Is "ether" real?

Yansuf

Re: Is "ether" real?

Einstein's special theory dismisses ether as not required to explain the known data. That leaves us with the oddity that light is a wave but there is no medium it waves in.
*Sigh* No, light is neither a wave nor a particle. It is light. It is its own little thing, which happens to sometimes have properties more like a wave and sometimes more like particle, without ever actually being either.

No. In general, Chaos Manor is like listening to that one uncle you only have to see once a year going on about Vince Foster years after all rest of the tinfoil hatters have moved on to 9-11.

Pournelle's recent meditations about "dark matter" being "the aether" are even worse. C'mon, where's your basic integrity, Doctor Pournelle? Tom Bethell's crackpot 1990s campaign against "Einstein" in the pages of American Spectator may still be getting press, but the refutations (and I bang my head that they are even needed) are old, old, old.

http://www.salon.com/people/feature/2000/07/06/einstein/print.html

(edit): Ooh! I knew I'd read something a little more current on this whole, sordid mess:

http://www.farrellmedia.com/2006_01_01_BlogArchive.html#113846684202917138

Dr. Jerry Pournelle (website: www.jerrypournelle.com)

speculated today that:

"the interesting theory just now is "Dark Matter is Ether" ".

I found it very interesting

I've been contemplating the possibility a bit myself, lately. Many of the specific properties of dark matter are clearly different from what was once thought about ether, but there does seem to be a correlation. It wouldn't be the first time a theory once dismissed as poppycock turned out to be correct.
You'd have to ask the ether bunny...
He's busy right now' date=' down in the mines, collecting ether ore.
*Sigh* No, light is neither a wave nor a particle. It is light. It is its own little thing, which happens to sometimes have properties more like a wave and sometimes more like particle, without ever actually being either.
Light actually isn't neither; according to the most reliable theories, it's both. The medium of the wave is space itself, which vibrates in a fourth spatial dimension. The photon (which itself is a supermicroscopic vibration in space, as are all subatomic particles) rides this wave to wherever it goes.

Well, if dark matter is the old ether, then it's fundamentally different in its entire concept. The original ether concept was there to carry the vibrating electric and magnetic fields which make for electromagnetic waves ... in effect, it was to carry the electromagnetic force ... and it has no other observable consequences. By definition, dark matter does not interact via the electromagnetic force at all. It's almost the logical inversion of the old ether idea in that sense.

Now, if you want to postulate an all-pervading field that interacts via gravity but is otherwise unobservable (and in this sense it is vaguely analogous to the old ether concept), you can do that. We need to see some predictions about what else this field might do, so we can send this century's equivalent of A. A. Michelson to build a device of unprecedented sensitivity, look for the field, and get a null result....

I've been contemplating the possibility a bit myself' date=' lately. Many of the specific properties of dark matter are clearly different from what was once thought about ether, but there does seem to be a correlation. It wouldn't be the first time a theory once dismissed as poppycock turned out to be correct.He's busy right now, down in the mines, collecting ether ore.Light actually isn't neither; according to the most reliable theories, it's both. The medium of the wave is space itself, which vibrates in a fourth spatial dimension. The photon (which itself is a supermicroscopic vibration in space, as are all subatomic particles) rides this wave to wherever it goes.[/quote']

That, sir, sounds suspiciously like string theory.

Well' date=' if dark matter is the old ether, then it's fundamentally different in its entire concept. The original ether concept was there to carry the vibrating electric and magnetic fields which make for electromagnetic waves ... in effect, it was to carry the electromagnetic force ... and it has no other observable consequences. [u']By definition[/u], dark matter does not interact via the electromagnetic force at all. It's almost the logical inversion of the old ether idea in that sense.

So Dark Matter is anti-ether? :D

On the other hand, Modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND) is a testable hypothesis, and if it checks out "Dark Matter" falls out of the equasion just as ether did when Special Relativity was accepted.

Well' date=' if dark matter is the old ether, then it's fundamentally different in its entire concept. The original ether concept was there to carry the vibrating electric and magnetic fields which make for electromagnetic waves ... in effect, it was to carry the electromagnetic force ... and it has no other observable consequences. [u']By definition[/u], dark matter does not interact via the electromagnetic force at all. It's almost the logical inversion of the old ether idea in that sense.

If that's the case, then we should stop calling it ether because it's confusing. We should call the original concept of ether oether, and the new concept... nether! Well, either nether or naether. Neither has been used before, or have they?:P

You could in principle decide to call 'dark matter' ether, but doing so has no useful function and is likely to confuse people. Having finally read the article, the first sentence tells me enough to know that JP has no idea what he's talking about: The major evidence for the special theory of relativity is the Michaelson-Morely (sic) experiment, which demonstrated that there was no "ether wind" due to the movement of the earth through it. This is simply not true. Michelson-Morley was one of the experiments that led up to SR (and was resolved, initially, via the Lorenz Contraction), but it's hardly either the only evidence, or the major evidence.

*Sigh* No' date=' light is neither a wave nor a particle. It is light. It is its own little thing, which happens to sometimes have properties more like a wave and sometimes more like particle, without ever actually being either.[/quote']

Yes! It is amazing how hard it is to get this idea through to people. A giraffe is not a dog just because they both have four legs, not is it snake just because they both have long necks. I don't know why people insist on calling light a wave, a particle or both instead just letting it be its own animal.

Well' date=' it's mainly because experiments can be conducted which quite clearly demonstrate that light is a wave, and which quite clearly demonstrate that light is a particle.[/quote']

No, experiments can be done that demonstrate that light has properties associated with waves, and properties associated with particles. The same experiment can easily do both.

I would assume so, but it'd be rather more difficult to demonstrate, since the force coupling those two is more likely to be the strong force rather than the electromagnetic (or electroweak) force. Our technology is almost entirely electromagnetic.

• 1 month later...

Yes Ether is real!

This website discusses the new aether theory in detail..

Einstein was right about the shortcomings of Quantum Mechanics and so therefore String Theory is also the incorrect approach. As an alternative to Quantum Theory there is a new theory that describes and explains the mysteries of physical reality. While not disrespecting the value of Quantum Mechanics as a tool to explain the role of quanta in our universe. This theory states that there is also a classical explanation for the paradoxes such as EPR and the Wave-Particle Duality. The Theory is called the Theory of Super Relativity and is located at: http://www.superrelativity.org

This theory is a philosophical attempt to reconnect the physical universe to realism and deterministic concepts. It explains the mysterious.

You could in principle decide to call 'dark matter' ether' date=' but doing so has no useful function and is likely to confuse people. Having finally read the article, the first sentence tells me enough to know that JP has no idea what he's talking about: [i']The major evidence for the special theory of relativity is the Michaelson-Morely[/i] (sic) experiment, which demonstrated that there was no "ether wind" due to the movement of the earth through it. This is simply not true. Michelson-Morley was one of the experiments that led up to SR (and was resolved, initially, via the Lorenz Contraction), but it's hardly either the only evidence, or the major evidence.

JP has no idea what he's talking about? Well, that never stopped him before. :snicker:

Don't look at me,

Xavier Onassiss