The Cape - What do you think of it so far?

Steve

Re: The Cape - What do you think of it so far?

Loved it, a really nice modern pulp character. Honestly, while I can see the Orwell/Oracle comparison, she's also got elements of The Shadow's agent Burbank.

My two favourite things so far are (a) the fact that its so unapologetically a superhero show. It has its own internal logic without desperately trying to be 'realistic'. I love that it embraces the weird, strange and wonderous elements of superhero genre so willingly, and (B) The sheer depth and amount of 'story hooks'.

Watching this, I thought The Cape is EXACTLY the sort of character I love to play and GM. There are just so many angles you could take in crafting stories. From the various Carnival Members and its history, to Tarot, Ark Industries, the hero's family, Orwell's past... an almost overwhelmingly rich array of plot hooks.

Good stuff, and I can't wait to see more of it.

It gets better. Has a good comic book feel to it and I think the main thing that's making it work, is that it's actually rolling along LIKE a comicc book. It's not trying to take itself to seriously (like Heroes), nor is it trying to do the Underground and Safe (No Ordinary Family). It's, pretty much a comic book.

Like Rollo says, Say hello to Dorothy *****! Can't go wrong when you have a midget beating up Vinnie Jones.

~Rex

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, the Orwell character is a love interest feel but the hero is married and heroically not revealing himself to protect them. The storyline don't seem to have a direction and are still feeling out where they should be. It does have the feeling of a Knight Rider or techno-aided hero of the 80's. I think the writers don't really have a strong vision yet but are seeing what works. Once the vision gets stronger, it might be better. I am not impressed yet but give it a chance.

I actually am quite impressed with what they're doing. It's still early, and the show's still getting its "legs" on what the world is like. Unlike many older shows, it didn't have a pilot that just established everything and then left everything static until a cast change; information is given a little at a time, characters continue to develop with each episode, and we learn more about the world bit by bit.

Orwell appeared at first to be very Oracle-like, but she's quickly developed into something much more so that the resemblance is mostly superficial. (And I strongly disagree about her being written in as a love interest for Vince. Maybe for Rollo.) I think Summer Glau is probably glad to have a TV role that's "mentally normal" (after River Tam, Tess Doerner, and Cameron Phillips), and I hope the show lasts a long time, if only for her sake.

I do think the producers went into their "Create Your Own Villain" contest a bit prematurely. Only four episodes aired before the deadline, and nearly half the entries I've looked at on the list don't really fit the show's concept and milieu (not that very many of those submitters seem to have read the rules, with the "no superpowers" part being fairly explicit). We needed more time to get the feel of the thing. Still, they probably could populate the entire second season's villains from those fan submissions.

I'm sorry. What did they expect? The show was not very good. I could only finish one episode, and that was because I was checking out Mina Suvari and Summer Glau in a catfight. I was only able to last about fifteen minutes into the other episodes.

I would steal the Dice character Suvari played and the little person martial artist. They were both cool concepts. Though Fringe did the probability calculation power a little better earlier in the season, the attractive woman component adds something.

IMHO, the problems with the Cape.

1. The main character doesn't advance in the past few episodes to correct his problems. Each episode, he should visibly gain another inch on his solution. Burn Notice does this well. The Cape does not.
  2. Orwell seems to be Chess's daughter. I was pretty sure(99%) after the first episode.
  3. The most interesting characters are the Circus of Crime. The mother and broody kid put me off.
  4. Villains for the most part are two dimensional. His partner betraying him? How many times does the poor writing have to occur where the betraying character asks "Have you told anyone else?" or "Let me handling it."

Sadly, I'll keep watching this until it falls off the air just because I have a thing for comic book superhero shows and movies.

This is disappointing but not surprising. I mean, hey I'm a fan of the the show and I've described it as "cheesy" and a "train wreck". Still, it's been fun and as sources of gaming inspiration bad movies and tv shows are often more useful than great ones. Waterworld is a better game setting than 2001: A Space Odyssey. At the gaming table, silly fun simply trumps high art, and The Cape is loads of silly fun. I plan on watching the remaining episodes and missing the show when it is gone.

Well, I love it. I'm having a good time. People are too nitpicky and want too much from it. I like it because it's a little cheesy and a little over the top, and as things develop more, it's interesting to see how they go. If the show has a problem, it's that it doesn't mirror the comic book "The Cape" in the world of the show.

