Inventor 13 (11)

Language (French, Fluent) (2)

SS: Biology 14 (6)

SS: Biochemistry 14 (6)

SS: Chemistry 14 (6)

High Society 11 (7)

Stealth 12 (9)

Eidetic Memory (5)

Striking Appearance (Attractive, 2d6) (6)

Environmental Movement, Ice (2)

Total Cost: 76

Powers

Endurance Reserve (60 End, 15 Rec); 20

Ice Multipowers (60 points reserve); 60

Ice Blast (Blast 12d6); 6u

Entangling Ice Blast (Blast 8d6; Ice Bonds [Entangle, 6d6, 6 PD / 6 ED, Vulnerable to Fire and Heat, -1, Linked -1/2]); 6u

Ice Cone (Blast 8d6, Cone +1/2); 6u

Ice Blast II (Blast 8d6, End 0, +1/2); 6u

Killing Ice Blast (RKA 4d6, ED); 6u

Ice Sheet (Change Environment, -6 Dex for Surface Movement, Radius 32 M, +1); 4u

Ice Wall (Barrier, 10m long, 4m high, 1/2m thick, 10 Body, 10 PD / 10 ED, Ablative -1/2, Vulnerable to Fire and Heat, -1); 2u

Ice Shield (Resistant Protection, 10 PD / 10 ED, End 0 +1/2); 45

Flight (22M); 22

Total Cost: 183

Matching Complications

Secret Identity (April Isley, Frequent, Major) 15 points

Vulnerability (Fire, 1.5 Body Damage, Common) 10 points

Rivalry (Fellow Grad Student for grants) 5 points

Psychological Limitation (Overconfidence, Very Common, Moderate) 15 points

Distinctive Feature (Mutant, Not Concealable, Always Noticed, Only Detectable with Unusual Sense) 10 points

Hunted (Viper, More Powerful, NCI, Imprison/Kill) 20 points

Total: 75 points

Notes: This is my first attempt at creating a Hero System character. It is designed using the 6th edition rules. The character is an interpretation of my Champions Online character, Bluebird. She is primarily a cold controller/blaster.

I have an entire backstory for her, written in the format of most Champions/Hero system writeups (Background, Personality, Powers, Appearance), but I thought I would hold off on posting that until I could see if there are major errors.

Any feedback at all is appreciated. Anything could be wrong. I had trouble spending 400 points, so if there are major miscalculations, there is some wiggle room to move points around and keep the core of what I want to do intact.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: My First Hero System Character: Bluebird

I have a few comments:

Resistant Protection doesn't need 0 END.

You might want No Range -1/2 on the Ice Cone. Then the character is the source of the cone of effect.

By default powers can draw from either personal END or an END Reserve, not both. You could either use the END Reserve and sell back the personal END, or add a +1/4 Advantage to the multipower to allow the powers to draw from either END source.

As for spending more points...how about an armor piercing ice bolt, or Blast with Autofire for a rapid fire burst of ice bolts. You might also want a bit more protection, like Resistant Protection that Costs END -1/2 as an Ice Shield.

Otherwise it looks like a great character.

"Ice Shield (Resistant Protection, 10 PD / 10 ED, End 0 +1/2); 45"

If this is simply bought as regular resistant defense, it does not cost endurance, and so does not need to be bought down to zero endurance.

Your skill costs are all wrong, you've spent far more on them than they actually cost. A standard skill costs 3 points and that gets you a skill roll based upon the characteristic it is associated with. 3 points on a science skill gets you an Int roll for that science. Spend two more points on Int to get it to 18 and all your Int based skills, including the sciences, will be at 13 or less.

A few of your stats need tweaking, most especially speed. A speed of 3 for a 400 point super is a snail's crawl. Don't even consider anything less than a 4 and strongly consider 5 or 6. And a Stun of 30 and a Con of 14 means you are going to be stunned by even the feeblest of hits and be out of the fight if you get hit twice.

