What If #14...There Can Be Only One...

Mayday

One evening a giant spacegoing battleship studded with weaponry, capable of holding thousands of troops, appears around our moon broadcasting messages in all known languages demanding a Champion of Earth from each gender to meet their Champion in 1 day's time or else. The Terran Champions are to stand alone on top of the tallest pyramid in Giza for pickup, the transmission ends. No communications sent are responded to. No video was included to give you an idea of their Champion.

Those with KS: intergalactic races may recognize the ship as from a race similar to the Minoans, who took teens as tribute to be trained in bull dancing (gymnastics using live bulls) and began the myth of the Minotaur. The successful champions were celebrities, invited to parties and had numerous offers of sleeping partners, were given expensive gifts... but often lived short lives and always remained prisoners.

After reading some of the recent What If posts I started to wonder. We have such a range of characters represented here. Some mega powerful, some with strong personalities, some sadistic and evil but successful. The strongest may not be the smartest, or the sneakiest but the best candidate may also be a villain (and not interested in exposing his skin to save others) or be little known.

Rather than use book heroes, who among our own creations or teams would be potential candidates (and who among you is going to rocket over and disrupt the proceedings.) :-)

My character...

...would be sitting this one out, praying for the fate of the world. He's not the most powerful of his world's robots -- and it wouldn't be improbable for the actual top 5 to waste their time duking it out. Humans probably wouldn't even be considered -- even the most elite human warriors of his world are scarcely on par with the average robot. He'd be rather scared, too; the only aliens who've visited his world in the past possessed technology so inobvious and advanced that they appeared to be gods... -- Pteryx

My characters would be sitting this one out as well. This is totally out of Shdowhunter's league. Mind Maiden's VPP makes her powerful, but she isn't a stand up fighter. And Quasar is powerful, but not extremely so. There are much more powerful flying bricks, and characters with much more powerful EBs.

One Question.

Or What?

If they are just looking for the best then let the those who think they are the best show up.

If they want the best or they destroy the planet.

Well then I would have to get on that ship and release any prisoners they might have and find some way of stoping them.

A.

Since you said we could use own creations, I'll use NPCs.

Hero: Well, the most powerful Earth Hero got abducted by aliens 25 years ago. So the duty would fall on Mammoth, sel-proclaimed protector of Iceland. (Use stats from EE: Mammoth. Replace picture. Give him 40 intelligence, a bunch of sciences, and followers, every Scandinavian character listed in European Enemies. Yes, I was able to use that book for something...) Not only would he volunteer, he would point out that if the challenge is mental or physical, he is the strongest in both areas.

Heroine: Arclight, US Army Captain, member of "Joint Force", and half-Vietnames American. Anxious to prove herself, she would probably volunteer. Her power is a 18d6 explosion, at no range, linked to a teleport (so she escapes unharmed). She also likes guns.

Disruption: Mister Fabulous hearing of the alien spaceship, would enter his spacecraft hangar (seperate from the aircraft hangar) and rocket off into space. He would land at his hidden moon base, and begin powering up the 3 mile long mass driver he built there last year (using his rehabilitated Mechanon, who wishes only to do good in the universe). As the Mass Driver can only fire in one direction, he would have to wait patiently until the ship came within target. While he is waiting for this to occur, he would radio his non-superpowered clone (created by Dr. Grondicus), who is now working as an advertizing executive. They would get distracted discussing and debate the morals of the situation for several days, while the hostile ship takes the Terran Champions aboard, and leaves. Mister Fabulous would be horrified that his distraction allowed this atrocity to happen, and would assemble a team of Earth's mightiest heroes to rescue the missing heroes.

Anthem (who weighs in at 900 points and is essentially superman) would call together the other 19 members of the Freedom Patrol and have their resident cosmic power user port them onto the battleships engineering section where they would proceed to rip it apart from the inside out, or plant a quantum weapon (they do have some) for detonation. No sense in all of this "face us in single combat" garbage when the peace, prosperity, and relative freedom of 6 billion humans is on the line. He doesn't get paid to fight fair. He gets paid to win.

