Which is your least favorite archetype to play?

Logan D. Hurricanes

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Which is your least favorite archetype to play?

I'll start by saying I've never been a fan of mentalists. While there is a broad range of powers, they usually feel very one dimensional to me. If you don't use TK (which some don't) then you can be very powerful, but on a plane of existence by yourself. Even then it's often an all or nothing kind of effect. Telepathy won't punch through that wall, or put out a fire, or stop a bullet. Plus they feel, to use an mmo term, squishy.

Plot destruction characters. ;) Can be mentalists (depending upon powers/personality), effective precogs/retrocogs, or 'do anything' type of characters, like a magic VPP without significant restrictions. Professor X, Oracle, and Dr. Fate work much better in fiction than they do in a game.

If either I or the GM have to seriously inhibit the character's abilities all the time, it's not a fun character.

Martial Artists, for three reasons

1) I'm not that big a fan of Asian culture(Nothing wrong with it, just not my cuppa), yet understandably most GMs will push things in that direction as soon as they hear Martial Artist. They seem surprised if I -don't'- enjoy investigating a murder in China town, for example.

2) I am not versed enough in Real Life Martial Arts to do justice to the purists in a group. Normally there's one other in every group, and either that one points out how the move wouldn't work like that, or just winces audibly ;)

3) My rolls for Martial artists suck. Seriously, while there are exceptions, the dice just don't like them as much. I've gotten downright superstitious.

Patriots, as I do not believe they are actually an archetype. As I have mentioned in other threads, being a Patriot (whether it be to a governement, a religion, or even an ideal) is a background element and doesn't actually define any aspect of the character's powers or abilities. Brick's, Mentalist's, Martial Artists, ect. all share some common aspect that defines the AT. What do Captain America, Captain Britain, and Guardian have in common besides a "flag suit"?

I have to agree that mentalists tend to be 'all or nothing' in their effectiveness. Either they are really effective (in which case why did the rest of the party bother showing up?) or completely ineffective (in which case why did they bother showing up?), which leads to them being the most party-unfriendly archetype... granted, in my opinion.

Martial Atists can be hard to play, beacuse they require a very tactical viewpoint to be effective. A Brick or Energy Projector can simply 'half-move and hit them' as their default phase, but a Martial Artist requires a lot of thought to be combat effective.

That might be why I like playing them so much! :D

Patriots' date=' as I do not believe they are actually an archetype. As I have mentioned in other threads, being a Patriot (whether it be to a governement, a religion, or even an ideal) is a background element and doesn't actually define any aspect of the character's powers or abilities. Brick's, Mentalist's, Martial Artists, ect. all share some common aspect that defines the AT. What do Capatin America, Captain Britain, and Guardian have in common besides a "flag suit"?[/quote']

Agreed there. To an extent, Mages, Gageteers, and Shapechanges all have similar issues in being 'this plus something else.'

I would say the powered armored hero. I seem to think that they are all Iron Man wannabes. There just seems to be so little else that can be done.

Mentalists are my least favorite to GM because they can mess up the story easily.

1) I'm not that big a fan of Asian culture(Nothing wrong with it' date=' just not my cuppa), yet understandably most GMs will push things in that direction as soon as they hear Martial Artist. They seem surprised if I -don't'- enjoy investigating a murder in China town, for example.[/quote']

Not all Martial Arts are Asian!!!! :mad:

Sorry, bit of a pet peeve of mine there...

2) I am not versed enough in Real Life Martial Arts to do justice to the purists in a group. Normally there's one other in every group, and either that one points out how the move wouldn't work like that, or just winces audibly

Yeah, guilty as charged: I am SO this guy in most groups...

Personally, I dislike most Power Armor users (not a real archetype IMO either...)

Personally, I dislike most Power Armor users (not a real archetype IMO either...).

Just the real ones...

Sorry, don't agree with that statement but couldn't resist.

Any character type that isn't as easily adapted for solo-stories as well as team-stories. My primary context is the Classic JLA. Plastic Man, Martian Manhunter, Atom, Aquaman, Zatanna, etc.. would be difficult to challenge in a solo story (either they handle a situation or don't, there is little middle ground that doesn't involve calling on the rest of the JLA).

I know already :P

But it doesn't change the fact that every time I play a pure martial artist, I end up having some GM wanting to drop me off at China town or what not.

To which, my response is often "What, you think they speak French there?"

"Huh?"

"My character learned Savate in Orleans"

etc ;)

Yeah, guilty as charged: I am SO this guy in most groups...

:)

It sounds like Mentalists are getting a bit of a beating in this thread... so let me pile on!! Seriously, I agree that it's my least favorite (though I have designed one as a PC) but more because a lot of their powers leave me feeling a bit skeevy. I don't like having my brain manipulated so it's a bit creepy designing a character that does that to others.:fear: In terms of the "all or nothing", however, there are a lot of Mental Illusions or mental commands that are more +10 results that can make a difference in a fight without having the opponent sitting in a corner drooling or dancing like a puppet on a string. There was a tremendous Adventurer's Club about it back in the day that I still have.

Properly speaking' date=' Power Armor is a subset of Gadgeteer...[/quote']

The classic Iron Man power armor guy might be, but that's a rather limited view IMO.

- you could be the pilot of the armor that somone else designed

- maybe you found or stole the armor and don't really understand how it works.

