League of Extraordinary Gentelmen

Dave99

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of fountain of youth as i have used it in my other campaign.

I do have a new problem though after crowley who can I have as a criminal mastermind, I dont want fanchu, or the martians, or moriarty. I want someone who can give the team a run for their money, is a great literary figure, and I can span at least three sessions in an adventure with.

The only bad guy I can come up with is Dr Moreau.

Any ideas???:rolleyes:

Nemo would make a good villain, if you are not following LXG continuity. He sinks ships.

Jack the Ripper. What if the Whitechappel Killer was sacrificing victims in some mystical power ceremony?

Any of the villains of history could have gotten control of (or at least a ride on) the Time Traveller's machine.

Keith "idea man" Curtis

From "The most dangerous game" General Zaroff. A man as intelligent as he would make an excellent mastermind. I think the story was actually set in the '20s, but a little GM fiat takes care of that.

From Edgar Allan Poes "Cask of Amontillado": Montressor. Have any of your characters severly p!$$ed off any itallian gentelmen recently? This one thinks ahead.

From Charles Dickens "Great Expectations" : Estella. Any gentlemen in the group? This is a manipulative one. I say she just got more and more evil as she got older. Think lex luthor with catwomans motivations.

From "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson: The entire town. Not masterminds, but one great encounter.

Some ideas:

Originally posted by Seraphim

I like the idea of fountain of youth as i have used it in my other campaign.

I do have a new problem though after crowley who can I have as a criminal mastermind, I dont want fanchu, or the martians, or moriarty. I want someone who can give the team a run for their money, is a great literary figure, and I can span at least three sessions in an adventure with.

The only bad guy I can come up with is Dr Moreau.

Any ideas???:rolleyes:

Dracula, Cthullhu, Baron Dr. Victor Von Frankenstein and/or his creation, Dr. Calligari (sp?). What year is it in your campaign?

No Dr. Fu Manchu?

Oh well, there are others.

Fantomas -- more faces than Lon Chaney, more lives than a cat. French master of disguise and gangster who terrorized the nation before World War I. French series of novels but the first few are available in English. He had a mistress who had seen his true face but she didn't last long. Can the PCs ever be sure they REALLY got him?

Count Fosco -- From "The Woman In White" by Wilkie Collins, protege of Charles Dickens and inventor of the modern detective novel. Fosco (not his real name, not a real nobleman) was a corpulent Italian spymaster, hypnotist, and chemistry genius who fled to England in the 1850s both to line his pocketbook and pursue his latest espionage assignment. Accompanied by zombie-like wife who dotes on him and does dirty jobs for him. Also has a couple thugs from his spy ring handy. Major weakness -- he's hunted by the Brotherhood, an Italian political secret society he betrayed decades ago. He's changed quite a bit since then, so they may not identify him right away even if they spot him.

John D. Rockerfeller -- the oil magnate, pre-World War I. Could be a powerful patron OR a ruthless enemy. Rockerfeller didn't have many scruples, so he could easily begin as a friend and become a vicious foe when the PCs don't go along with his schemes.

Lorna Doone? (ok, its a cookie...but who was it named after?)

Manfred Von Richtoven? (red baron survived being shot and ditching his plane...)

Eddie Richenbacker? (american ace...the barons rival)

Lodge? ( can't remember first name...also discovered magnetic waves, hertz published first...hurtz as rival)

Ok, I cant have Jack the ripper he has been used .

Woul like to know more about that town that someone mentioned.

Doolittle in the group has decided that for our last campaign he will be the bad guy a la invisible man.

Nemo is dead in my campaign.

It is set in 1899

And I am toying around with captain hook being the ba guy.

Ok, I cant have Jack the ripper he has been used .

Woul like to know more about that town that someone mentioned.

Doolittle in the group has decided that for our last campaign he will be the bad guy a la invisible man.

Nemo is dead in my campaign.

It is set in 1899

by town, i guess you're refering to the lottery : The Lottery by Shirley Jackson (1948)

in 1899, Mata-Hari is 23 years old also.

You can also take the story of "the horla" by Guy de Maupassant and make the horla a true incubus

(the horla (extract)

Depending on the level of supernatural in your campaign, you could also take Gaston Leroux's "Phantom of the Opera"

(the full book is easy to find in text version on the net)

And it was true. For several months, there had been nothing discussed at the Opera but this ghost in dress-clothes who stalked about the building, from top to bottom, like a shadow, who spoke to nobody, to whom nobody dared speak and who vanished as soon as he was seen, no one knowing how or where. As became a real ghost, he made no noise in walking.( ... )

"He is extraordinarily thin and his dress-coat hangs on a skeleton frame.

His eyes are so deep that you can hardly see the fixed pupils.

You just see two big black holes, as in a dead man's skull.

His skin, which is stretched across his bones like a drumhead,

is not white, but a nasty yellow. His nose is so little worth

talking about that you can't see it side-face; and THE ABSENCE

of that nose is a horrible thing TO LOOK AT. All the hair he

has is three or four long dark locks on his forehead and behind his ears."

• 3 weeks later...

Did you come up with anything. I am just about to run a steampunk game for my group - almost all non-comics readers and so am using the War of the Worlds story from the second book as a base for their first adventure.

I'm planning on a Pirate story for the second. I just think that Iron John Roberts sailing the seas on a steampunk'ed pirate ship would be a fantastic tale for my Union of Astounding Companions.