Midnight - would hope someone goes out there are kicks their alien butts, but knows its not going to be him.

Pinstripe - would sincerely hope whoever goes up there is as murderous as he is.

Doc Micro - would immediately begin constructing a micro-cannon he could use to shrink the ship down to model size.

Omega (foul mouthed 20-year-old uberbeing(w/magic powers variable pool)/brick): He goes to the building immediately, and shouts "why wait, let's do this now!", interspersed with an accusation that involves a less than euphemistic word for chicken droppings, until something happens.

Stuntman (handsome but pragmatic tough guy super in his early 30s, nearly impervious to pain). Helps the other Hollywood Knights infiltrate the alien craft just before the fight, getting Jerayla's spaceship ready to use as an escape vehicle in case the aliens kidnap the Terran champions.

Thundrax (teenaged boy scout teenaged boy scout brick). Shamus says this situation's too big for them. Thundrax rolls his eyes, but follows his team leader's lead and sits back to watch whatever happens on television.

Johnny (minor league superhero leader, marginally superhuman martial artist, a normal with a few luck powers). He contacts the appopriate big league groups to discuss the situation, probably comes to the conclusion that Dr. Destroyer or the bad guy equivalent is the best candidate, then goes off to persuade him to fight for humanity.

Pan (as in Peter Pan, exiled from Neverland), decides that the challenge sounds like a great adventure and flies off to meet it. Fortunately his teammates intercept him, grab him, and bring him back to the Academy.

Scott Bennie

Scary to think about 55d6 damage!

So (assuming we are all in the same world (more or less) with Mister Fabulous offering you a chance to go get them, who's up for the trip?

Many of my characters, although lacking the raw power levels to be selected as one of the two champions, would try to help. Like my gadgeteer give the two chosen a few premade gadgets to help them out.

Same for assaulting the ship, none have spacecraft access but a few have Flight and Life Support. If someone else had a ship they'd go along. Wraithe would be ordered to go, and to bring back the alien ship or some tech at the very least I'm sure. (she works for PRIMUS).

Originally posted by Mayday

So (assuming we are all in the same world (more or less) with Mister Fabulous offering you a chance to go get them, who's up for the trip?

Quasar would go. He wouldn't want to, but would feel duty bound to go. While he wouldn't try to lead the team (he'd know he was out of his depth) he would support the natural team leader in every way, and insist on co-ordinated teamwork.

All you guy's characters have the Teamwork skill, right?

Mind Maiden wouldn't actually go, but through Clairsentience would "follow" you, as well as using Images to comunicate with you. She would hold back, waiting for the right time to Mind Scan an important alien, then Mind Control him and force him to activate the ship's self destruct mechinism.

Shadowhunter would stay behind and call in every favor, contact every Mafia Boss & low level super villain he could think of in order to orginise "La Resistance" after the invasion started.

Originally posted by phydaux

All you guy's characters have the Teamwork skill, right?

Assault's _been_ a member of a team. Does that count? :)

It's not a problem for him anyway. He's a front line butt kicking machine. His job is to buy time for the tacticians. His other role is to kick people when they're down.

Hmm. Maybe he should play Rugby.

Alan

(Actually he would play Rugby League, but that's another story.)

Anthem is a realist. She's also (intentionally) 50pts smaller than the starting characters of the campaign in order to give her some "spunkiness". She's not the one you want.

Audra Blue is a non-combatant, unless you can convince the aliens to log into the net, then she'll give 'em a fight.

Uncle Slam is a powerful hero, but he knows he's the not pinnacle of evolution. He would seek out his oldest friend, a fellow WWII era hero named Paragon, who is the highest point hero in the game. Problem: Paragon is retired because the thing that gave him powers is also what is killing him. But he would definitely come out of retirement at the risk of death, just to save th earth one last time.

