Things That Exist in a Superhero Universe

Cassandra

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Things That Exist in a Superhero Universe

Active deities and pantheons that proclaim their divinity and perform incredible feats but don't attract any meaningful numbers of new followers.

Corporations that don't throw huge sums of money at the inventors of world changing technology.

Or demonstrations against them.

I think DC touched on this very lightly with the Church of Superman and in Wonder Woman. If I did a reboot of Thor I think I would bring it up.

I think DC touched on this very lightly with the Church of Superman and in Wonder Woman. If I did a reboot of Thor I think I would bring it up.

It has been touched on briefly in Thor's own comic, with a small number of modern worshippers of him (which made him visibly uncomfortable). He was also uncomfortable during one issue of Avengers when the team pursued Ultron's trail into a Catholic church. Thor remarked on some religious people considering his very existence an offense to their faith.

Interestingly enough, in the real world modern-day pagans in Germany and Scandinavia have revived the worship of the Germanic/ Norse gods, under such names as "Asatru" and "Wodenism."

Hidden bases and research labs that somehow remain a secret despite the enormous resources required to construct them. Nobody notices the materiel being moved and the laborers going to and fro?

Not to mention the extreme (or unusual) energy to maintain all that powerful equipment, all the unusual supplies that will constantly be resupplied, etc.

How do you know there are not any secret bases in the real world? If you knew about them they wouldn't be secret would they now.

True, but I'm not in the business of looking for them. Have you any ideas on how to hide the purchase and movement of a thousand tons of concrete and steel, then hide the construction activity, and then get everybody who worked on it (which is likely in the low thousands) to shut up? That's the kind of challenge you have in building a secret base. That's why DoD never really tried to keep Cheyenne Mountain and the midwestern nuclear launch sites a secret. What goes on inside is secret, but the fact of them isn't. Just think how much harder it would be to hide things in a superhero universe.

. . . Have you any ideas on how to hide the purchase and movement of a thousand tons of concrete and steel' date=' then hide the construction activity, and then get everybody who worked on it (which is likely in the low thousands) to shut up? . . .[/quote']

Yes

Costumes that ignore the laws of physics and physiology.

I see how costumes disobey physics (they don't seem to suffer damage except in "safe for kids to view" places), but I don't see how they have anything to do with the physiology of their wearer.

How do you know there are not any secret bases in the real world? If you knew about them they wouldn't be secret would they now.

From a long-ago conversation:

"A domain named 'haystack.edu' really needs a machine named 'needle'."

"Maybe it has one, and you can't find it."

EDIT: "Legendary" local phenomena that have existed for a while could easily be co-opted to cover for secret base sort of stuff. The Marfa Lights are one such.

I see how costumes disobey physics (they don't seem to suffer damage except in "safe for kids to view" places)' date=' but I don't see how they have anything to do with the physiology of their wearer.[/quote']

I loved it the time She-Hulk was asked about her indestructible undies, and she displayed the clothing tag "Protected by the Comics Code".

Superheroes and supervillains being elected President of the United States (Nighthawk, Captain America, Lex Luthor).

Presidents of the United States being elected and then quietly forgotten (Martin Suarez, Jonathan Vincent Horne, Henry Knight)