I cant remember the author of the play (it was around Shakespeare's time though) but it was the one about Dr. Faust the one who sold his soul, etc. You can could have him returning to this plane on a mission for "the Evil One". I havent read the play since high school so I cant give many details about him. Maybe you could have him at the head of a secret criminal empire. And have them learn more about this mysterious leader of the criminal empire and his "true" intentions as things go. A mission like launching the start of the end times (hey he is working for the EVIL one after all) of Revelation.

• 2 weeks later...

A New idea: WWII LXG

Originally posted by keithcurtis

Back onto the LXG topic: anyone catch issue six? Sheesh! Where do we go from here!?!?!

Keith "No Spoilers" Curtis

How about setting an LXG rpg during the WWII

with the Following characters:

INDIANA JONES:adventurer and archeologist

FRANK & JOE HARDY:young soldiers and amatuer detectives

NANCY DREW:detective and socialite

CLARK SAVAGE JR.:man of bronze and Ms Drew's mentor

RICHARD WENTWORTH:The Spider and sponser to one:

PFC TOM SWIFT JR.:Inventor and adventurer

JEFFREY KING AKA ROCKETMAN:inventor and patriot

LT TRIXIE BELDIN: student to millionare philantrophist

LAMONT CRANSTON AKA "THE SHADOW":pulp hero

LT GEORGIA FAYNE:best friend to Nancy Drew

any one of these literaly 'heroes' [with the exception of DR JONES} can be inserted into the LXG campaign.:cool:

Well...I understand that the quote on the back cover of issue 6 of volume 2 was from "Dracula", so perhaps the Count returns and Allan has to unite a band of vampire hunters to rescue Mina. Maybe this time she actually becomes a vampire. Allan might have to make a tragic choice if Mina is in Dracula's thrall.

That's all pure hypothesis, of course. :)

Sherlock Holmes might finally show his face (it is reasonable to think he survived in the League's world). The Fu Manchu character (he was never named, I assume for copyright reasons) was still at liberty at the end of volume 1. Perhaps Holmes needs help from Mina and Allan, as he knows they have had success against the evil Doctor before.

Prequel

I am sure that I read an interview with alan moore in wizard somewhere (will have to look it up for details) that he is going to try to work with Dr. Syn and Gulliver.

I would like to see myself a volume 3 of the current League but with two dead he would need replacements.

Maybe the french league as written in the back of the comics.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

As I play this setting in three week bursts every other three weeks.

My first adventures in the LXG setting went grand, after killing Baron Munchausen, crippling van Helsing, and banishing Peter Pan to Hell. It was fantastic Aleister Crowley as bad guy was great.

I have the group on their toes, I have a player wanting to be an evil mastermind. It was so fun.

Ok for my next adventure, things I am toying with. Dr. Doolittle the player character wants to send a mind drugged wendy darling into hell to report back on how peter pan is and what these strange creatures Daemons are actually.

I am toying with Dr. Yen How from the book the yellow danger as the criminal mastermind who is trying to set a war between Europe and England (Maybe using the Denkotei a submarine to retrieve the Nuclear reactor engine from a certain Nautilus which is laying on the bottom of the Indian Ocean.) But that will be the last part of my three week adventure.

Each week is a different case. So the third week would be the last battle with Yen How. Or the case of the Yellow Danger.

But i need minor non-demon, antagonists for the first two weeks. I am setting the next adventure in 1900 in June.

I also need these antagonists to somehow relate or able to further along the Yen How plot.

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

Well...I understand that the quote on the back cover of issue 6 of volume 2 was from "Dracula", so perhaps the Count returns and Allan has to unite a band of vampire hunters to rescue Mina. Maybe this time she actually becomes a vampire. Allan might have to make a tragic choice if Mina is in Dracula's thrall.

I just re-read dracula and mina harker might not need saving, especially if she were alive in more modern times. She was quite capable, and the only reason she didn't join them in going after the count was the social convention of the day.

The reason I just re-read dracula is this: my wife finally decided she was willing to give gaming a shot and the character idea she had was:

Mina Harker, Vampire Hunter (modern day - she has some odd powers and lims due to her almost shift to vampirism)

I meant Mina might need saving if she fell under Dracula's influence again. If her will is not her own, it doesn't really matter if she is capable or not.

I agree that Mina was certainly quite tough. Also, both volumes so far have shown that in many respects Mina is the most able member of the League, certainly in terms of "keeping it together" and being determined.

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

I meant Mina might need saving if she fell under Dracula's influence again. If her will is not her own, it doesn't really matter if she is capable or not.

I agree that Mina was certainly quite tough. Also, both volumes so far have shown that in many respects Mina is the most able member of the League, certainly in terms of "keeping it together" and being determined.

I see your point.

In the book (Dracula) Van Helsing says that God blessed her with the heart of a woman and the mind of a man - that she was a perfect creature. She also provided the cement that held the hunters together there.

Ok for my next adventure, things I am toying with. Dr. Doolittle the player character wants to send a mind drugged wendy darling into hell to report back on how peter pan is and what these strange creatures Daemons are actually.

I am toying with Dr. Yen How from the book the yellow danger as the criminal mastermind who is trying to set a war between Europe and England (Maybe using the Denkotei a submarine to retrieve the Nuclear reactor engine from a certain Nautilus which is laying on the bottom of the Indian Ocean.) But that will be the last part of my three week adventure.

Each week is a different case. So the third week would be the last battle with Yen How. Or the case of the Yellow Danger.

But i need minor non-demon, antagonists for the first two weeks. I am setting the next adventure in 1900 in June.

I also need these antagonists to somehow relate or able to further along the Yen How plot.

Please help me