How about anime Campaigns?

Re: How about anime Campaigns?

I would like to have seen a Mecha Hero book' date=' but I resigned myself very early on to it not getting done. I think that the fact that everything in Hero is purchased as effects rather than as components makes it a bit of a hard sell for gearheads who thrive on things like [i']Mekton[/i].

I play with hardcore Mekton fans (I'm one myself) and its a very hard sell. I've pretty much convinced my players to switch to Hero for just about every other genre besides Cyberpunk and Mecha stuff. Even then, if the Mecha campaign includes a lot of superpowers, I steer them toward Hero.

So I guess books don't have genres either. I mean by the time you include them all, there's not much it all has in common but some general elements of writing style and maybe some local culture influence.

And let's not even bring up live movies

My point exactly! Having an "anime" genre guidebook would be just as much help as having a "book" genre guidebook or a "live movie" guidbook. Way too broad!

To finally get around to answering the OP's question... ;)

Yes, it will be possible to run an anime-influenced game under 6e (or any other version of) Hero. After all, Hero can handle any genre. However, there will probably not be an anime sourcebook like Big Eyes, Small Mouth. You'll have to either adapt from an existing genre book or create your own using the core rules.

To finally get around to answering the OP's question... ;)

Yes, it will be possible to run an anime-influenced game under 6e (or any other version of) Hero. After all, Hero can handle any genre. However, there will probably not be an anime sourcebook like Big Eyes, Small Mouth. You'll have to either adapt from an existing genre book or create your own using the core rules.

Someone should really mention Susano's website. Lots of tasty 5th Edition writeups to give you an idea of how certain characters from certain genres work in Hero, easily translatable to 6e once it comes out (at least as easily as any other set of characters). Susano is especially fond of the grittier settings like Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon and Outlaw Star -- stuff that mixes Dark Champions and Star Hero.

Aside from that, one way to go about preparing a campaign is to take a series or movie you want to emulate, model a few of the characters (don't worry about point totals -- that's what the Experience Bonus is for) and then apply what you've learned to the game you're planning to run. This will give you a better grasp of reasonable point totals than just taking a standard number and running with it. It will also give you an idea what powers to encourage and which to disallow or restrict (some examples would be to require anything truly superhuman, such as characteristics higher than the NCM, to be bought through Foci to encourage people to invest in mecha, or to require all Powers to take specific usage limitations applicable only to mages or psis). It's your and your group's campaign, so you aren't necessarily limited by particular setting details.

Someone should really mention Susano's website. Lots of tasty 5th Edition writeups to give you an idea of how certain characters from certain genres work in Hero' date=' easily translatable to 6e once it comes out (at least as easily as any other set of characters). Susano is especially fond of the grittier settings like [i']Cowboy Bebop[/i], Black Lagoon and Outlaw Star -- stuff that mixes Dark Champions and Star Hero.

It doesn't hurt that Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon and Outlaw Star are all very game-able settings as well with a lot of room for the PCs to do their thing.

I would like to have seen a Mecha Hero book' date=' but I resigned myself very early on to it not getting done. I think that the fact that everything in Hero is purchased as effects rather than as components makes it a bit of a hard sell for gearheads who thrive on things like [i']Mekton[/i].

That element of the hero system is no deterrent to Mecha Hero being made. It was no problem for Star Hero, was it?

All it means is that a mecha hero GM needs to figure out what flavor of mecha tech he wants in the game and make appropriate elements available. There's nothing inherent to mecha games that dictates that players have any influence at all in their mechs. (original Macross series for example)

Some games will focus on the arms race of constantly evolving and improving mecha designs. Some will not. The former style of game will require more on the part of the GM to manage the technological game of one-upsmanship. The latter will require more focus on character growth, internal development and relationship issues.

Just thinking out loud here: at some point I wonder if Hero Games would like to produce an anime styled supplement. It should be at least as popular as Urban Fantasy and The Atlantean Age. I think "The Anime Hero" would be a fine title, and including three or four mini settings like UF would be excellent.

Votes on which mini settings? I think a future dystopia like Battle Angle Alita or Ghost in the Shell would be a near requirement. A giant mecha soldier campaign would also be a near requirement. For setting #3? How about something unusual, like a social setting, where relationships are emphasized. Could be hard to game but I think some creative minds could come up with some interesting ideas.

Just thinking out loud here: at some point I wonder if Hero Games would like to produce an anime styled supplement. It should be at least as popular as Urban Fantasy and The Atlantean Age. I think "The Anime Hero" would be a fine title, and including three or four mini settings like UF would be excellent.

Votes on which mini settings? I think a future dystopia like Battle Angle Alita or Ghost in the Shell would be a near requirement. A giant mecha soldier campaign would also be a near requirement. For setting #3? How about something unusual, like a social setting, where relationships are emphasized. Could be hard to game but I think some creative minds could come up with some interesting ideas.

Blackwyrm Games will be releasing Kazei 5 later this year. It contain elements of Battle Angle Alita and Ghost in the Shell.

Like I said upthread;

Anime fits the technical definition of genre, as do "books"; "Hollywood Film"; "Comics"; "television"; "hong kong film"; "music"; "painting" ...

The category is so broad that the label "genre" is an effectively useless label. Which is why I say "Anime is not a genre, it's a style" -- it let's you know that the are only Cultural Styling Elements that define it as a whole, and within that Style are Effectively Useful Genre Labels.

anime is a genre only by the dictionary. In practical use it is not a genre.

Wasn't the mid-to-late 80s Hero Games product "Robot Warriors" a "Mecha Hero" game (albeit a 3rd edition game using it's own rules)?

Yes, emphasizing mecha as military weapons. You could run some flavors of Gundam in it with some work (Though Wing or 00 would be harder), but one of the features of the Gundam series is that there are mecha and then there are SUPER-MECHA which plow through regular mecha like a hot knife through butter.

Yes' date=' emphasizing mecha as military weapons. You could run some flavors of Gundam in it with some work (Though Wing or 00 would be harder), but one of the features of the Gundam series is that there are mecha and then there are [i']SUPER-MECHA[/i] which plow through regular mecha like a hot knife through butter.

Not that hard to tweek though. RW is good for ideas, but there are many things pretty easy to do in 5th.

Not that hard to tweek though. RW is good for ideas' date=' but there are many things pretty easy to do in 5th.[/quote']

Agreed. Treat a mecha as a Vehicle under the rules and it should be all right, especially with the right Limitations. (I'm surprised mecha in anime don't get tripped up more often, especially the ground-pounders. Heck, even the bleedin' Ewoks were able to immobilize walking mecha that way).

Agreed. Treat a mecha as a Vehicle under the rules and it should be all right' date=' especially with the right Limitations. (I'm surprised mecha in anime don't get tripped up more often, especially the ground-pounders. Heck, even the bleedin' [i']Ewoks[/i] were able to immobilize walking mecha that way).

Yes, well... let's not talk about Ewoks versus the Imperium, okay?

Civ II did not actually fix that, they just made it less likely. Heck CivIII could still make it happen excessively rarely.

CivIV finally fixed it completely.

That's right... I don't think I saw much of that when I played Civ II. It was really annoying in Civ I.

That always reminds me of Civilization games where your tanks encounter a spearman and he kills about ten of them.

That's right... I don't think I saw much of that when I played Civ II. It was really annoying in Civ I.

Spearmen rule :rockon:

what?