Who is your Taskmaster?

Split Decision

Re: Who is your Taskmaster?

I went the corporate route. There was an AIM (or, for champions fans, ARGENT) organization in my world is known as the ARMORY. The ARMORY made their start as weapons dealers, lucked into some alien technology after an invasion and went "Big time" they started to offer more services in the late 80's early 90's. Mostly as vehicle and base contractors.

They went "Full Service" in 2003, offering Agent Education (Thugs to Agents in five weeks!), Medical, Financial, and Legal assistance.

I think I will call the Taskmaster... Simple Simon. And his "school" will be called Simple Simon's Revenge Squad.

I'm trying to flesh out a top-notch rogue's gallery for a hero. Who this hero is, is still up in the air. I have some ideas. But I think his rogue's gallery will mostly be nursery rhyme themed.

If you can think of any catchy names which evoke the sentiment of Babes in Toyland crossed with Fight Club, please help me out. I have an exhaustive list, but some of the names on it don't immediately lend themselves to insta-characters. So, it's tough going.

Another question: Is there a copywritten superhero or villain named The Glider?

In my Teen Champions game, I use Generation VIPER from the Teen Champions Source book, so I use Mrs Garter (a seductive female VIPER agent) to train the teen super villains.

Basically you combine that hot substitute teacher that comes along once in a blue moon and distracts the whole class, with that horribly cruel manipulative Geography/Maths/Science/any subject really teacher, that makes you pray for the day they get hit by a bus.

What you've never had one of those?

The Thugs...Now there's an idea. I think I have some work to do...I'll tell my players where to voice their complaints.

Receptionist: "Killer Staffing, how may I help you?"

Unnamed Villain: "Uhm, I'm going to need some help with an upcoming bank job."

R: "Excellent. Will you need thugs, gunmen, or are you expecting supers involvement?"

UV: "Gee, I'd not thought it through that far...I'm thinking probably gunmen for this operation."

R: "Well, we have a broad selection of skill levels to choose from. I'm looking at a resume right now for a fellow with military experience. He scored strong on our automatic weapons tests, and claims a general knowledge of explosives."

UV: "That sounds perfect. How much would I have to pay him?"

R: "Oh, you don't pay him, sir. You pay us, and we pay him. His base rate will cost $125 an hour."

UV: "That's outrageous!"

R: "Sir, you are aware of just how risky this line of work is, aren't you? That includes the man's salary, his health insurance, extensive life insurance through an agency that doesn't pay too close of attention to the cause of death. And, of course, a processing and management fee to Killer Staffing. And taxes, medicare and unemployment insurance. Believe me, neither one of us wants to tangle with the IRS..."

UV: "Well..."

R: "Sir, need I remind you that you will be robbing a bank? I suspect you'll be able to afford our rates."

Actually... I have a Champions character that's kinda like him, and the Taskmaster is my FAVOURITE Marvel character. EVER.

As I've yet to figure out how to do the Photographic Reflexes thing in a game system, I gave this guy a limited version of Psychometry that I once saw in a Battle Angel Alita comic.

He can read 'skills' off any object that's been handled with 'love' and 'care' for more than a month, and mimics their abilities perfectly. However, remove the object from his hands, and the skills are gone. In my 'universe', people leave psychic impressions on their favourite things, and if it's tool or weapon, then it will have the right skills to use it.

Of course, when certain objects have more than one owner, and multiple skill sets (As in differing Kenjutsu styles in the case of a Katana) he can only take ONE of the sets at a time, not able to mix and match as he likes.

However, after a month of constant handling objects, he gains the skills permanently and is able to adapt them to his body.

In the Champions Millenium setting I was planning on playing he's an Ex-Ninja Viper, well, he was between the ages of 12 and 14. Then he was to be a sleeper agent in to a Super Teen academy in Bay City (The remains of San Fransisco after a super's war.) Sadly, the Viper cell got killed before they could activate him and destroy the cover personality. It gets even more messy and convoluted after that.

He actually works as a mercenary, but is on call with the Guard (The Super's policing unit) although he doesn't mention what he has done for others with them...

VPP' date=' skills only, choose your lims. Not book-legal, but it fits the bill.[/quote']

And is actually the "official" build for such things anyhow.

FOR me, and what I've seen of what it does, that doesn't work. The Taskmaster gets to keep the physical abilities he wants permanently. A VPP doesn't work that way, at least not to my mind.

However, the psychometric ability I found and modified (The original power from the manga had the user remember all the details and history of past users as well as transferring the skills. I just took the skills part.) works better for me, because then, I'm not actually stealing from a source.

:)

Too bad I never got to play him.

The "choose your lims" part is shorthand for "I don't want to think about the lims at the moment". And certainly you can add whatever skill you want to permanently buy buying it!

Most of the time though, you can simulate a lot of different combat abilities with the same Martial maneuver, or whatever.

I'm so glad this is legal.

FOR me' date=' and what I've seen of what it does, that doesn't work. The Taskmaster gets to keep the physical abilities he wants permanently. A VPP doesn't work that way, at least not to my mind.[/quote']

Well, you can only use abilities that you have seen others use before. Once you have observed the ability, you can then create it with the VPP, even if the target is no longer around to observe.

If you add No Skill Roll Required and Zero Phase Action, you can instantly create such abilities with 100% accuracy any time you need them, so in essence you always have the physical skills you need.

Obviously, this is all very much in the realm of GM permission, but that's the gist of the build.

As for Tasky himself, the man has so many abilites and gadgets that, were I to create him, he would already have all the super skills, levels and martial arts maneuvers purchased normally. This would represent the vast aray of abilities he has obtained from past conflicts. The VPP would primarily be there to learn new things on the fly...

As for Tasky himself' date=' the man has so many abilites and gadgets that, were I to create him, he would already have all the super skills, levels and martial arts maneuvers purchased normally. This would represent the vast aray of abilities he has obtained from past conflicts. The VPP would primarily be there to learn new things on the fly...[/quote']

Right! Taskmaster is easily on par with Batman, as far as sheer number of skills.

Rather' date=' is there a fellow who trains supervillain lackeys, or something? [/quote']

Stole mine from Kim Possible. Jack Hench is an international arms dealer and mercinary trainer. You can tell Hench Men because they are well equipted and disiciplined compared to other villianous agents.

If anyone else here has read the Darker Mask Anthology, they'll have seen something similar in the story Henchman- PowerPeople, the henchman temp agency. Main character in story goes on to become a supervillain in his own right and setting up his own team of permanent agents...

Stole mine from Kim Possible. Jack Hench is an international arms dealer and mercinary trainer. You can tell Hench Men because they are well equipted and disiciplined compared to other villianous agents.

I'm stealing this, but I'm stealing the Spy Factory name from from another thread. I like it!