I note as well that you paid for an endurance reserve, which I presume your multipower is powered by. Yet you also significantly bought up your regular endurance. You should do one or the other, but not both. Either power your powers through an endurance reserve and not worry about your regular or do away completely with the endurance reserve and boost your regular endurance 'and' your regular recovery. This last is usually the way to go, as that extra recovery will help your character recover stun lost in combat as well.

Your skill costs are all wrong, you've spent far more on them than they actually cost. A standard skill costs 3 points and that gets you a skill roll based upon the characteristic it is associated with. 3 points on a science skill gets you an Int roll for that science. Spend two more points on Int to get it to 18 and all your Int based skills, including the sciences, will be at 13 or less.

A few of your stats need tweaking, most especially speed. A speed of 3 for a 400 point super is a snail's crawl. Don't even consider anything less than a 4 and strongly consider 5 or 6. And a Stun of 30 and a Con of 14 means you are going to be stunned by even the feeblest of hits and be out of the fight if you get hit twice.

I note as well that you paid for an endurance reserve, which I presume your multipower is powered by. Yet you also significantly bought up your regular endurance. You should do one or the other, but not both. Either power your powers through an endurance reserve and not worry about your regular or do away completely with the endurance reserve and boost your regular endurance 'and' your regular recovery. This last is usually the way to go, as that extra recovery will help your character recover stun lost in combat as well.

It appears that the OP was calculating the base skill roll as 9. The actual base skill roll should (most likely) be 9 + (CHA/5). If you have an INT of 10, an INT based skill has a base of 11 (9 + (10 / 5)).

Stating that "a speed of 3 for a 400 point super is a snail's crawl" is making a comparison in a vacuum. For instance, my character in our current campaign is the fastest person on the team with a SPD of 4. Most of the rest of the characters have Speeds of 3. Our characters started with 550 points. It is very possible that a 3 SPD is very appropriate in the OP's campaign.

You might as well say that his DEX is too low or that his Attacks are too puny to be effective. So much is subjective in power levels and what may be true for your game is not necessarily true in my game or the OP's.

Even though certain power levels of games have 'suggested' norms in characteristics (according to the book), they are (by no means) canon and very widely from game to game.

A lot depends on the game in which the character will be played. I'm assuming a standard superheroic game.

Bluebird

STR 12

DEX 20

CON 14

Someone else has commented on the CON. With your attacks, the character is likely designed for a game with 12 DC attacks. A 12d6 attack will average 42 stun, subtracting 8 PD/ED and 10 rDEF leaving 24 STUN taken. So the average hit easily STUNs you. High CON is pretty much a given in Hero. You might consider a 25 CON so the average attack won't stun you, or you could bump up your defenses a bit.

INT 16

EGO 14

PRE 14

You may also want a higher PRE, or some limited PRE to defend you against presence attacks without becoming more effective. From a pure mechanics perspective, it is common for characteristics used for skill rolls to end in a 3 or an 8, as these are rounding breakpoints for skill rolls. PRE is often bought to end in 5 or 0 because these are the breakpoints for presence attack dice.

OCV 9

DCV 9

OMCV 3

DMCV 3

Fairly high DCV may mean you don't get hit as often, mitigating lower defenses/CON. Again, this depends a lot on the campaign averages, and I suspect the character will be hit fairly often. Enhanced DCV to reduce the odds of getting hit would be an alternative to more durability.

SPD 3

Supers games tend to higher Speeds as someone already noted. If you go with a high DCV low defenses strategy, it would be desirable to have a higher than average SPD, allowing you to use some phases on defensive actions like Dodge, Roll with the Punch and Dive for Cover.

PD 8

ED 8

As noted above, more defenses may be desirable, but I'd bump up the ice power resistant defenses rather than the normal PD and ED.

REC 10

END 60

BODY 10

STUN 30 Total Cost: 141

More STUN is also desirable. You might bump REC a bit as discussed below.

