Conspiracy Theory: Who was really behind the destruction of Detroit?

Kirby

Re: Conspiracy Theory: Who was really behind the destruction of Detroit?

Adrian Veidt. He used the lithium produced by Dr. Manhattan to build electric cars and put the city out of business.

Really? :straight:

I was thinking something more consistent with an actual Champions campaign as opposed to just humorous one liners.

YMMV.

Cassandra's suggestion works perfectly well if you substitute appropriate CU characters for Adrian Veidt and Dr Manhattan.

I can't think of anyone in particularly, but I'm sure there's a decent transmuter around somewhere.

The Incubus has the power to alter reality enough for the events leading to the Battle of Detroit to come about, without anyone necessarily realizing he's behind it. And causing painful chaos is just the kind of "practical joke" he relishes.

The inhabitants of the Vale of Javangari worship Dr. Destroyer as an avatar of the god Shiva. Perhaps the real Shiva took notice and decided this arrogant mortal needed to be taken down a peg. OTOH since Shiva represents destruction as the prelude to new creation, and considering the state of the city of Detroit at the time, he could have concluded this was an opportunity for some extreme urban renewal. ;)

Listen, when Doc Destroyer or some other super powered maniac has his hands around your throat and is telling you don't have what it takes to save the world, just remember what ol' Burt Jackson does at a time like this. Yeah, Burt Jackson stands tall and says, "You're about to enter a world of pain, pinhead!"

Burt Jackson took the Pork Rind Express down a narrow alley in Chinatown in search of his friend's fiancée. Then all hell broke loose. And Chinese have a lot of Hells.

The inhabitants of the Vale of Javangari worship Dr. Destroyer as an avatar of the god Shiva. Perhaps the real Shiva took notice and decided this arrogant mortal needed to be taken down a peg. OTOH since Shiva represents destruction as the prelude to new creation' date=' and considering the state of the city of Detroit at the time, he could have concluded this was an opportunity for some extreme urban renewal. ;)[/quote']

That Shiva might destroy Detroit as the prelude to a new creation is not inconsistent with Dr. Destroyer actually being an avatar of Shiva.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks if even Dr. Destroyer can be sure he is NOT an avatar of Shiva. Is an avatar's ego-consciousness necessarily aware of it's own metaphysical nature and mythic role?

Sennacherib. After the, however brief, contact with Mechanon's Mark XII Computational Unit, Sennacherib had been plotting the death of Dr D. The orbital cannon was meant to be just a bargaining chip or failsafe measure but the bad Doctor gave Sennacherib the keys.

I ate too many beans on vacation.......sorry.

I think it was Cassandra and all these ideas she's throwing out is just for misdirection.

You don't think that tornado just happened on its own' date=' do you?[/quote']

Would you all please quit? I would appreciate it if you would cease being disrespectful.

Can't always control thread digressions, Kirby. And a little levity is sometimes a nice change of pace. But it probably is going a bit overboard now.

OTOH I think Boll Weevil's suggestion of Sennacherib is a valid option. That AI runs all of Destroyer's automated facilities, and according to official history Mechanon did try to hack into and "liberate" it from the Doctor's control in 1990. Lingering infection that progressed over time isn't a stretch.

Can't always control thread digressions' date=' Kirby. And a little levity is sometimes a nice change of pace. But it probably is going a bit overboard now.[/quote']Agreed. I feel the pain/annoyance you must have felt when we kept resurrecting your Destroyer/Takofanes thread. Belated apologies if I didn't apologize for it before.

OTOH I think Boll Weevil's suggestion of Sennacherib is a valid option. That AI runs all of Destroyer's automated facilities' date=' and according to official history Mechanon did try to hack into and "liberate" it from the Doctor's control in 1990. Lingering infection that progressed over time isn't a stretch.[/quote']I agree. And I didn't realize I had accidentally clumped him in with the others; it's been edited, now.

Would you all please quit? I would appreciate it if you would cease being disrespectful.

Dude, most of the serious answers you are going to get have already been given up thread. The stupid jokes have kept the thread going long enough for you to get a few more serious answers, otherwise it would have sank down page and disappeared by now.

Steve Long?
No. Read the first sentence of the first post.

Has anyone nominated Foxbat yet?
It was in the first post.

Dude' date=' most of the serious answers you are going to get have already been given up thread. The stupid jokes have kept the thread going long enough for you to get a few more serious answers, otherwise it would have sank down page and disappeared by now.[/quote']"The stupid jokes" keeping the thread "up" are off-topic. Considering there are threads which last response is nearly two weeks old, the "sank down" thought is irrelevant.

From HERO Games Discussion Boards FAQ

Rule One: Respect Others.

I've asked and implied multiple times to please stay on-topic and stop the disrespectful posts. Please create your own thread or find an appropriate one for the jokes. Thank you.

I posted this to another thread, but it's also applicable here:

Officially Prof. Muerte was killed after the Battle of Detroit. Assuming he was still Destroyer's former protege in the history of the current CU, he could work as the agency behind Dr. D's debacle. Who would know better how to turn Destroyer's toys against him, so as to inherit his organization?