Examples:

1) Chess should totally be seducing Faraday's wife, so that he's more like the White Hand.

2) Chess should actually seek to create villains from the comic book "in story" to draw out the Cape.

3) The conflict between Scales and Chess needs to be more clearly defined in later episodes.

Will I walk on it over this stuff? Probably not. The Cape is FUN. That's right. It's FUN. I haven't had FUN with a TV show in years, and I haven't enjoyed a show on TV since Veronica Mars, and that was "Figure it out" fun, not fun fun.

I think if it tightens the reigns a bit, it will improve. Part of what makes it work for me though is that it doesn't try and take itself to seriously. It's on a BAD night though for TV in general though, and plus, it's got the Summer Glau Albatross hanging around it's neck (She's sank everything she's been on within 2 seasons tops).

Still, all it really needs is two or three really strong episodes. Getting rid of the medevial breastplate as well would help a lot for the look.

~Rex

I liked the beginnings, but it sort of went to Mopeyville the last couple of episodes. I did not have as much fun with it.

To the above comment about Burn Notice doing the apparent lack of progress better, that is because there was progress. Burn Notice breaks down each episode into overarching plot and episodic plot. While the overarching plot shows small gains at first, momentum builds as the season goes along. No matter what though, there is a specific attempt to highlight the season plot in each episode. At the same time, there is always some sort of resolution, usually cleverly achieved, to the smaller episodic plots. Then there is the ensemble cast. While Michael may be doing his overarching plot stuff, Fi and Sam go off to do the other stuff. Then later Michael drifts into the episodic story while one of the others takes over some aspect of the arch.

The Cape could have learned from that. Small successes each episode towards getting the season plot of family reunification. Even if the resolution to the season plot turns out to be something other than the goal, the creative staff should have made it possible for little strides in that direction.

And quite frankly, Jeffrey Donovan and Bruce Campbell are simply better actors. Not a huge fan of the actress portraying Fi, but she does solid work. There are some good actors on the Cape (Keith David being my favorite), but the chemistry is just not there. The motions are mostly right, but I am just not buying into it. That means the actors are not selling it. It reminds me of the late 80's to early 90's Flash TV series. I really want to like it but I don't.

and plus' date=' it's got the Summer Glau Albatross hanging around it's neck (She's sank everything she's been on within 2 seasons tops).~Rex[/quote'] To be fair, Summer Glau has jumped on just about every fringe project that has come along that had mediocre co-stars and creative development. The Sarah Conner Chronicles could have been good. It was almost there (much like the Cape). The only other thing I recall was Dollhouse and I think that failed before Summer Glau came on board. Not counting Firefly, which was Fox doing its level best to sabotage itself, what else has Summer Glau done?

And quite frankly, Jeffrey Donovan and Bruce Campbell are simply better actors.

One of my favorite Bruce Campbell quotes: “For a long time I was embarrassed to say I was a 'B' movie actor, ... But now that I see what Hollywood's putting out, I realized 'B' actually means 'better.'”

I think if it tightens the reigns a bit, it will improve. Part of what makes it work for me though is that it doesn't try and take itself to seriously. It's on a BAD night though for TV in general though, and plus, it's got the Summer Glau Albatross hanging around it's neck (She's sank everything she's been on within 2 seasons tops).

Still, all it really needs is two or three really strong episodes. Getting rid of the medevial breastplate as well would help a lot for the look.

~Rex

Summer Glau is the sole appeal of the show to me. She's just good looking. Of course, the show still isn't worth watching, but it isn't her fault.

To be fair' date=' Summer Glau has jumped on just about every fringe project that has come along that had mediocre co-stars and creative development. The Sarah Conner Chronicles could have been good. It was almost there (much like the Cape). The only other thing I recall was Dollhouse and I think that failed before Summer Glau came on board. Not counting Firefly, which was Fox doing its level best to sabotage itself, what else has Summer Glau done?[/quote']The 4400, as recurring character Tess Doerner.

Something like that but the format of the 4400 was fairly different from a lot of other shows. As for Glau, she's a cute kid, but she's a jinx. You don't have to actually be bad to be a jinx, it just happens.

~Rex