Skills & Talents

Acrobatics 11 (7)

Deduction 12 (9)

Inventor 13 (11)

SS: Biology 14 (6)

SS: Biochemistry 14 (6)

SS: Chemistry 14 (6)

High Society 11 (7)

Stealth 12 (9)

Your skill pricing issue has been noted. A 3 point skill gets a roll of 9 + CHAR/5, so 3 points in Acrobatics would be a 13- roll (9 = DEX/5). PRE or INT based skills would be 12- for 3 points.

Eidetic Memory (5)

Powers

Endurance Reserve (60 End, 15 Rec); 20[\quote]

I'd ditch this and buy up personl END and REC a bit instead. With a 5 point investment in REC, you have the same END and REC naturally, and higher recovery for STUN as well.

Entangling Ice Blast (Blast 8d6; Ice Bonds [Entangle, 6d6, 6 PD / 6 ED, Vulnerable to Fire and Heat, -1, Linked -1/2]); 6u

As indicated above, you can only have a 60 active point power in a 60 point Multipower. The limitations on the Entangle do not reduce its active points of 60. Typically, the Entangle would be a standalone slot, with no linked Blast.

Ice Cone (Blast 8d6, Cone +1/2); 6u

Ice Sheet (Change Environment, -6 Dex for Surface Movement, Radius 32 M, +1); 4u

Ice Wall (Barrier, 10m long, 4m high, 1/2m thick, 10 Body, 10 PD / 10 ED, Ablative -1/2, Vulnerable to Fire and Heat, -1); 2u

The ice wall also is limited to 60 AP, but I haven't added up the AP for your barrier. It may be onside.

Ice Shield (Resistant Protection, 10 PD / 10 ED, End 0 +1/2); 45

Flight (22M); 22

Resistant Protection costs 0 END by default, so you can save 15 points there, as someone else noted. The Flght could be fine tuned. One option would be "Physical Manifestation" if the character 'flies' on an ice slide. Destroy the slide, and the character falls. Another option would be either a Multipower with Running, or "usable as second form of movement" to allow you to either fly or ehance your running speed using ice slides. I'm assuming the SFX based on the character's other powers.

Many characters with a "single SFX" theme would take Unified Power on their powers. This means a Drain or similar effect on any of ld/ice powers would reduce all of them, so there is a downside.

1. The skill costs are "right", I think, but I did leave off the characteristic "bonus" to the roll on every one of them and messed up the science skills base score entirely. So I'll fix that.

2. The CON/Stun thing is interesting. The Stun score she has is about the same as most 5E Champions characters. The CON score might be low for this system. I'm used to M&M where Con really doesn't do much. But a 20 CON on the 5E Champions would be kind of high for the type of character I picture her being.

3. I'm not surprised I messed up the active v. limited point costs on the multipower. I'll fix that too. I will, say, however, that separating an ice blast and an ice entangle has never made any sense to me. The ice is still slamming into you as it englobes you, right? Wouldn't that do damage?

4. The resistant protection is just a mistake.

Thanks all for your help! I'll have a new draft soon. This is exactly the kind of feedback I needed.

Edit: Great picture! I would have put the CO renditions of her in, but I was trying to be barebones since I knew the stats were going to change as I learned about all my mistakes.

Bluebird

Total: 400

STR 13

DEX 20

CON 18

INT 18

EGO 14

PRE 15

OCV 9

DCV 9

OMCV 3

DMCV 3

SPD 6

PD 8

ED 8

REC 20

END 120

BODY 10

STUN 38 Total Cost: 205

Skills & Talents

Acrobatics 14 (5)

Deduction 14 (7)

Inventor 14 (7)

SS: Biology 13 (3)

SS: Biochemistry 13 (3)

SS: Chemistry 13 (3)

High Society 13 (5)

Stealth 15 (7)

Eidetic Memory (5)

