Your Version of FRANKEN-HERO

lapsedgamer

I have decided not to take the full plunge into 6th, but I am going to pick up the new Basic Rulebook and probably the new version of Champions (mainly for sentimental reasons). A question for those who have gotten into the new version, but aren't going to go the full monty on their changeover: What are you keeping, and what are you updating?

So far, I'm thinking about keeping figured characteristics and most of the old character cost structure.

1) I like more base points and fewer Disdas (Complications).

2) I like what I've heard about Unified Power, and I believe I can do a workaround for it in the old version of Hero Designer with a cutom modfier. EC was a mess sometimes.

3) I like some of the cleanup of skill levels and powers, especially defenses. At least I like what I've heard about them.

On the other hand:

1) I'm keeping COM

2) As stated above, I will not abandon figured characteristics. Sorry, just a curmudgeon I guess.

How about you guys?

Re: Your Version of FRANKEN-HERO

I've been going through it, albeit slowly. So far I'm going to take it as is. But then, I run heroic games so aside from using powers for genre-specific talent construction, I'm pretty much focused on characteristics, perks, talents, and skills. Its more a question of what I do to "toolkit" than anything. I'll post again when I have a list of tweaks in mind.

I didn't think I'd like the loss of figured CHA either, but after making up a few 6e characters, I have to say it turns out to be rather liberating. Figured CHA contributed to CHA inflation (because STR and CON in particular were so cheap) and gaming the system (sure my energy projector isn't an Olympic weight lifter, but he needs a 20 STR to remain cost-competative). It also made characters rather uniform (23 DEX in particular was such a nice breakpoint even for nominally low-DEX types like bricks).

From a gaming logic standpoint I totally buy into figured CHA, but practically speaking I think the game works better without them. Give it a try, you might like it.

Say! I like green eggs and ham!

I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!

And I would eat them in a boat.

And I would eat them with a goat... And I will eat them in the rain.

And in the dark. And on a train.

And in a car. And in a tree.

They are so good, so good, you see!

I'm sticking with native 6th Edition rules, even things I don't particularly like, like Dex costing two points, even after OCV, DCV and Speed were removed from it's figureds. I like for the work I do to be fully compatible with everyone else and creating 'house rules' makes that work incompatible. That said, I will occasionally add things to the system, like my rule for lucky damage dice: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/76612-Lucky-Damage-Dice

Pretty much straight 6E so far. The only tweak I have made was to create a separate stat called "Initiative" at 1 point per and reduced the cost of Dex to 1 point per. I didn't see any reason not to break that last extra function out of Dex and get rid of the the Gunfighters that were Olympic Gymnasts by default.

Guest steamteck

My group is fanatically opposed to 6th having read through The basic rules. however, if I ever did adopt it, I would have to at minimum put figures back in including derived CVs etc, ECs back in and COM back ( which would come along way to making it more acceptable) But I'm just not seeing anything I really want to use that I don't already have just as good tools for..

I have decided not to take the full plunge into 6th, but I am going to pick up the new Basic Rulebook and probably the new version of Champions (mainly for sentimental reasons). A question for those who have gotten into the new version, but aren't going to go the full monty on their changeover: What are you keeping, and what are you updating?

So far, I'm thinking about keeping figured characteristics and most of the old character cost structure.

1) I like more base points and fewer Disdas (Complications).

2) I like what I've heard about Unified Power, and I believe I can do a workaround for it in the old version of Hero Designer with a cutom modfier. EC was a mess sometimes.

3) I like some of the cleanup of skill levels and powers, especially defenses. At least I like what I've heard about them.

On the other hand:

1) I'm keeping COM

2) As stated above, I will not abandon figured characteristics. Sorry, just a curmudgeon I guess.

How about you guys?

While I'm taking the full plunge, I suspect that some of my players will only adopt parts of 6e and make a Franken-HERO system.

Luckily to me, they're easy enough to mix together. :)

I'm sticking with 5th edition for my next campaign as I'm more comfortable with it and none of the players have played any edition of HERO. That said, I'll probably drop COM and ECs and bring in Unified Power. And maybe make OCV and DCV characteristics (but still figured) to make it easier have differing values. I'll know more once I get further into 6th.

