Charlton Action Heroes

Kap

Re: Charlton Action Heroes

Charlton Comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlton_Comics

List of Charlton Comics publications

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Charlton_Comics_publications

Charlton Bullseye (fanzine)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlton_Bullseye_(fanzine)

Cheers

QM

Thanks for the links but I already have complete runs of all the Charlton Action Heroes except Sarge Steel and Judo Master. I'm just looking to see how others would construct these characters.

--Kap

Pulp Hero, Golden Age Champions, and Dark Champions: the Animated Series would be your best resources for Carleton Action Heroes. Sarge Steel is a Super Spy with an Iron Fist and Judo Master is a Ultimate Martial Artist type character. There power levels will not be as high as your standard 400pt character, but their skills will be higher. Both are Trained Paranormal Superhumans. In the old venacular.

More later

QM

There is a Judomaster on The Netbook of Superheroes' date=' but it says that the comic is D.C.[/quote']

DC has a habbit of buying old comic book charaters from defunk comic book companys, then holding on to them for years before doing anything with them. Heck, it wasen't untill Crises on Infitent Earths that thay did ANYTHING with the Charlton Comic charaters thay bought. And it was years before thay used Captian Marvel (the Big Red Cheese one) and Plastic Man.

Heh, they (DC) ended up inventing Elongated Man, because they had forgotten that they owned Plastic Man at the time. Some of my favorite Characters in comics are Charlton Comics characters. Would be an interesting write up challenge.

For Teh Bunneh: [ATTACH=CONFIG]41405[/ATTACH]

And for Narf the Mouse: [ATTACH=CONFIG]41406[/ATTACH]

~Rex

Heh' date=' they (DC) ended up inventing Elongated Man, because they had forgotten that they owned Plastic Man at the time.[/quote']

I think it was more "Man...that charater is to wild for the CCA...but he has cool powers. Lets rename him and cast Dick Van Dike as him and see what we can see till we can get Plaze's personality watered down enougth for CCA aproval."

Question: Does anyone else miss the second Blue Beetal?

Heh, folks are still debating it. Only Julius Schwartz knows for sure and obviously he ain't talkin no more (shame to he was brilliant). Plas made it fairly well in the pre flashpoint DCU, even making Batman's List of "Never Wanting to Fight *insert name here*"....

I think the DCnU made a big mistake NOT bringing Ted Kord Back. On the other hand in order to do that they would have had to fix this crappy time span they have all this new stuff crammed into, and that's before you get into the problems of maybe having Dan Garrett around as well... I don't get why DC has this thing going where they constantly throw a new coat of paint on something that Always Fails, instead of running with what their fanbase is actually asking for.... Creators Pet Projects. I expect at least 12 more attempts to get enough people liking Jaime Reyes that he actually gets a steady fanbase going.....

So yeah I miss the BBII. Charlton rolled out some strong characters.

~Rex

DC has a habbit of buying old comic book charaters from defunk comic book companys' date=' then holding on to them for years before doing anything with them. Heck, it wasen't untill Crises on Infitent Earths that thay did ANYTHING with the Charlton Comic charaters thay bought. [/quote']

The story goes - and this was repeated in a recent issue of Alter Ego magazine - that Paul Levitz arranged for the Charlton Heroes purchase as a gift to Dick Giordano. Giordano ended up being too busy to do anything with them, though, hence the delay.

Heh, they (DC) ended up inventing Elongated Man, because they had forgotten that they owned Plastic Man at the time. Some of my favorite Characters in comics are Charlton Comics characters. Would be an interesting write up challenge.

For Teh Bunneh: [ATTACH=CONFIG]41405[/ATTACH]

And for Narf the Mouse: [ATTACH=CONFIG]41406[/ATTACH]

~Rex

I read that there is no record at the Library of Congress of a transfer of copyrights from Quality Comics to D.C., but rather a purchase of trademarks only. That may be the real reason D.C. developed Elongated Man and didn't bring publish Plastic Man until 1966, when Quality closed shop in 1956 and sold its titles to D.C. Plastic Man may in fact be in the public domain, but I wouldn't recommend trying to fight Warner Brothers' deep pockets. Blue Beetle (the original version) and Phantom Lady (original version) are in the public domain.