Total Cost: 55

Powers

Entangling Ice Blast (Blast 4d6; Ice Bonds [Entangle, 4d6, 4 PD / 4 ED, Vulnerable to Fire and Heat, -1, Linked -1/2]); 4u

Ice Cone (Blast 8d6, Cone +1/2, No Range -1/2); 4u

Ice Blast III (Blast 8d6, Autofire 5 shots, +1/2); 6u

Ice Shield (Resistant Protection, 10 PD / 10 ED, Costs End -1/2; 20

Flight (22M); 22

Total Cost: 140

Matching Complications

Secret Identity (April Isley, Frequent, Major) 15 points

Vulnerability (Fire, 1.5 Body Damage, Common) 10 points

Rivalry (Fellow Grad Student for grants) 5 points

Psychological Limitation (Overconfidence, Very Common, Moderate) 15 points

Distinctive Feature (Mutant, Not Concealable, Always Noticed, Only Detectable with Unusual Sense) 10 points

Hunted (Viper, More Powerful, NCI, Imprison/Kill) 20 points

Total: 75 points

bluebirdn.jpg

Notes: Here is Bluebird, take 2. She is spending more on characteristics now, because of advice given above and the elimination of the endurance reserve power.

I reworked the powers, mostly per suggestions above. The cost on the barrier, the shield, and the entangle power should all be correct now. I added an autofire blast to spend some of the points saved by the reduction in cost of the ice shield. I also made the Ice Shield cost endurance, because that made more sense.

The skill costs SHOULD be right. I left out the characteristic/5 bonus in the initial draft. This allowed me to substantially reduce the amount spent on skills, freeing up points for the increases in characteristics.

My next take will include all the background text, so hopefully I'm down to just correcting minor problems.

After that, I'll sit around and wait for a miracle to let me actually play. :)

Incidentally, is the only way to reply in a thread the quick reply option? I like being able to preview my posts.

How I would build her...

13 Str 3

20 Dex 20

18 Con 8

10 Body

18 Int 8

14 Ego 4

20 Pre 10

12 Ocv 45

12 Dcv 45

3 Omcv

3 Omdv

8 PD 6

8 ED 6

5 Spd 30

20 Rec 16

60 End 10

40 Stun 10

Total Stats: 221

35 Ice Shield (Resistant Protection, 10 PD / 10 ED) Unified -1/4, Perceivable -1/4,

PLUS (Resistant Protection, 10 PD / 10 ED) Ablative -1/2, Unified -1/4, Perceivable -1/4

21 Flight (21M); 1/2 Endurance Cost +1/4, Difficult To Dispel +1/4, Unified -1/4 Linked to Ice Shield -1/4

43 Ice Multipowers (75 points reserve); Unified -1/4, Linked to Ice Shield -1/4, Gestures -1/4

4u Ice Blast (Blast 12d6) 1/2 Endurance

3u Entangling Ice (Entangle, 7d7, 7 PD / 7 ED), Vulnerable to Fire and Heat, -1)

4u Ice Cone (Blast 10d6, Cone +1/2)

4u Ice Blast II (Blast 10d6) Zero Endurance

4u Killing Ice Blast (RKA 4d6, ED) 1/2 Endurance

4u Ice Sheet (Change Environment, -6 Dex for Surface Movement, Radius 32 M, +1); 1/2 Endurance

2u Ice Wall (Barrier, 10m long, 4m high, 1/2m thick, 15 Body, 10 PD / 10 ED; Configurable +1/4, Ablative -1/2, Vulnerable to Fire and Heat, -1); 2u

