" as a candidate. Her powers are admittedly very different from those of the other characters with an "extradimensional" or explicitly Fifth dimensional origin (Zmierch and Tesseract), but we don't know a great deal about the whole thing. It could even be construed as an extra axis from any described in the official HU cosmology, making it wide-open for exploration.

Unfortunately' date=' Viperia's a magical entity, not an alien (and rather singular), so she's out. :)[/quote']

OK, since Viperia is where my mind went, and I suspect since Teen Dream is also not an alien she wouldn't count.

Could you please, expand on what traits the homage needs to have to meet your needs?

OK, since Viperia is where my mind went, and I suspect since Teen Dream is also not an alien she wouldn't count.

Could you please, expand on what traits the homage needs to have to meet your needs?

Basically, Alien Flying Brick. The other stuff (like energy projection or enhanced senses) is in the 'nice but not necessary' category. I realize now that I had failed to specify that this was for a PC, not a villain. My bad.

A rather weak Empyrean seems like the best bet. With that whole facade thing, he can claim to be an alien ... good enough for me. :)

Besides the examples I mentioned in my previous post, there are several alien races in the CU with qualities that could easily be "supered up" to make the race as a whole more formidable for a given campaign, especially during the current period of high magic in the galaxy when super-powers are possible. For example, the Donburil have an extraordinarily high metal content in their metabolisms, giving them metallic golden skins among other traits. It wouldn't take much to make the whole race more or less like Ironclad of the Champions.

The Perseids/Dorvalans are highly resistant to heat, radiation, bright light and other forms of energy due to their homeworld's environment. That could easily justify giving them the ability to outright absorb and store energy, and re-emit it for various effects.

The Mon'dabi and Kolajik are reptilian humanoids with small but usable fangs and claws, tough scaled hides, and somewhat prehensile tails. Make all of those things closer in effectiveness to crocodilians, and you'd have very dangerous unarmed fighters. In fact the Kolajik descended from velociraptor-like predators and are fast and agile; more of the same would not be out of the question.

The society of the Velarians is dominated by their religion, Scomaru Shaan, which has a strong mystical component, revering living avatars of their gods located partly through divinatory practices. The priesthood could be taught genuine magics, beyond just divination. Their avatars might even actually be partly divine, with superhuman powers.

The Hzeel have considerable regenerative abilities, even able to regrow lost limbs; but a relatively short lifespan, which might imply an accelerated metabolism. One could extend that to embrace a more generally malleable physiology which can be trained into true shapeshifting; which would suit the Hzeel's apparent racial culture of underhanded sneakiness. ;)

The Thorgons and the Xenovores are both devoted to genetic self-modification and improvement, which could justify all sorts of "upgrades." The Thorgons could at least be stronger, faster and tougher befitting true "super soldiers," while the Xenovores could appear in all sorts of bizarre shapes with freaky powers: giant Xenovores, flying Xenovores, fire-breathing Xenovores, spider-Xenovores, etc.

I'm sure there are other examples one could think of with a bit of effort.

I'm probably in the minority...but I preferred it when there were no 'Kryptonians'...just one Kryptonian. The 'last son' of Krypton (supposedly) himself, Jor-El's boy, and Jimmy Olsen's pal. Mr. 'Hey, everybody thinks Batgod's unbelievably brilliant and sneaky, but I've hidden my secret ID with geeky glasses and a big curl of hair on my forehead for 70 years!'

I've lost track of all the other real Kryptonians, semi-Kryptonians, Kryptonian-knockoffs, Kryptonian-like races, folks with an 'S' on their chest, in general, and (worst of all) Kryptonian pets. Gahhhhh - IRRITATING! :sick:

That's probably a whole 'nother topic though. Sorry, please continue. :)

I'm probably in the minority...but I preferred it when there were no 'Kryptonians'...just one Kryptonian. The 'last son' of Krypton (supposedly) himself, Jor-El's boy, and Jimmy Olsen's pal.

I've lost track of all the other real Kryptonians, semi-Kryptonians, Kryptonian-knockoffs, Kryptonian-like races, folks with an 'S' on their chest, in general, and (worst of all) Kryptonian pets. Gahhhhh - IRRITATING! :sick:

That's probably a whole 'nother topic though. Sorry, please continue. :)

See, that's how you end up with John Byrne's reboot, which apparently nobody liked...