- you're an alien and this "power armor" is what keeps you alive, but you don't have the technical skills to do anything more than repair it.

- you're a warrior from a mystic world and your "power armor" is actually a collection of magic items, each of which grant you super human abilities! Sadly, as you are not a wizard, you're pretty much stuck with what you had when you left your home plane... (and of course you will be mocked by someone for being a D&D character...)

My main grievance is actually with the classic Iron Man types though.

I don't care if Superman is in my games. There's only as many Kryptonians as I choose to put into the game.

But Stark can make an army of Iron Men any time he pleases. There may be reasons why he's chosen not to at various points, but there's very little that's actually stopping him from doing it.

This isn't even touching on all the stuff someone like Stark should have done with his technology that would affect the campaign world, but that's a different matter entirely.

But it doesn't change the fact that every time I play a pure martial artist' date=' I end up having some GM wanting to drop me off at China town or what not.[/quote']

Oh! I've played with that GM! He's an unobservant jag!

Still better than the GM that told me Wrestling wasn't a martial art in his games and was best represented by skill levels and a high STR.

I should have broken his limbs in alphabetical order with my non-martial art... :thumbdown

Oh! I've played with that GM! He's an unobservant jag!

Still better than the GM that told me Wrestling wasn't a martial art in his games and was best represented by skill levels and a high STR.

I should have broken his limbs in alphabetical order with my non-martial art... :thumbdown

It's just Acting and a lot of choreography, isn't it?

Run away...!!!!

Guest steamteck

I'll chime in with mentalists being my least favorite for heroes/PCs. Although they make great villains. Mind control seems villainous to me anyway.

It's just Acting and a lot of choreography' date=' isn't it?[/quote']

Well, most Pro Wrestlers are Workers that couldn't tell you the difference between a Hammer Lock and a Double Wrist Lock.

Me, I'm a Shooter. What I do is real... though I know my fair share of the "Sports Entertainment" stuff too...

But we're getting off the subject, which is apparently tat most GM's don't know how to handle mentalists ;)

Yes, but just try telling that to the uber-Wapanese sorts. I mentioned looking into Martial Arts for a character of mine and all the suggestions were Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Wu Shu ...

I went with Savate, of additional irony because the character is half-Japanese, but a total banana.

I don't really have a least favorite archetype. One of my player strengths is that I can play nearly anything reasonably well. Me, I *love* Mentalists, but GMs hate it when I have them, not because I 'break the plot', but because I use my powers so subtly that they're hard to react to. For example, when one of my teammates dropped a gas bomb on an enemy, I Mind-Controlled the enemy brick with "Your teammate is choking to death! Quick, give her the Heimlich as hard as you can, it's her only hope!" Mental Illusions is another favorite. :) One of the reasons I like Mentalists is because most of their powers take some trickiness to play, and there's a lot of teamwork involved. But I digress.

I'm probably *least* into bricks due to the 'dumb and clumsy' stereotype. It's basically the same reason I never play elves in fantasy; everybody has this immediate stereotype about how the character should act, and always assume it even if you tell them, to their face, that your character is not an idiot (or a pansy, in the case of elves).l

Patriots

which archetypes don't have any appeal for you' date=' and why?[/quote']

I'm going to have to agree with Doc Samson. I don't see Patriots as being an actual archetype. Even though my next campaign will have a number of "national superheroes" and "national superteams", I'm going to build them as some other kind of archetype.

Even Avatars aren't as bad. As soon as you anser the obvious question (Avatar of what/whom?) then you already know what powers you should start with.

I've had fun with all the others. I particularly enjoy things like martial artists, speedsters and mentalists, because they require a lot of thought to play them well.

I've never been a fan of mentalists. While there is a broad range of powers' date=' they usually feel very one dimensional to me.[/quote']

Mentalists used to all feel the same to me, because most of them had the same set of powers (Telepathy, Mental Illusions, Mind Control). Then I started to build Mentalists that focused on one of those three. Suddenly they became a lot more individualistic. I would also buy related powers (like PRE, costs END for someone with Mind Control).

Plus they feel' date=' to use an mmo term, squishy.[/quote']

Most of my Mentalists get +5 DCV, costs END (-1/2), only vs. intentional attacks (-1/2). Some get more. It's a bit "all-or-nothing", but it starts mitigating the squishiness.

The Sfx varies depending on their primary mental power.

Telepathy: I know when and where you're going to shoot at me, and I'll dodge it.

Mental Illusions: Everyone thinks I'm 3 feet from where I actually am.

Mind Control: You don't want to hit me.

I can use a similar rationale to buy Combat Luck and Damage Reduction.

Most of my martial artists use Boxing. The serious ones add Judo and/or Wrestling.

It was good enough for the Golden Age Batman, Wildcat and the Atom, so it's good enough for me.

I've never played a Mentalist, but I would. My least favourite would probably be Power Armour, although I would play characters that were built exactly the same way, but with a different special effect...

I nearly forgot about Patriots, so sign me up for them since they do not really have a powers basis.

I personally like Mentalists but I agree that they can be tricky and personally I think that Mental Powers could use some tweaking but this isn't 6e discussion...

In any case, sometimes you have to think outside the box to make a Mentalist like in the case of one of my characters, Captain Awesome, shameless self-plug aside. ;)