6E Hexmap?

FreeDice

Re: 6E Hexmap?

I run most of my games in MapTool, even when local/tabletop and found it easier to use a grid with a standard measurement system (i.e. ruler). My preferred scale is 1cm = 1m, and that works well with figs, but since I am digital now (well, my maps anyway) I don't really worry about it much.

For HERO I use the hybrid - Hex Grid. It is a map of squares where every other row is off-set by 1/2" to provide a Hex-layout -- Makes Drawing SOOOOO much easier than a traditional Hex Map.

For my 3.5 D20 I use the square Grid as I don't want to take the time to re-figure AoE for a Hex Grid.

Like Mudpyr8, my maps are all on MapTool. In fact, I have no face to face games. I'm 100% digital. MapTool allows you to set a scale and that is what I do. I don't use hexes, squares, circles, cylinders or any other geometric shape. I just set the tokens down, turn off snap to grid, and use the ruler feature to get the distances when needed. Our primary attack macro automatically figures distance and the penalty for distance.

If I were to play in a face to face game, I would probably take that method to heart and use a tape measure to figure distances and not worry about grids.

Like Mudpyr8, my maps are all on MapTool. In fact, I have no face to face games. I'm 100% digital. MapTool allows you to set a scale and that is what I do. I don't use hexes, squares, circles, cylinders or any other geometric shape. I just set the tokens down, turn off snap to grid, and use the ruler feature to get the distances when needed. Our primary attack macro automatically figures distance and the penalty for distance.

If I were to play in a face to face game, I would probably take that method to heart and use a tape measure to figure distances and not worry about grids.

Makes me think of Mage Knight (the now-deceased parent of Hero Clix :( ). But a good idea none-the-less

I have always used a hexmap, since I first started using a battlefield. I prefer hexmaps (as opposed to squaremaps) because of the offset.

Back in high school we never bothered with battlefield prep or design. You just had X number of enemies and you kept attacking one after another until they were dead. Granted this was AD&D so the vast majority of these battles took place in narrow corridors in a dungeon...but we were young and stupid. :)

Depends on the game. If I'm looking for a tactical game, yeah I use them. Sometimes I just map it out and set the scale; that's for general position. Some of my games don't put a high priority to tactical movement at all; for those I go completely theater of the mind.