Master of Several Martial Arts

Split Decision

If I wasnt to build a character who is master of several martial arts, and some of them overlap, do I have to buy the same Martial Maneuver multiple times, defining it as different things each time, or is there another thing I need to do, such as some sort of Variable SFX Advantage, to connote the different ways the character can execute the Martial Maneuver?

Re: Master of Several Martial Arts

30 Natural Born Warrior: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points)

2u 1) Accurate Strike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=3

2u 2) Lethal Strikes: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (4d6 w/STR) (30 Active Points) - END=3

2u 3) It's All in the Reflexes: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Adjacent Hex (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs Physcial Attacks (-1) - END=0

2u 4) Economical Strength: +30 STR (30 Active Points); Conditional Power Only To Disarm, Escape, & Grab (-1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) - END=3

Telios & Andreus Panterous style

QM

If I wasnt to build a character who is master of several martial arts' date=' and some of them overlap, do I have to buy the same Martial Maneuver multiple times, defining it as different things each time, or is there another thing I need to do, such as some sort of Variable SFX Advantage, to connote the different ways the character can execute the Martial Maneuver?[/quote']

You buy each art a KS, then each manuever the arts share count as the move for all of them

so

2 KS: Karate 11-

2 KS: Kung Fu 11-

4 Karate Punch, Kung fu Kick (Martial Strike)

Going by the technicalities of SF/X, yes, Split, you do. A kind GM will do as JmOz has said. A semi-kind GM will allow you to take VFX (+1/2) on the 'actual' cost (3, 4, 5) of each maneuver, thus adding a point or two to each maneuver to represent all the various things the character can do, and that putting him in handcuffs isn't going to reduce his ability to Martial Grab you....

Going by the technicalities of SF/X' date=' yes, Split, you do. A kind GM will do as JmOz has said. A semi-kind GM will allow you to take VFX (+1/2) on the 'actual' cost (3, 4, 5) of each maneuver, thus adding a point or two to each maneuver to represent all the various things the character can do, and that putting him in handcuffs isn't going to reduce his ability to Martial Grab you....[/quote']

Mine is from The Ultimate Martial Artist

All of these ideas feel right. For this particular project, Jim's construction feels the rightest- which is not an excuse to spend fewer points. I think TQM's build is worth the point difference, but Jim's is going to work better for this guy.

Thank you and don't let me stop the conversation.

You buy each art a KS, then each manuever the arts share count as the move for all of them

so

This is correct. You don't have to repurchase shared maneuvers between multiple styles. Not that it matters, but his even somewhat models reality inasmuch as a master of one style is usually (not always) able to learn elements of another style easier than a noob (though for some this isnt true -- the habits they've learned from one style can interfere with learning the new style).

I've always assumed that to master two seperate arts, you had to buy 10 pts in each in non-overlapping manuevers - i.e. if you already have a Martial Dodge in Art I you wouldn't buy it again for Art II, you'd buy 10 pts of manuevers in Art II that you don't already have. That's how I've done it before.

If that's not possible, then I would probably let you count a manuever for each art, but not make you buy it a second time.

I've also done mix and matching with characters that mastered maybe one art, but knew moves from others. Like a certain French Foreign Legionnaire I remember who had studied savatte, wrestling, boxing, and fencing, and remembered bits of all of it, would probably have a hard time passing muster as a "master" of any of them.

I might also suggest reducing or even eliminating the Style Disadvantage, especially if you master three or more disciplines. If the Style Disadvantage means anything, it means that someone with the right knowledge can watch your fighting stance and get a good idea what you can and can't do - and if you have multiple fighting styles at your disposal, that simply wouldn't be true.

Lucius Alexander

Style Disadvantage: Palindromedary

The 10 point Martial Art minimum should be thrown completly out of the window. Real people don't save up points and then buy martial arts in groups of ten. It makes no sense whatsoever.

It is the GM's job to sto abusive builds. ;)

The 10 point Martial Art minimum should be thrown completly out of the window. Real people don't save up points and then buy martial arts in groups of ten. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I like the 10pt minimum. Sure it's a mechanics thing, but Martial Arts is just too effective to allow anyone to spend 5 points on a FMove Dodge, or 4 points on a Martial Block because they learned some basic self defense at the Y. The 10 points adds another limitation to some pretty effective "powers" to help balance them out.

so

Yes.