Total Combat: 120

12 One Overall Level (+1 Usable on Everything)

Overall Level Factored in to Skill Rolls

3 Inventor Int: 14

3 Deduction Int: 14

3 Stealth Dex 14

3 High Society Pre 14

3 Acrobatics Dex 14

3 Scientist

2 SS: Biology Int: 14

2 SS: Biochemistry Int: 14

2 SS: Chemistry Int: 14

5 Eidetic Memory

2 Language (French, Fluent)

2 Environmental Movement, Ice

6 Striking Appearance (Attractive, 2d6)

5 Courageous (+10 Presence) Only for Defense from Presence Attacks -1

Total Skills: 55

Grand Total: 400

I would caution against investing so many points on REC and END because if the character ever gets Knocked Out their END becomes equal to their STUN. Throwing those points towards just 1 level of Reduced END is usually more effective. The 75 active point multipower (also suggested by Panpiper) will make this easier and still fits under most campaign 'Damage Class caps' (just don't give in to the urge to add a 15d6 Blast or 5d6 RKA!).

This construction confuses me:

43 Ice Multipowers (75 points reserve); Unified -1/4, Linked to Ice Shield -1/4, gestures -1/4

4u Ice Blast (Blast 12d6) 1/2 Endurance

3u Entangling Ice (Entangle, 7d7, 7 PD / 7 ED), Vulnerable to Fire and Heat, -1)

4u Ice Cone (Blast 10d6, Cone +1/2)

4u Ice Blast II (Blast 10d6) Zero Endurance

4u Killing Ice Blast (RKA 4d6, ED) 1/2 Endurance

4u Ice Sheet (Change Environment, -6 Dex for Surface Movement, Radius 32 M, +1); 1/2 Endurance

2u Ice Wall (Barrier, 10m long, 4m high, 1/2m thick, 15 Body, 10 PD / 10 ED; Configurable +1/4, Ablative -1/2, Vulnerable to Fire and Heat, -1); 2u

How are the powers coming in as costing only 4 points? A 12d6 blast with the 1/2 End Adder's cost in a fixed (sorry I've been using ultra) slot seems to be 12 x 5 x 1.25 / 10 = 7.5, or 7f.

Here is it shown as 4f?

Edit: I see it now. All the limits apply to every power. Multipowers make more sense than M&M arrays, but they are very complicated.

How are the powers coming in as costing only 4 points? A 12d6 blast with the 1/2 End Adder's cost in a fixed (sorry I've been using ultra) slot seems to be 12 x 5 x 1.25 / 10 = 7.5, or 7f.

That's because the limitations on the multipower; ( Unified -1/4, Linked to Ice Shield -1/4, Gestures -1/4 ) also apply to any slots that are purchased.

Doh!

I just noticed that I made a pretty big mistake when I built my version or your character. I spent 45 points on each of OCV and DCV so as to bring them to the 9 OCV and 9 DCV you had originally written into your character. I was doing this before I consumed adequate coffee apparantly. The way I spent points there, that character would have 12 OCV and 12 DCV, putting her nicely into the stratosphere of combat machines. This may not be in keeping with your character conception and might well violate the campaign limits of whichever GM you hook up with. You could either leave them there, or drop them back doen to 9 each and have an extra 30 points to spend elsewhere.

I'll edit my original post to show them at 12 each.

Edit: (And you just posted, having spotted my error.)

Incidentally' date=' is the only way to reply in a thread the quick reply option? I like being able to preview my posts.[/quote']

Click the "Go Advanced" button under the quick reply. You'll get a new screen with more options, including the ability to preview your post.

Here is an update of Peregrine for 6th edition

(built using Hero Designer v3)

VAL CHA Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- HTH Damage 4d6 END [2]

18 DEX 16 13-

20 CON 10 13-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

15 EGO 5 12-

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

8 OCV 25

8 DCV 25

3 OMCV 0

4 DMCV 3

5 SPD 30 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

10 PD 8 10/25 PD (0/15 rPD)

10 ED 8 10/25 ED (0/15 rED)

10 REC 6

50 END 6

13 BODY 3

50 STUN 15

Movement Cost Meters Notes

RUNNING 0 12m/24m END [1]

SWIMMING 0 4m/8m END [1]

