Where does it show the price list for Hero system equipment guide.

sevrick

Re: Where does it show the price list for Hero system equipment guide.

Agreed. I've often wondered where the prices in' date=' for example, Dee-n-Dee come from. Are they relatively arbitrary, or do they take into account the amount of time, effort, and (potentially) need for high levels of skill to make something or do something? And if it takes a very skilled person (or team) lots of time to make something that many other trades need, wouldn't that thus raise the price of those "second tier(?)" products/services? If (to pick a number from the Æther) a suit of metal armor costs X, then be default, the amount of metal needed to make that suit *can't* cost the armorer more than X, and in necessity (in this example) must be a fair amount less than that.[/quote']

I've just been perusing OD&D and AD&D 1ed for the amusement factor and they had a bit about "gold rush pricing" where the prices are wildly inflated due to short supplies and high cash supply. I'm pretty sure they are just made up. They don't have to worry about material prices since there aren't any. The closest they get to anything like that is in the hirelings section where they talk about armorers can make so many suits of armor or blacksmiths can make so many weapons, etc.

Is it just me, or does Sevrick represent the 'new blood' Hero System needs and we probably shouldn't be making fun of his youthfully improper grammar and spelling or his previous gaming choices until we're, say... back to profitability?

Is it just me' date=' or does Sevrick represent the 'new blood' Hero System needs and we probably shouldn't be making fun of his youthfully improper grammar and spelling or his previous gaming choices until we're, say... back to profitability?[/quote']

I'm not sure he's youthful, I haven't seen anyone make fun of his gaming choices, but one person did make fun of his spelling. I know I tried to answer his question.

I'm just hoping all the barter banter didn't turn him (or her?) off.

Lucius Alexander

When Palindromedary Enterprises offered to sell two palindromedaries at 50% off, that meant 50% off the palindromedaries, not off the price. You get two halves of two palindromedaries. Do you want tops or bottoms?

I was just having fun with the barter stuff. Laughing with everyone and not at anyone.

I think the OP had a decent question, one that wouldn't occur to someone who is used to the extreme freedom Hero grants to world-builders, and I hope that the honest attempts to answer his question proved satisfactory. The bottom line is, Hero is so flexible that it is impossible to set prices in such a way as to cover all possible contingencies in all possible worlds.

I was just having fun with the barter stuff. Laughing with everyone and not at anyone.

I think the OP had a decent question, one that wouldn't occur to someone who is used to the extreme freedom Hero grants to world-builders, and I hope that the honest attempts to answer his question proved satisfactory. The bottom line is, Hero is so flexible that it is impossible to set prices in such a way as to cover all possible contingencies in all possible worlds.

Nonetheless, I do agree with the sentiment that prices of goods, gadgets, and services might need to be mentioned somewhere - particularly in the discussions regarding "equipment costing points vs. equipment costing money." I came up with my own solution, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be something to address in future versions / publications.

I'm not sure he's youthful' date=' [b']I haven't seen anyone make fun of his gaming choices[/b], but one person did make fun of his spelling. I know I tried to answer his question.

I'm just hoping all the barter banter didn't turn him (or her?) off.

Lucius Alexander

When Palindromedary Enterprises offered to sell two palindromedaries at 50% off, that meant 50% off the palindromedaries, not off the price. You get two halves of two palindromedaries. Do you want tops or bottoms?

His other post where he gets more of the same

Granted he was somewhat unwarranted in that post but it's worth asking what he means before we react negatively.

A lot of the new people we see looking to get into Hero System aren't going to be perfect, they might not be well spoken, or gaming veterans, or elderly and curmudgeonly like the rest of us, but I'm willing to bet they or their guardians have cash and they want to use it on Hero books. We might want to watch our snarky replies when the post count is below 10.

Sorry if I have overstepped my bounds here or caused any bad blood, but recently I have seen posts about what can we do to make Hero more accessible, and I think it's foundational that we start right here on the forums by being a bit more welcoming.

Which was a year and a half ago, so whatever else he is he's not new.

I think we already do a good job of being welcoming (certainly compared to other places I hang out online...) but I won't say you're wrong to suggest we could improve.

Lucius Alexander

What's the exchange rate for palindromedaries and backandforthtrians?

Granted he was somewhat unwarranted in that post but it's worth asking what he means before we react negatively.

I agree with you that we should be nice to the newcomers. As far as forums go, this one's pretty pleasant in my experience, and I've been here through maybe six iterations of the boards.

However, I don't think it's necessary to give a blanket pass to poorly-worded rants or to text-speak, or to assume that either is due to youth. Given the international nature of the Web, I'm surprised that the first thing you came to for the language usage was age rather than being a non-native speaker. That's sad.

I think it's fine to ask for clarification or to point out when someone isn't communicating clearly. I agree with you that it should be done politely, but not for your reasons. Any native speaking young person who wants to communicate can use the basic skills they learned in grade school to compose a coherent sentence.