I personaly have 2 things right now I am thinking of doing

Dex/Inititive being two stats costing one point each

Anything that refrences 6m (Such as move through) will be 5m instead, such a simple change, balance wise not much different, math on the fly alot easier

will do native for the game I'm in

4th,5th &6th

what I would like to see is a base 5th game

divorce Str from figured(give Stun fully to Con and PD to Body)

have the priimary stats cost equal to what it would cost buying figureds seperatly

use power tweaks from 6th and add back in Instant change from 4th

super heroic pts wpuld be 325+75

In the end, I'm using toolkitting options more than I'm changing anything.

Genre specific Strength Chart

Dexterity costs 1:1.

No Combat Values. [1]

No Endurance.

Languages as Intelligence Skills.

Combo Skills (esp. for backgrounds) with GM Permission.

Complications run on HAP instead of CP.

Characters may make a non-movement, non-attack half-phase action after attacking.

Optional combat maneuvers - yes.

Hit locations - yes (avoids the reworked stun multiplier).

I will be porting in scads of 5E talents - esp. from PH and DC.

[1] 11 + Attackers Offensive Levels - Defenders Defensive Levels = To Hit on 3d6.

Sticking with 5th Ed Rev. with the following changes/additons:

• Bringing back 4th Ed Regeneration and adding the Heal Limbs and Resurrection Adders from Healing to it.
  • Bringing back 4th Ed Instant Change.

This is similar to how my group plays. Another good one is the 4th Ed adder to Aid/Healing of 1 pt per 2 points of increased maximum. This is for those healing machines that will (eventually) restore your Stun/Body, but could never do it all in one shot.

6e all the way .......Ever see those small withered herds of ADnD folks still shuffling along out there, lost in the night, alone, no one to play with.....sad sad thing.....

Besides. It works better. Both in function, tool kit-ness, and adaptability.

~Rex

In the end, I'm using toolkitting options more than I'm changing anything.

Genre specific Strength Chart

Dexterity costs 1:1.

No Combat Values. [1]

No Endurance.

Languages as Intelligence Skills.

Combo Skills (esp. for backgrounds) with GM Permission.

Complications run on HAP instead of CP.

Characters may make a non-movement, non-attack half-phase action after attacking.

Optional combat maneuvers - yes.

Hit locations - yes (avoids the reworked stun multiplier).

I will be porting in scads of 5E talents - esp. from PH and DC.

[1] 11 + Attackers Offensive Levels - Defenders Defensive Levels = To Hit on 3d6.

That's what I plan to play around with too.

I do have a house rule that I've already devised for Superheroic games - a play may use push of any type (as per the Toolkitting menu) but it costs them 1 HAP per type - that could be a potential +60 AP if they really need it and that sounds very superheroic to me. ;)

6e all the way .......Ever see those small withered herds of ADnD folks still shuffling along out there, lost in the night, alone, no one to play with.....sad sad thing.....

Besides. It works better. Both in function, tool kit-ness, and adaptability.

~Rex

[Mom Voice On] So if everyone else jumps off a bridge, you would too?[Mom Voice Off]

More seriously, I already don't have anyone to play with, as D20 and Savage Worlds rule the roost out here. The last group I tried to get into was obsessed with Warhammer Fantasy of all things. If I play Hero again, I will probably be be running it. Also, I saw one of the new books, and I noted that it was just the same material covered in the previous edition. With a collection of hundreds of dollars of 5th Ed. books that have seen no real use in the last five years, I can't justify buying anything beyond the basics.

I'll play either straight 5E or straight 6E. At this point in my life, I don't have the time to create HERO characters without electronic assistance, which makes HERO Designer a necessity. It speeds up the time to create a HERO character tenfold...at least for me.

For now, since most of my material is in 5E, that's what I'll use when I run HERO. If I create a campaign from scratch where I'm not using previous material, I'll have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each version.

That said, if I ever had unlimited time to work on HERO (and a way to hire Simon to customize HD for me), things would be much different. I'd probably take the 5E and 6E books, read them over in detail, then try to distill things down to a book with the level of complexity of 4E. It would involve a lot of combining of powers, removing redundant systems for doing things, and a ton of simplification.

that's the leader I'm talking about

I like that body is cheaper

this solves the problem of flesh and blood martial artists being accidentally killed by Doctor Death Ray

aside from combat luck which never felt right to me

Dexterity should be split into agility and Initiative and cost 1 point each

Agility should be set as the primary statt

and Initiative should be below speed.

This creates a set of primary statts that all have equal cost and be compared as equals.

BRICK: I have a 50 strength!

MARTIAL ARTIST: oh ya well, I have a 30 dexterity

*the sound of one hand clapping"