Going by the technicalities of SF/X' date=' yes, Split, you do. A kind GM will do as JmOz has said. A semi-kind GM will allow you to take VFX (+1/2) on the 'actual' cost (3, 4, 5) of each maneuver, thus adding a point or two to each maneuver to represent all the various things the character can do, and that putting him in handcuffs isn't going to reduce his ability to Martial Grab you....[/quote']

Way too complicated for my tastes. The SFX question is already answered by the nature of the attack. I roll X dice normal. What's the special effect? My guy is a trained martial artist. There is very little difference between an MA built with martial maneuvers and one built with HTH attacks and levels, or a Multipower, as far as SFX are concerned.

I like the 10pt minimum. Sure it's a mechanics thing' date=' but Martial Arts is just too effective to allow anyone to spend 5 points on a FMove Dodge, or 4 points on a Martial Block because they learned some basic self defense at the Y. The 10 points adds another limitation to some pretty effective "powers" to help balance them out.[/quote']

I believe that the 10-point minimum is designed to model the point at which a martial arts student becomes knowledgeable enough to actually be effective in a fight. This is as opposed to all the strip mall Taekwondo green belts out there with one maneuver, no levels, and an 8- roll on the KS skill. That guy is not going to be a player character unless you are playing a very specific type of campaign.

As such, I've never had a problem with it.

Well, really... what´s the result of buying several martial arts? It´s not just more manuevers... you can do that within the same martial art.

It´s throwing of things like Anyalyze: Fighting Style.

So... can you buy defenses against that and just call it a day?

It's an authenticity thing.

Sure. I could just throw down with a Cosmic VPP, and define it as awesome martial artist skills.

But that's both bland and inauthentic.

This is a very specific person, and he very specifically is a master of several martial arts.

Although buying some sort of resistance to Analyze Martial Arts Style would be hilarious. Kind of like buying a Flash that only affects Bump of Direction.

Well, really... what´s the result of buying several martial arts? It´s not just more manuevers... you can do that within the same martial art.

It´s throwing of things like Anyalyze: Fighting Style.

So... can you buy defenses against that and just call it a day?

Well, I rarely see the Style Disadvantage used in Champions games, as most folks have some form of the Generic Comic Book Martial Arts package. To me, martial arts styles would come up more often in a heroic level Ninja Hero or Dark Champions game.

In a Champions game, since no one has taken a style disadvantage anyway, I would allow the Analyze: Style skill to function normally on everyone. You would just role play it as:

"I can tell that you have studied with many different masters and that is unfortunately your weakness. You have not learned enough about X style to adapt your defense to compensate for some of its more subtle weaknesses." THWACK!

OR

"You have truly mastered X style. I commend you. However, you should really broaden your horizons. If you had some knowledge of Y style, you would have seen this coming." THWACK!

When the dice come up right, you have to be ready in either event. It also helps if you can do that thing where your words aren't in synch with your lips. :)

Although buying some sort of resistance to Analyze Martial Arts Style would be hilarious. Kind of like buying a Flash that only affects Bump of Direction.

Wasn't there a build out there somewhere for defense vs. Analyze Combat Style through a cape or other long flowing object- sort of a covering of your moves under an object to throw off an opponent? I was pretty sure I saw tha somewhere in an official product somewhere along the way.

It's an authenticity thing.

:confused:

This is HERO System. By it's very nature there are multiple ways to purchase the same ability. Buying Martial Maneuvers and Damage Classes that Steve has determined represent Boxing is no more authentic than buying Hand Attack dice and some levels with Strike and calling it Boxing.

Some ways are easier though, just due to the mechanics involved. Buying Martial Throw, for example, requires a lot less work than attempting to create that maneuver from scratch (though some people have already done the hard work for you...)

Although buying some sort of resistance to Analyze Martial Arts Style would be hilarious.

Officially, Lack of Weakness makes Analyze: Style rolls harder to perform.

If I wasnt to build a character who is master of several martial arts' date=' and some of them overlap, do I have to buy the same Martial Maneuver multiple times, defining it as different things each time, or is there another thing I need to do, such as some sort of Variable SFX Advantage, to connote the different ways the character can execute the Martial Maneuver?[/quote']

The book legal way? hmmm... take the moves you want, then buy KS) the styles you want, now the M/S is a Muey thai kick one phase and a Shoto kan kick the next....

Example: Master of many forms: Scholar (or Expert!)

Mar. strike

Mar. Kick

Mar. Throw

Mar. Block

Mar. Dodge

KS: Shorin ryu, Muey thai, Penjak-silat, Escrima, Judo (5 pts)

Total cost 8 pts, plus the moves for umm 28 pts? Buy levels, skills and DC's as needed...

Guess I should have read the thread before answering.... :)

I beleive that you can counter a Analyze style by changing styles via KS's maybe UMA?

It also can be helpful for a "Zoro" style martial arts hero..."Don guapo is a TKD guy! El Phantasmo uses Kempo!"