--Kap

Like i said, only Julius Schwartz will ever know and unless we hold a seance, we ain't getting the info out of him, heh. That dude was sheer brilliance in action though as far as what he did in the comic industry..... Wikipedia even jumped on the Elongated man/Plastic Man quote stuff, but then, Wikiaccurate :D ....

Charlton though has left a pretty good legacy with most of it's "decendants" still in play here and there at least on the super hero level. Some of the stuff that went public domain though did get put to use by Dynamite with their Project Super Powers books. Those are a fun read if folks haven't seen them yet.

~Rex

Heh, folks are still debating it. Only Julius Schwartz knows for sure and obviously he ain't talkin no more (shame to he was brilliant). Plas made it fairly well in the pre flashpoint DCU, even making Batman's List of "Never Wanting to Fight *insert name here*"....

I think the DCnU made a big mistake NOT bringing Ted Kord Back. On the other hand in order to do that they would have had to fix this crappy time span they have all this new stuff crammed into, and that's before you get into the problems of maybe having Dan Garrett around as well... I don't get why DC has this thing going where they constantly throw a new coat of paint on something that Always Fails, instead of running with what their fanbase is actually asking for.... Creators Pet Projects. I expect at least 12 more attempts to get enough people liking Jaime Reyes that he actually gets a steady fanbase going.....

So yeah I miss the BBII. Charlton rolled out some strong characters.

~Rex

Hmmm... Other than Captain Atom, are any of the old Charlton characters being actively used in the new DC? (Blue Beetle doesn't count. He's very much NOT either of the Charlton Blue Beetle's, and so far I don't think the new title has created any actual link between them).

Myhaps DC is planning to revive Earth-4?

I miss the Ditko Blue Beetle, Ditko Question, Ditko Captain Atom, and Thunderbolt! Heck, I even enjoyed Peacemaker and Nightshade. It's too bad there's no Earth-Charlton where they're being used. It was a great concept to have no super powers (except Captain Atom grandfathered in), just special gadgets, gimmicks, and skills. I'd love to play a Champions game in that world.

--Kap

There's always Watchmen--I believe they're statted up at Surbrook's site. Of course the campaign world is the embodiment of the word "crapsack' date='" but them's the breaks, eh?[/quote']

Watchmen diverges enough from the source material that the characters are essentially unrecognizable as the Charlton Action Heroes. I liked the comic book of Watchmen except for its utter lack of a sense of humor about grown men in tights beating on crooks and each other.

I guess I'll have to write up my own versions of the '66 Charlton Action Heroes--sounds like no one else has done it.

--Kap

Well supposedly Ted Kord still has a presence in the DCnU, so there's still some real Blue Beetle reference.... The rest are rather debatable at the moment, but they were pretty much All there pre Flashpoint. I'll poke around the vines a bit and see if some info falls out...

~Rex

I miss the Ditko Blue Beetle, Ditko Question, Ditko Captain Atom, and Thunderbolt! Heck, I even enjoyed Peacemaker and Nightshade. It's too bad there's no Earth-Charlton where they're being used. It was a great concept to have no super powers (except Captain Atom grandfathered in), just special gadgets, gimmicks, and skills. I'd love to play a Champions game in that world.

--Kap

my understanding is that peter cannon ...THUNDERBOLTis owned by the estate of peter a. morisi aka p.a.m. his creatort he morisis beleivd they owned 5o%of the character and didn't approve of DCcomis buying him the successfully had the sale overturned

Well supposedly Ted Kord still has a presence in the DCnU, so there's still some real Blue Beetle reference.... The rest are rather debatable at the moment, but they were pretty much All there pre Flashpoint. I'll poke around the vines a bit and see if some info falls out...

~Rex

Well the way the rights are betweeen comics and tv I not sure, but Ted Kord had a presence in Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon series.

my understanding is that peter cannon ...THUNDERBOLTis owned by the estate of peter a. morisi aka p.a.m. his creatort he morisis beleivd they owned 5o%of the character and didn't approve of DCcomis buying him the successfully had the sale overturned

I recently read an interview with Dick Giordano in which he stated that he essentially gave Thunderbolt back to Mr. Morisi. That's probably true as Giordano and Morisi knew each other for a long time and worked together at Charlton. I don't think there's any evidence that Morisi had an ownership stake in a character created as work-for-hire any more than Jack Kirby had an ownership stake in the New Gods.