CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE: What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE: What Do *You* Want To See?

As far as example characters and published "official" continuity go' date=' I see your point. OTOH the opportunity is now available to the great many HERO players who create their own settings and characters, and/or modify existing writeups to suit their own campaigns, to explore the possible new builds.[/quote']

Which is pretty much my point. However you choose to handle it in your local game, if the whole group is having fun, then keep having fun! But any expectation that the published materials will be changed to reflect a different set of assumptions is a recipe for disappointment. You* Have Been Warned.

*Plural/generic "you"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done; but since some of these have already been mentioned in published HG sources' date=' and it's a common element of the genre, I'd say the subject is innately worth addressing in some manner.[/quote']Quite so. And combining the ones you listed with the ones I listed, there's about a page or two worth of material there, and that's about as much as the topic should be given in a book of this type.

One thing I would like to see is more information on the super-agencies in other countries. PRIMUS is the primary US super-agency, but how about some more information about whatever super-agency is taking care of business in Japan, or China, or maybe Israel? A sub-section on super-agencies around the world would be very nice. How do these different state agencies get along with UNTIL?

Given that "Book of the Empress" has been announced for 2011' date=' I suspect that is where you are more likely to find info on alternate dimensions and on taking the fight to Istvatha V’han.[/quote']The bulk of it, yes, especially the latter. Still, an overview of parallel universes (to use the technically proper term) would be fitting for this book, particularly those that aren't currently part of her empire.

I'd like to see a little more fleshing out of Government Superhuman Programs like Project: Sunburst. What happened to those scientists and Project Directors who survived the various origin stories of the supervillains they helped to create? Where has the research and technology drifted to? (VIPER? ARGENT? the IHA?) And maybe a sidebar bringing up similar programs from other countries. I'd also be very interested in some non-American settings and perhaps a fictional country that has had effects on the CU.

Oh, and Xenovores ;)

I'd like to see a little more fleshing out of Government Superhuman Programs like Project: Sunburst. What happened to those scientists and Project Directors who survived the various origin stories of the supervillains they helped to create? Where has the research and technology drifted to? (VIPER? ARGENT? the IHA?)

Along those lines, who got their hands on the technology of the several failed alien invaders? We know what became of the Qularr leftovers on Monster Island, but how about the Sirians, Gadroon, or Istvatha V'han's forces? I'd be surprised if some of it wasn't adapted by various superheroes and villains, and heroic and villainous agencies.

Oh' date=' and Xenovores ;)[/quote']

The Xenovores will likely get only passing reference in the new Champions Universe book, as they did in the previous one, since Earth won't formally encounter them until centuries from now; but I'll be shocked and deeply disappointed if there isn't something substantial done with them in Champions Beyond. I mean, as enemies you can destroy without guilt they're nearly as good as Nazis. :D

Champions Universe and CU:NotW were some of my favorite books from 5th edition, so I'm hard pressed to suggest ways to improve them. But I'm also not sure what you could include that would make me want to repurchase them for a new edition. I idea-mine books like these for things I can use in my own world, and unless there are dramatically more or different ideas to mine, I'm going to be a tough sell.

If hardcover also means color interior art, that would be a draw. A solid century of new or dramatically re-envisioned pre-history would also.

A few points of clarification/information:

1. Generally speaking, there won't be any more information on the Justice Squadron, the Sentinels, and other NPC hero teams in this version of CU than in the 5E version.

2. Generally speaking, there won't be any more information on alternate dimensions and parallel Earths in this version of CU than in the 5E version. We have the upcoming Book Of The Empress to cover that sort of thing.

3. Generally speaking, there won't be any more information on most parts of the world -- other super-agencies, other nations' laws, etc., etc. -- in this version of CU than in the 5E version. Canada will probably get somewhat greater coverage since I have CotN to draw on, but that's about it. It's too big a topic to cover in detail in an overview book, given the general level of fan interest.

4. CU is planned as a hardcover, full-color book.

5. Speculating, much less arguing, about the Characteristics, level of power, power builds, etc., etc. of CU characters based on the tiny number of published examples to date is pretty much a waste of time IMO... but then again I suppose that's what the Internet's for. ;)

6. Telling us "I'm not going to buy this book" when it's already in production is an utter waste of your time, our time, and everyone else's time. There may or may not be a point in time when this sort of input would be useful -- but an official WDYWTS thread definitely isn't it.

I cannot currently recall much of anything about the supervillain community in 5e CU.

I'm referring to how a good chunk of DC and Marvel's villains (especially the B-listers) tend towards a "community" of their own of sorts, whether it is like Spider-Man's rogue's gallery or The Flash's "Rogues."

While it is true that there are quite a few villains who never would (or perhaps rarely) work with others (Mechanon, Takofanes, The Slug, etc), there are plenty that I think would.

Generally speaking' date=' there won't be any more information on alternate dimensions and parallel Earths in this version of CU than in the 5E version. We have the upcoming [i']Book Of The Empress[/i] to cover that sort of thing.
I don't remember anything at all about that stuff in the previous edition. I'll have to go hunt it down.

I'm sorry to see there won't be much in there about it, though, unless the details of universes in Book of the Empress is expanded beyond just the ones she's conquered. LL and I have listed several possibilities among those she wouldn't have gotten to, for example.

2. Generally speaking' date=' there won't be any more information on alternate dimensions and parallel Earths in this version of CU than in the 5E version. We have the upcoming [i']Book Of The Empress[/i] to cover that sort of thing.
I don't remember anything at all about that stuff in the previous edition. I'll have to go hunt it down.
I hunted it down. There's nothing on the sort of thing requested in the 5E version' date=' except maybe a passing reference in a half-sentence. All I could find was a page (#96) on [i']mystical[/i] dimensions.

I believe - that's Steve's point. There won't be much, if anything, in CU about the alternate dimensions. In the 5E publications list we had The Mystic World to give us some coverage and in 6E we have the upcoming Book Of The Empress to do the same. Knowing that an entire book will be dedicated to someone who conquers dimensions it would makes sense that said dimensions are covered there, and any space in CU for that would simply be wasted and taken away from other stuff that's more directly pertinent to the Primary CU Dimension.

I'd rather wait for BotE for any info, personally. It'll be more in depth and cover more dimensions than the couple of pages it might get in the CU.

I know that you have listed the villains you plan on putting in the book and the number seems right but could you put the same amount of villains but draw them from the popular sub genres until we have the villains books. I personally like running mystical campaigns so have a mystic villain in there would be great for the time being and to continue the example if someone like running campaigns against kingpin type crime bosses having a villain for that might be good for them. Basically this allows the villains presented more usable with the sub-genre players, while they wait for the villains trilogy.

I wouldn't mind seeing talisman.

Red

• 5 months later...