As to the other thread, the ribbing received didn't seem excessive (though maybe repetitive), and seemed to be well-earned.

Talking it to death is probably doing nothing to encourage further participation from him in any case.Lucius AlexanderCan talk all four front legs off a palindromedary
He's been on the board nearly 3 years and has posted all of 5 times, 2 of which were to complain. I highly doubt our conversation has anythingto do with him not joining in..Did anyone else read the thread title and think it was a legit question (ie he thought there was a price list or wanted to know where one could be found)? Felt like a bait-and-switch bordering on trolling to me. Maybe I'm reading into it because the OP was worded rather offensively, and I am not saying that was his intention, but all things considered I hardly feel the rresponses were overly harsh..EDIT: Out of the 5 or 6 forums I have frequented on and off over the years Hero is easily the most welcoming and (considering I've added my fair share of rudeness, arguingm and stupidity) als the most forgiving.

He's been on the board nearly 3 years and has posted all of 5 times' date=' 2 of which were to complain. I highly doubt our conversation has anythingto do with him not joining in..Did anyone else read the thread title and think it was a legit question (ie he thought there was a price list or wanted to know where one could be found)? Felt like a bait-and-switch bordering on trolling to me. Maybe I'm reading into it because the OP was worded rather offensively, and I am not saying that was his intention, but all things considered I hardly feel the rresponses were overly harsh..EDIT: Out of the 5 or 6 forums I have frequented on and off over the years Hero is easily the most welcoming and (considering I've added my fair share of rudeness, arguingm and stupidity) als the most forgiving.[/quote']

Which is why I assumed he was a kid. His post was rather indelicate, but worth treating as a genuine request for assistance in any event. If he's serious we help him and present ourselves as a helpful non-elitist group worthy of new gamers. If he is disingenuous, we kill the post with kindness and do not come off as reactionary. in the end, regardless of his intent, we reply as a helpful group accepting of new players and looking like a good place for new gamers to join and contribute, and that is never bad.

However' date=' I don't think it's necessary to give a blanket pass to poorly-worded rants or to text-speak, or to assume that either is due to youth. Given the international nature of the Web, I'm surprised that the first thing you came to for the language usage was age rather than being a non-native speaker. That's sad.[/quote']

I think if the post count is under 10, then yes, they get a blanket pass to find a welcoming community looking for new blood. We can work on their posting skills later (because that's our job to police the forums*) As far as child or non-native speaker, it's not sad, it's irrelevant.

Sorry, but assuming one is being rude and replying in kind only makes us look bad and a difficult group to get to know and with which to participate. We really don't get all that many new users, that we can afford to turn them away with the simple assumption that they meant to be rude.

Look, I am not trying to say this group is low on the list of friendly forums, but we are a snarky bunch, and sometimes a new member just wants his question answered. Who cares if we look at the post and think, "Why did he ask that?!" He's here, he asked it, and it's our chance to get him onboard with the best role-playing system ever made. (or make jokes and laugh amongst ourselves and send him packing, not returning for 18 months. I know which I would prefer if I were new here.)

(but I am done here, nobody likes to be browbeaten, nor do I like to browbeat. All my OP was meant to do was to get you to stop and think, not rap your knuckles with a ruler. Once again, this is posted in all due respect to this community.)

*Some statements may contain more than 50% sarcasm.

But your the only one in this thread whose remarks are even close to "trying to police the forum". He asked a yes/no question and the answer was almost universally "no". The fact that the responses were in the negative does not make the responses themselves negative, if you get my meaning. Regardless of how little he posts I would hardly continue to call someone who has been on the boards for 3 years "new". Heck, I've only been around half a year longer. Did a few of the responses contain some snark? Sure. Were any of them rude, elitist a-hole comments sure to chase someone off? Hardy.

I think if the post count is under 10, then yes, they get a blanket pass to find a welcoming community looking for new blood. We can work on their posting skills later (because that's our job to police the forums*) As far as child or non-native speaker, it's not sad, it's irrelevant.

It's sad, because of the implicit assumption that our educational system has sunk so low. Which it probably has.

(but I am done here, nobody likes to be browbeaten, nor do I like to browbeat. All my OP was meant to do was to get you to stop and think, not rap your knuckles with a ruler. Once again, this is posted in all due respect to this community.)

Then don't rap our knuckles with a ruler. (Actually, I don't think I entered the thread until after you, so I'm not in that particular "we" anyway.) Nobody was doing anything infraction worthy, here. If the OP posts in an abrasive manner, he's going to get a little bit of that back from a few people. It's inevitable. The response was pretty mild, IMO.

I don't see the point in coddling poor communication skills or an abrasive attitude. At the same time, nobody really went all out on him, either, AND he got several very salient answers to his questions in both threads.