A Storeowner's First Impression

scottgambit

Re: A Storeowner's First Impression

Why not put the Hex-man in the center, with 6 little circular character portraits--a fantasy character, a sci fi hero, a superhero, a martial artist, a street samurai, and a pulp adventurer--surrounding it? Then a "recycled" version of the old HSR group pic on the back cover...or maybe in a two page splash when you crack open the book.

The color scheme of the book is fine, just would have been nice to see a little character art there.

Something like this???

[NOTE: This is just a quick collage of existing art for demonstration purposes]

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not put the Hex-man in the center, with 6 little circular character portraits--a fantasy character, a sci fi hero, a superhero, a martial artist, a street samurai, and a pulp adventurer--surrounding it? Then a "recycled" version of the old HSR group pic on the back cover...or maybe in a two page splash when you crack open the book.

The color scheme of the book is fine, just would have been nice to see a little character art there.

Good idea, or maybe even add in 6 more, including a vehicle, robot or so to show these can also be built. Might make a good idea for a poster or flier also: 6-12 different characters/automatons/etc. pictured with the text:

"WHAT DO THESE HAVE IN COMMON?"

"They were all created in the Hero System - twin books of rules to create and play any character or any equipment, in your favorite setting and genre. The Hero System leaves your choices up to you."

etc.

On the overall page count thing, I'm curious to know what the diehards' upper tolerance limit is for the "core" rules...1000? 1200? 1500? 2500? If putting 800 pages in one volume is a logistical challenge, and the longest book previously done clocked in at just under 600, I'm guessing the upper limit would be 3 volumes and 1200-1800 pages? 600 pages on character creation would have to be pretty darn comprehensive, and 400+ on combat would as well. I think you'd have a hard time writing a 3rd book covering adventuring, that was longer than about 250 pages, without actually incorporating some "sample" settings and a bunch of adventure ideas and character writeups.

I still think the "smaller and simpler is better" side of the argument will finally win one(and get it right in the process) with 8th edition, but I've been wrong on that before. I think the current trend will continue through 7th edition, though. That's why I'm wondering how far it will go...

Examples and explanations do eat up pages, but my personal upper tolerance of page count is relative to how these pages are actually used. I'm beginning to think that it would be interesting to have a reference work as well, that left out all explanations and examples. That would be nifty - and do both of these things.

If folks are worried that the 600+ page tomes are too much, or will frighten prospective players, may I recommend a copy of the Hero System Basic Rules? Everything you need to play, packed into a svelt 130 pages of awesome!

Also, I hear that the AD on that book is the world's coolest guy who'll even sign your copy for you if you meet him at a con. :cool:

Rifts is a system that you need to buy a lot of stuff for, and some of it contradicts itself, but the game is still fun to play. The fact that you don't like it doesn't change the fact that people do.

Yet, people who don't even PLAY the game buy all those books because the world itself is interesting.

Art does not lie. It merely creates interpretations. You just happen not to like that interpretation.

First, when I bought Rifts there was one book: Rifts. Nothing else. First Edition Rifts.

Second, you seemed to have missed the point of the comment: I didn't like it, and I bought based on something that had nothing to do with the actual gameplay: cover art. And severely disappointed.

No. I didn't miss the comment. I understand that you didn't like it. You're free to not like it. But since you seem to believe that nothing is wrong with 6th edition and that there are no flaws, Winston, you might want to think twice before badmouthing systems which people are aware are flawed and play anyway.

My point was that "You bought it, didn't you?' Therefore, the OP is right. Your disappointment notwithstanding, art DOES sell books, and your own disillusionment notwithstanding, his view is essentially correct.

Rifts is a system that you need to buy a lot of stuff for, and some of it contradicts itself, but the game is still fun to play. The fact that you don't like it doesn't change the fact that people do.

Yet, people who don't even PLAY the game buy all those books because the world itself is interesting.

Art does not lie. It merely creates interpretations. You just happen not to like that interpretation.

I thought much of Rifts was interesting (and have thought about trying to get a bunch of the sourcebooks if I can find them cheap and porting them over to the Hero system), but stopped playing after the first session, when I realized that magicians do SDC damage, and everyone else does MDC damage.

It was very disappointing to realize that your best spell is somewhat less effective than a spitball in combat.

Generally very nice artwork though.

Tell ya what, guys, how about we hold off on furthering this discussion until you've actually seen the books that are designed to bring in players unfamiliar with the Hero System, like Champions Online and Champions itself? I believe that many of you will have most of your concerns addressed by those... dw

No. I didn't miss the comment. I understand that you didn't like it. You're free to not like it. But since you seem to believe that nothing is wrong with 6th edition and that there are no flaws, Winston, you might want to think twice before badmouthing systems which people are aware are flawed and play anyway.

My point was that "You bought it, didn't you?' Therefore, the OP is right. Your disappointment notwithstanding, art DOES sell books, and your own disillusionment notwithstanding, his view is essentially correct.

No - you didn't get it.

I don't think 6E is flawless either.

Ever call me "Winston" again in a post I tag it as a personal attack. That's not my name and I believe you've just used it in a condescending manner.

Tell ya what' date=' guys, how about we hold off on furthering this discussion until you've actually seen the books that are designed to bring in players unfamiliar with the Hero System, like Champions Online and Champions itself? I believe that many of you will have most of your concerns addressed by those... dw[/quote']

Having seen the 6E harcopies, I really do like them a lot, the blue in person is actually kind of a cool blue to see on a book.

. . . Any chance we get a sneak peak at the Champions cover? :)

Something like this???

[NOTE: This is just a quick collage of existing art for demonstration purposes]

Nice enough, I guess. Doesn't do much for me. And it really only says "superhero". But as I've said before, I prefer simplicity in design.

Yes all you need to play

but only 90% of everything there are a few things it does not have

I would love to see a 200 page Hero system book like in 4th ed but alas it is not to be so

If folks are worried that the 600+ page tomes are too much, or will frighten prospective players, may I recommend a copy of the Hero System Basic Rules? Everything you need to play, packed into a svelt 130 pages of awesome!

Also, I hear that the AD on that book is the world's coolest guy who'll even sign your copy for you if you meet him at a con. :cool: