Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

Tasha

I had a different reaction, of eerie familiarity. I think I've read things like this, 30-40 years ago. This kind of piece is not helpful, it provides no insights that the people being complained about might learn from and resolve to become better people or stop something they hadn't recognized was a very common problem. This is an all-Y-are just conflict-oriented jerks puff piece, broad strokes Paint Those People Bad, when what they Really Ought To Do Is Cave In Immediately.

Used to be women shut men men down with "insensitive". Happened so often it was a stereotype. One size fits all, play that card and you win the debate, and everyone on your side of the Great Divide nodded and added murmurs of support without having to know anything about the actual personal dynamics of the situation.

So (if I have the sense of the complaint right) after two generations, men learned the tactic, found a descriptive word that in a cartoon world globally fit the adversary, and turned the tables on the situation, apparently. Gosh, how unfair and inappropriate You-Must-Stop-That-Immediately.

The games industry is wrong about kids, gaming and gender

"We as developers," Burch said, "understandably ... are afraid of our games not selling.

"It’s terrifying to imagine that your game’s not going to sell. But it could be that we are falsely attributing the success of past games to things that don’t actually matter to the kids that are playing them."

To emphasize that point, the authors noted that fewer boys than girls had strong feelings on what the gender of their character was at all.

When high-school aged students were asked "Are you more likely to play a game based on the character’s gender?" 28 percent of girls said yes, while only 20 percent of boys said yes.

Therefore, to ignore girls' stronger preference to play as a female characters is to ignore the potential to fuel their appetite for games. When developers push male protagonists to the forefront, they're not encouraging sales among boys. They're actually stifling sales among girls.

I am suspicious of mere questions asked, and would prefer seeing a study done where boys were allowed to choose from among games that were otherwise identical but had a different gender character.  Heck, you could do that on Warcraft, just checking gender of player against gender of character they play.

Actually, I think this is a universal phenomenon that advertisers have known about for decades. I remember reading something a long time ago ... 25 years ago? that something like this was true for the success of ads within the African-American community. Ads that showed an African-American got much higher response from African-American consumers, without a detectable change in response from white consumers. My guess is that this is generalizable to any population which is not one which has historically been the dominant population depicted in that medium.

So, if there has been a history that few female videogame characters available in a genre, then I would expect that games that featured female characters in strong roles/capacities/niches will sell better to women/girls. And the male consumers don't notice/don't care.

At some point, the previously dominant population notices, though. It is gradual, but no one is so stupid that they fail to notice that "people who look like them" are no longer the primary target of the medium. It'll be amusing when that effect shows up in videogames and the producer response will be, "Gosh, the guys aren't buying our stuff any more! What's wrong with them ["them" being the guys, not the products]?" Which will draw the response "They're just neanderthal mouthbreathing sexist pigs who want their cleavage eye-candy."

So, I've noticed this for TV ads. (I admit I watch approximately no TV other than live sporting events.) Being an old white guy (I'm 58) I have done the exercise of looking at ads and see who they are being targeted at. My experience the last couple of years is there are, I think, only three classes of products that predominantly show old white guys as the primary target of their advertising. What are those products? Life insurance; upscale cars (Mercedes, BMWs, etc.), and erectile dysfunction drugs. Oh yeah, this time of year, there's some income tax prep ads, too. No, I don't buy any of those. But I don't buy products whose ads are avoiding my demographic, either.

(Yes, I'm a vengeful S.O.B.)

Anyway, this is a pendulum-swing thing that the FPS-genre videogame industry seemingly is just now discovering, it seems. Other videogame genres (the puzzle-type things like Candy Crunch, Bejeweled, etc.) have targeted a nearly exclusively female audience for years.

Now, I haven't bought a videogame for myself in years, though a lot of that has to do with the need for fast and precise reflexes (I've never had those) and lots and lots of lots of uncontested bandwidth (and I'm too cheap to pay for that).

Heck, you could do that on Warcraft, just checking gender of player against gender of character they play.

I'm a male, and checking my WoW account reveals that I have three male characters and eight female characters. In "characters I actually play" it's an even split.

I am suspicious of mere questions asked, and would prefer seeing a study done where boys were allowed to choose from among games that were otherwise identical but had a different gender character.  Heck, you could do that on Warcraft, just checking gender of player against gender of character they play.

Anecdotal, of course, but among my online gaming group, the female players have expressed strong disappointment that they can't choose the gender of their character in some games, while the males (myself included) really don't seem to care. Frankly, it bothers me more that I have to use a skin to give my Templar some frickin' pants!

cheers, Mark

'Games were supposed to be a fun career choice: Now I'm afraid I'll get murdered'

Game developers, designers, and critics discussed their reasons for staying in the industry at GDC 2015. In a powerful segment called the "Empty Chair," Romero displayed anonymous comments made by people too afraid to speak up publicly, while the room stood completely silent. For example:

• "Games were supposed to be a fun career choice. Now I'm afraid I'll get murdered."
  • "I used to check Twitter for fun. Now it's fear." 
  • "There isn't a woman alive who doesn't have to worry about this."
  • "I don't draw attention to my femininity in order to survive as a developer. I disguise it with tomboyish behavior and silliness. I am neither." 

Audience members and panelists alike could be heard crying.

Pertinent bit here...

Batgirl’s regular artist, Cameron Stewart, took to Twitter to clarify DC’s statement and said harassment hadn’t been directed at Albuquerque personally, but to people objecting to the cover. He added in a series of tweets: “I stand behind Rafael as an artist and a friend, and think he made the right decision. The cover was not seen or approved by anyone on Team Batgirl and was completely at odds with what we are doing with the comic. So, we have the creators of the book and the artist himself all agreeing that the cover was inappropriate. There’s no ‘censorship’ here.”