What Fiction Book (other than Science Fiction or Fantasy) have you recently finished?

Bozimus

• 2 weeks later...
Re: What Fiction Book (other than Science Fiction or Fantasy) have you recently finis

Just finished a classic.

The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas

I read that book on lunch breaks and such once. It took me three months. Not bad.

At my wife's recommendation, I recently read Austenland by Shannon Hale with her. It's the story of a thirtysomething single woman in NYC who keeps (mostly) unintentionally sabotaging her relationships because she's obsessed with Mr. Darcy (specifically as portrayed by Colin Firth) and none of the men in her life can quite measure up. Her wealthy and eccentric great-aunt, who doesn't want to see the girl waste her life this way, bequeaths her a trip to a Pride and Prejudice-themed resort in England, where she spends three weeks living the Regency lifestyle and getting her head together (eventually). It was a fun read.

There's also a sequel called Midnight in Austenland, which features a recently divorced single mother who goes to the same resort a season or two later. Her story is complicated by the fact that a murder may or may not have taken place in the middle of everything. Also recommended.

(Naturally we had to read Pride and Prejudice after these.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"A Wilder Rose" by Susan Wittig Albert. It's a fictionalized account of the life of Rose Wilder Lane, daughter of Laura Ingalls Wilder, focusing on the 1930s and how the Little House books came to be written. Interesting stuff, but a little one-sided due to being based on Rose's letters and journals.

Also, my blog, http://www.skjam.com is having a book giveaway right now. Please drop by!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Listening to book three of the Jacky Faber books.  I tend to listen to a lot of audio books I wouldn't generally take time to read, and I occasionally find some gems that way, particularly from the "young adult" books.  The first three books in the series are:

Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary Jacky Faber, Ship's Boy (2002)

The Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (2004)

Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (2005)

They are not high literature, but they are entertaining.  I recently found out there is over 10 books in the series already.  Lets hope the quality holds up.

Just finished Invisible Monsters Remix by Chuck Palahniuk. Fun book about family, nihilism, and fashion advice. Also, this updated version includes some interesting commentary from Palahniuk, which may change the way you see Marvel's Agent Coulson, or at least give you an amusing image of Clark Gregg and Palahniuk after wrapping Choke. 

clark-gregg-choke_480x270.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Read Hollywood Crows by Joe Wambaugh. Hollywood cops try to do their duty as a husband and wife plan to kill each other. One of the funnier parts of the book was these two cops hate their sergeant so when everyone else is busy round up fighting chickens, they take one and put it in his car. When the sergeant gets in and honks the horn, the chicken goes nuts and attacks him. The sergeant is livid but is forced to take advice to transfer to move to another station

CES

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...