Duel battons

JmOz

Re: Duel battons

Think Nightwing' date=' I want to make a character, using 6th edition that among other things fights with a pair so fighting sticks, trying to figure out the best way to mechanically represent this.[/quote']

You have multiple ways of handling this based on what your goal for the character is.

I will assume 3d6N baton damage, based on the weapon damage table on 6E2 204

1. Baton: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)
    This will cost 10 points for the 1st Baton and +5 points for the 2nd

This version is the simplest version. Attacking with both batons involves the Multiple Attack rules and you can choose Two-Weapon Fighting and possibly Rapid Attack
  2. Batons: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Autofire (2 shots; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (34 Active Points); OAF (Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness; -3/4), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)
    This will cost 17 points

This version simulates the multiple attacks and if you lost one focus, we can assume the reduced effectiveness is the loss of the autofire. The rules for applying STR to an advantaged HTH may come into play here and it may not work well with Martial Art attacks
  3. Batons: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); OAF (Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness; -3/4), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)
    This will cost 22 points

With this option, you stack the damage from both batons into a huge attack and can assume the reduced effectiveness from the loss of a baton, in this case, is the loss of 3d6 damage to normal baton damage.

Here's one way to incorporate range:

16 Dual Batons: Multipower, 37-point reserve, (37 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=

1f 1) Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (37 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4) - END=0

1f 2) Blast 6d6 (vs. PD), Armor Piercing (+1/4) (37 Active Points); 2 Recoverable Charges (-1), Lockout (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) - END=[2 rc]

Here's one way to incorporate range:

16 Dual Batons: Multipower, 37-point reserve, (37 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=

1f 1) Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (37 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4) - END=0

1f 2) Blast 6d6 (vs. PD), Armor Piercing (+1/4) (37 Active Points); 2 Recoverable Charges (-1), Lockout (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) - END=[2 rc]

Instead of the AP on thrown attack, would it not make more sense to have AF:2 shots instead?

Instead of the AP on thrown attack' date=' would it not make more sense to have AF:2 shots instead?[/quote']

My build was taking into consideration that this is for supers.

A 6d6 Blast is going to just bounce otherwise without some way to get past defenses. The sfx could be accuracy of throw (hits opponent in face).

Also, keep in mind that Autofire doesn't reduce a character's OCV.

It gives a benefit to making a good roll to hit. Characters can always use the Multiple Attack maneuver (the new replacement for Sweep, MPA and Rapid Fire) with a -OCV penalty on all attempts* for every attack beyond the first.

Everyone has already pretty much summed up much of my thoughts.

You are definitely looking at the 'muli-use weapon multipower.'

Back in the day, the example was the handaxe.

1 slot was HtH and the other slot was a ranged slot with lockout.

However, I do think that I like the AF better than an Multi-Attack. Escrima, like many two weapon styles, is about using the weapons in concert. Each and every blow is part of a larger attack. You may strike with the left, but only to create an opening with the right.

I may not be expressing myself very clearly, but the way the rules break out I think AF is more appropriate for this type of attack. If you make a good roll, you have created a decent opening for a second strike, and that's when the AF kicks in. I wouldn't even necessarily limit the AF to 2. Multiple quick beats are possible with Escrima, and it is possible (as my rather bruised knuckles and forearms could attest) to stike three, four or even five times in a single attack routine (within one second).

However' date=' I do think that I like the AF better than an Multi-Attack. Escrima, like many two weapon styles, is about using the weapons in concert. Each and every blow is part of a larger attack. You may strike with the left, but only to create an opening with the right.

You spoke of using Escrima, but how is MA handled with an autofire Hand Attack. I recall reading that with an advantaged HA can only take use the advantages if the STR of the user does not surpass the base cost of the power, but I don't recall anything about how Martial Arts is handled.

simply put, the pair of sticks is just a s/fx. What you do is hit people. mostly, you hit one person at a time.

What I would do is this:

+Xd6 normal damage (up to the point where you think the damage should be) +3d6 normal damage limit: Only for spreading.

This allows you to be extremely accurate and difficult to block (tougher to block two sticks than one) and also allows you to try to nail multiple targets if they are within your strike distance (typically adjacent to you)

Depending on his skill with the sticks, his Multipower might also benefit from:

* Telekinesis (10 STR), Fine Manipulation; Instant, Only for Pushing/Hitting (useful for tripping, diarming, throwing switches, and the like)

* Deflection

* Flash (hit them between the eyes; or box their ears)

* Indirect Blast (useful for that amazing ricochet bounce)

* Double Knockback Blast (great for hitting that moving target in the back of the knee, or tossing the stick just under a foot, etc)

* In fact, just a Blast, Variable Advantage would be pretty useful