Well, Comet would be a-raring to go; a flying brick with serious heat resistance and Spider-Man's responsibility thing won't hesitate before stepping up.

Of course, Archangel might have something to say about that (warrior-angel that counters Dark Seraph). He and his Sword of the Heavens will be more than ready for the challenge.

As for the ladies, I'd have to go with Valkyrie. Spear, winged helmet, armor, 55 STR...yeah, she's there.

Glen

Hmm. Part of Scales' original origin had a intergalactic gladiatorial group trying to kidnap him for the games. In the resulting battle, his wife was killed.

Screw going to Giza and waiting. Scales and the rest of the Protector's would make sure they wouldn't be coming to this sector again.

Originally posted by Chuckg

> You don't get it.

How *can* I get it if you don't tell us? I didn't see the word 'Malvan' anywhere in the description of the bad guys.

I deliberately did not say Malvan because everyone knows about Firewing and I wanted to leave things open to the imagination, nor did I want the imagination to center on Malvan or Roman style gladiatorial bouts. In fact, the guy running through my head the most was Galactus when I wrote this up, the two fighting his Champion for the life of the Earth. But I didn't want to limit it that way either. You people are very creative and I always like to see what you come up with.

Firewing may or may not be involved, doesnt matter to me and if I were running this, the best heroes for the job would not be the strong slow brick just because everyone always chooses them. How about a battle of wits? Or puns? Of dexterity?

That Firewing might try to jump in and claim a spot I hadnt thought of but it is a good idea. I'd definately use that.

I was also interested to see how people who might not be "The One" could help the Two out in some way. Loaning foci, or some bio-enhancement drugs or doing a mystic rite or two to purify/buff them up. Some took it another route, preparing for the invasion afterward.

And also, while the aliens are focused on Giza who was going to be sneaking in the back way, or in some cases charging in immediately. They are only aliens, but where does the implied Fate of the World hang against Code V Killing, or other hangups that might hinder proceedings.

I should have been less vague, and I apologize. I'll try to do better next time.

Warp: He wouldn't be considered a canidate to be Earth's Champion, but has a fellow team member who would be. So while Horus-Re gets ready to fight the alien champion as a delaying tactic, Warp and the others will be preparing a raiding party to board the ship with his spatial manipulation powers and gain control of it.

Spectrum: Could possibly be a canidate. He is one of the most powerful energy manipulators on the planet. He's also a Colonel in the Air Force, and thus subject to orders. If he's commanded to fight on behalf of Earth, he'll do so. If he's commanded to lead an attack against the aliens, he'll do that too.

Mystic: Not a canidate for Champion, unless of course it's a magical battle they want. He could however magicaly pump up whoever is a Champion though. And he'll be watching the battle and be ready to extract him when necessary.

Proteus: Bioadaptive shapechanger, he'd sneak on board the ship disguised as part of the Champion's gear or clothing, and then slip away to commit acts of sabatoge, lowering the shields so an attacking force from Earth can board.

Originally posted by Mayday

I was also interested to see how people who might not be "The One" could help the Two out in some way. Loaning foci, or some bio-enhancement drugs or doing a mystic rite

Not genera. As GM I wouldn't allow it.

After all, when has Batman ever offered his Utility Belt to Blue Beetle, or Hawkeye offered his Bow to Iron Man?

That's the thing about Supers genera. Like Scott Evil, lot of the things the PCs would think of make great sense, but would also make for a short and boring movie, er, ah, adventure.

Originally posted by phydaux

Not genera. As GM I wouldn't allow it.

After all, when has Batman ever offered his Utility Belt to Blue Beetle, or Hawkeye offered his Bow to Iron Man?

That's the thing about Supers genera. Like Scott Evil, lot of the things the PCs would think of make great sense, but would also make for a short and boring movie, er, ah, adventure.

I could swear I've seen foci loaned here and there. I would argue it is in genre, when the stakes call for it.

Cap's shield has been borrowed a few times.