Historical Late Medieval Period RPG

pruttm

I am looking for a published RPG setting that covers the Late Medieval Period from a more historical point of view vs. the fantastic point of view. I want to use this as the foundation of a Hero campaign world that I then add my view of the fantastic.

Any suggestions for a good read? Any system, as its just for inspiration.

Thanks,

Pete

Re: Historical Late Medieval Period RPG

There was a Mongoose Runequest book called Stupor Mundi that dealt with the "middle medieval" period, centered around the first three Crusades (the defining moments of European history at that time with ramifications that continue to this day). The word Stupor did not mean then what is does now; the title translates roughly as "Wonder of the World" which was a title used to refer to the German king and general Frederick Barbarossa who was one of the leaders of the First Crusade.

The RPG Ars Magica covers a more fantastical version of the period where powerful mages operate fairly openly in scholarly "covenants" without being hunted down by the Church (which historically took a dim view of anything that even looked mystical, much less magical).

....The word Stupor did not mean then what is does now; the title translates roughly as "Wonder of the World" which was a title used to refer to the German king and general Frederick Barbarossa....

Actually Friedrich II, grandson of Friedrich I Staufen, called Barbarossa. It's a common mistake about a fascinating period.

Well, he was a leader (of the Third Crusade.) Until he drowned. Though I hear rumours that Hilary Clinton might have been involved in the drowning. Or was it Putin? It was so long ago....

The important point is that when I called for a "subaqueous solution to the Imperial succession problem," I was just suggesting that Frederick should take a bath before anointing his replacement.

I will second Ars Magica books. While they cover a lot of specific material applicable only to Ars Magica games, much of the world information is very much fairly accurate European history at around the Early to mid Middle Ages (1100's etc). Some of their sourcebooks would provide excellent information for such a campaign, even if one did not wish to run an Ars Magica game.

Not a published setting, but good info to be found here:

Edit: Just noticed you were looking for historical. The links above are not historical, but the second one looks very promising for source material that could easily fit into historical.

Oddly, there's an even better source albeit not from an RPG.

Frances and Joseph Gies wrote a number of books on the subject of life in Medieval times, but three of them were wildly popular among Medievalists when I went to college: Life in a Medieval City (1969), Life in a Medieval Castle (1974) and Life in a Medieval Village (1990). All three were collected in one volume in 2005, Daily Life in Medieval Times. They're not too deep, and focus on ordinary life as opposed to famous people. They also span a decent chunk of the Medieval period.

Google Books links: Life in a Medieval Village, Life in a Medieval City, Life in a Medieval Castle.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that no-one has mentioned Harn yet. It's set on an imaginary island somewhere, but Harnites tend to be a bit OCD about medieval technology and society. It's got a large (not to say cultish :) following on the web.

cheers, Mark

Also, I'm a bit surprised that no-one has mentioned Harn yet. It's set on an imaginary island somewhere, but Harnites tend to be a bit OCD about medieval technology and society. It's got a large (not to say cultish :) following on the web.

cheers, Mark

I'm sorry. Is there a reason that we can't call Harnism a cult? 'Cuz I'm calling it a cult.

I am looking for a published RPG setting that covers the Late Medieval Period from a more historical point of view vs. the fantastic point of view. I want to use this as the foundation of a Hero campaign world that I then add my view of the fantastic.

Any suggestions for a good read? Any system, as its just for inspiration.

Thanks,

Pete

What do you mean by late Medieval? I'm guessing post Crusades (I'd call that era "High Medieval" myself), and pre Tudor (which I'd put as about the start of the Renn period).

So Pirate, Swashbuckler, or Conquistador sourcebooks would be too late for what you have in mind?

What do you mean by late Medieval? I'm guessing post Crusades (I'd call that era "High Medieval" myself), and pre Tudor (which I'd put as about the start of the Renn period).

For this thread I am looking for things that would be distinct to a fairly historical Medieval setting. Anything that details Italy during this period would be a bonus.

I just watched the first part of a PBS documentary from 2003 on the Medici, the banking family that in the 15th and 16th century became the dominant force of Florentine and Italian politics, the greatest art patrons in history, and even had one of their own elected to the pre-Reformation Papacy. A large part of the episode was given over to the daunting task of building a dome to top Florence's great cathedral -- the reach of the original architects had exceeded their grasp and it took an eccentric genius to figure out how to finally do the job and in the process revolutionize construction (he also codified perspective in painting and drawing). Florence on the cusp of the Renaissance would be a great place to set a campaign, in between the intrigue between Cosimo Di'Medici and his rivals and the dangerous quest for rediscovered ancient knowledge. In a fantasy setting these would include ancient, lost magics.