LEAPING 0 4m 4m forward, 2m upward

FLIGHT 20m/40m

Characteristics Total: 183

Cost Powers

26 Ice Armor: Resistant Protection (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4), Limited Power Loses Effectiveness in Extreme Heat and/or Low Humidity (-1/4) - END=4

20 Wind Riding: Flight 20m, Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; Combat Acceleration/Deceleration, Megascale, No Turn Mode, Reduced END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4), Limited Power Loses Effectiveness in Extreme Heat and/or Low Humidity (-1/4) - END=3

15 Arctic Toughness: Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn; Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) - END=0

5 Heat Sensitivity: Infrared Perception (Sight Group) - END=0

50 Ice & Wind Powers: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Unified Power (-1/4), Limited Power Loses Effectiveness in Extreme Heat and/or Low Humidity (-1/4) - END=

4f 1) Winter Wind: Blast 10d6 (vs. PD), Area Of Effect (64m Cone Explosion; +1/2) (75 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) - END=7

4f 2) Icy Wind: Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (64m Cone Explosion; +1/2), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Life Support (Extreme Cold); All Or Nothing; +1) (75 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) - END=7

4f 3) Bone Chilling Wind: Drain DEX 3d6, Area Of Effect (64m Cone Explosion; +1/2), Expanded Effect (x3 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (also affects OCV & DCV; +1) (75 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) - END=7

5f 4) Caution: Icy Conditions Ahead!: Change Environment (-2 Temperature Level Adjustment, -4 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on Characteristic, 10m of any mode of Movement, Long-Lasting 20 Minutes, Varying Combat Effects), Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2) (75 Active Points) - END=7

5f 5) Ice Wall: Barrier 8 PD/8 ED, 10 BODY (up to 12m long, 3m tall, and 1/2m thick), Dismissable, Opaque Hearing Group, Opaque Sight Group (75 Active Points) - END=7

4f 6) Freeze: Entangle 5d6, 5 PD/5 ED, Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (Cold Attacks) (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points); Vulnerable (Fire & Heat Attacks; -1/2) - END=3

4f 7) Frosty Stare: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 38 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6-1 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Penetrating (+1/2) (70 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) (Real Cost: 35) plus +1 OCV with Frosty Stare (5 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3) - END=3

4f 8) Touch of Frost: Blast 12d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4) - END=3

Powers Total: 150

Cost Skills

Everyman Skills

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) AK: Native Country 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Concealment 8-

0 5) Deduction 8-

0 6) Language: English (Idiomatic, native accent; Custom Adder) [Notes: Native Language]

0 7) Persuasion 8-

0 8) PS: Player's Choice 11-

0 9) Shadowing 8-

0 10) Stealth 8-

0 11) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles [Notes: Custom Mod is Everyman Skill]

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bureaucratics 12-

3 Conversation 12-

3 Language: Spanish (completely fluent)

3 Paramedics 13-

3 PS: Medical Doctor (INT-based) 13-

3 Scientist

2 1) Science Skill: Anatomy (INT-based) 13- (3 Active Points)

2 2) Science Skill: Biology (INT-based) 13- (3 Active Points)

10 +2 with a large group of attacks (Ice & Wind Powers)

12 +1 Overall Skill Level

Skills Total: 47

Cost Perks

5 Money: Well Off

1 Fringe Benefit: License to practice Medicine

Perks Total: 6

Cost Talents

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Simulate Death

6 +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

Talents Total: 14

Base Points: 325

Experience: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 400

I will' date=' say, however, that separating an ice blast and an ice entangle has never made any sense to me. The ice is still slamming into you as it englobes you, right? Wouldn't that do damage?[/quote']

Depends on how you define the process of "icing" the target. Do you actually "throw" ice at the target, or lower temperature around it so ice forms on it? The special effects of a Power help you decide what mechanics would best model it.

If you did want an Ice Blast that both damages and immobilizes a target, you could always buy a Blast with a Linked Entangle.