What does 'Magic' mean to you?

The Dude

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What does 'Magic' mean to you?

Depends on the game. I did one game where "magic" was the use of ritual incantations and gestures as a concentration aid for your superpowers. (And there magic was not a special effect. Anything that worked against psi, worked against magic.) I did another where "magic" was the collected cheat codes for the universe-as-computer. And there was another where "magic" was the tendency of the universe to just bend to the will of someone who understood it well enough.

spells : magic

as

tools : technology

In an alternate dimension, I might be sending this message out to y'all through the use of my Apple brand magic spell kit. We would be speculating as to what "technology means to us".

In yet another alternate dimension, I might be a superhero. With friends who use amazing technology and other friends who use amazing magic.

I like to game Champions stuff in that last dimension.

Magic has its own set of rules that allow a skilled practitioner to manipulate (this does not mean control) reality. When someone learns to control magic, they will have the ability to do things that seems difficult (this does not include the impossible) to someone not trained in magic. Since modern society does not use magic normally, people tend to associate it with something mystical or otherworldly, although it really is psychic manipulation of reality to obtain a desired result. There will always be some price for using magic, though it may not be immediately apparent. This is why training in magic will always take years to complete, and a true practitioner will believe that they are never truly finished, hence why they call it a practice. This is really no different than the way that tech is done, although that is more accepted in modern society.

In a setting of superheroes? By the Dazzling Discs of Ditko, I automatically think of Dr. Strange :) It is an special effect, but the GM is free to put in some "rules of magic" (just like so many comic book writers have experimented with) and warn the players about some of those rules/restrictions/responsiblities so the gadgeteer doesn't feel totally unloved in comparison. It also is a grand source of background material, origins, and settings. It can put a spin on an old storyline that may (if you're lucky) make it fresh again.

I feel magic is an SFX that is defined by it's limitations, much like Gadgets (defined by foci) are.

The defining limitations are: Incantations + Gestures (almost always), Actvation/Requires Skill Roll (pretty common), and Side Effect (not too uncommon, especially on high AP effects).

Regardless of the presence of 'RSR' on powers, the charcter usually has skills pertaining to the knowledge, use, and control of magic - much like the Gadgeteer has skills pertaining to the knowledge, use, and control of technology.

In my campaigns it is a special effect with one extra: It does not even attempt to explain how it is done. Operates outside of even "weird" science. Drives science types up a tree. However, in my head it has an explaination. If you are familiar with quantum mechanics - quantum mechanics often seem just about like magic. So that is what is being used, even if you do not understand it. (You do not have to understand electricity to use it, just how it can be used.)

Yes. That is a standard example of a "multiple SFX" attack, and one of the SFX advantages that magic usually has.

Now, if magic were used to take natural fire and attack someone (like "pulling" flame from an existing source of fire), then it's a less clear-cut case. That's why Hero is a GM-moderated RPG and not a wargame.

What if a 'magic' ability is used to create a fire attack?

What if another character has a vulnerability to magical attacks?

Is the fire attack considered magical or not?

Magic, to me is too things at the same time- an SFX but also the ability of some to focus their belief/concentration to the extent that reality is "bent" around that focus.

In terms of the specific question above, yes I would rule that the magic vulnerable character should take extra damage from the magical fire attack.

To me clearly magical. So the character would suffer from his vulnerability.

If the magic was used to transport an existing fire, I would not consider it magical.

Then what happens if the character is vulnerable to fire and magic. A fire created by magic would truly scare the heck outta me if I was playing that character. :eek:

What if we have a character whose power is control of and immunity to fire (like Human Torch). We have another character who generates magical fire (like Ghost Rider). Can Ghost Rider's magical flames burn Human Torch?

If so, why?

What if we have a character whose power is control of and immunity to fire (like Human Torch). We have another character who generates magical fire (like Ghost Rider). Can Ghost Rider's magical flames burn Human Torch?

If so, why?

This depends on the mechanical builds.

Neither "magical flames" nor "immunity to fire" are powers in the Hero System.

It's quite possible that GR's flames could be bought as a weird kind of attack that could go around HT's defences. Call it "Burning his soul" or something. Or they could just be a standard attack power that HT could ignore all day.

I don't like overly complicated builds, so the second option would be more likely for characters built by me.

In my game, no. Fire is fire and magic is magic. If you use magic to make fire, it's the same as using a flamethrower to make fire. The end result is fire.

If so, why?

Somewhat moot question, because the Ghost Rider's flames don't actually burn people in the regular way; they're hellfire that attacks the psyche, so would probably be better built as an Ego Attack or something like that. The people he 'burns' suffer no physical damage, just mental trauma.

*At least, as of the last time I paid attention to Ghost Rider in the comics.

Guest steamteck

In my game' date=' no. Fire is fire and magic is magic. If you use magic to make fire, it's the same as using a flamethrower to make fire. The end result is fire.[/quote']

My approach also. The result is not really dependent on the source unless its uniquely magically different than say normal fire etc. Now a transformation spell or mental illusion etc now that's magic as far as the vulnerability is concerned .

I think my answer has to depend on the tone of the particular campaign.

In a standard super-heroic setting where there are a few magical heroes/villains, magic should be just another SFX, albeit one suiting a broader range of powers than most.

In a setting that uses mysticism and spirituality as important parts of the campaign, magic becomes charged with more meaning. Choices about using it can be determined by (or change) a character's morality, and it's sort of the "language" used to explore higher dimensions and the abstract beings that play a role in running the universe. Symbolism and cultural beliefs become important to what can be done and how it's done, rather than just a bit of flavor.

I am hearing a couple of different answers so far.

Fire created by magical means is still just 'normal' fire.

vs.

Fire created by magical means is 'magical' fire (with no points difference).

The second option appears to devalue the points spent by a character to actually create 'magical' fire (example: the flames can't be dispelled by water; only dispel vs. magic will work).

Should a dispel vs. magic work against a 'normal' fire created by magical means?