What Fiction Book (other than Science Fiction or Fantasy) have you recently finished?

Bozimus

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A Book of Bones by John Connolly. Charlie Parker comes to London on the trail of Quayle and Mors. Louis and Angel tag along despite Angel still recovering from Cancer. But the killers are doing all they can to restore the Fractured Atlas and thus end the world. This weighs in at nearly 700 pages and again Good and Evil battle each other. Some of the book is set in a different style to cover historical events that affect the action. If you already like the Charlie Parker books then you will like this. I certainly did.

• 3 weeks later...

Coyote Waits by Tony Hillerman.  Murder mystery set in New Mexico, exploring the culture and landscape there, esp. Navajo mythology.  Good characters interacting in a plot that is complex enough not to be immediately obvious but not so convoluted that it becomes contrived.  Definitely recommend it.

• 1 month later...

Airframe by Michael Crichton.  Basically how are airplane accidents addressed and investigated written in terms of a mystery story where company politics and corporate backstabbing conflicts with the push to find the truth about an airline incident.  The plot is not Crichton's best although reasonably good given the premise, but the research and descriptions of the interior workings of the airline industry were excellent.

The On The Run series by Gordon Korman.  It's about a brother and sister who escape from a juvenile detention facility in order to clear the names of their parents, who've been falsely convicted of treason.  They have to find a man named Frank Lindenauer who had recruited their parents into what they were told was a CIA operation to battle terrorism and his disappearance caused the Falconer parents' conviction.  On top of all that they have to avoid being caught by the FBI or being killed by the mysterious assassin called (by the kids) Hairless Joe.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:38 PM, death tribble said:

Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd. A book about Salisbury and five families connected to it from caveman times until the 1980s. The longest read I have had this year at roughly 1350 pages.

I dimly remember that book.  I remember I started it back in the 80's, but had to leave it behind before I got half way through because it wouldn't fit in my seabag.  Life could be a bummer in the days before portable electronics.   I may have to find it again.  Back then there wasn't as much fantasy so I read a lot of historical fiction.   Rosemary Sutcliff's "Sword at Sunset" and Mary Stewart's "Merlin Trilogy" were great reads as well. 

• 1 month later...

No Way to Treat a First Lady by Christopher Buckley.

The First Lady catched the President in bed with another woman and throws a lamp, hitting on the head.  The next day he's found dead and she goes on trial for murder.

Not as good as the author's The White House Mess.

Recommended along the same lines

E Pluribus Bang by David Lippencott

President George Ramsey Kirk finds a Secret Service Agent in bed with his wife, and shoots the Agent dead.  The CIA Director tries to cover it up.

The first two books of series The Earls Other Son by Andrew Wareham.  The first two books are in China sometime before the Boxer Rebellion.   The main character is the second son of a Scottish Earl who is long on title but short on wealth.  After a romantic liaison with the wrong lady, he is exiled to China Station.   The writing style reminds me of books I read back in the 70/80's and I really liked that he didn't PC the c*ap out of it in one direction or agenda the c*ap out of it the other.   Instead he just wrote the story using what he knows of the norms of the era it takes place in. 

Old style adventure yarn that may not be everyone's preference, but a good read and great ideas for turn of the century far east RPG.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I have seen the film with Daniel Craig and the original Swedish adaption with Noomi Rapace. The book covers a disgraced journalists attempt to solve the disappearance of a girl during a family get together thirty years before. He stumbles onto something really dark and nasty. The ending is slightly different to the adaptions but it is still good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...