How to deal with a multiform pregnancy?

Martin2

A weird question but it has come up in a game I am running.

Well I am not running it at the moment as we have had a GM rota and a new GM has taken over and introduced something I would not normally bring up.

I have a player who is a multiform super hero. She can transform into two forms of dragon. So we have the main character who is a mammalian with slight reptilian features that turns into a large dragon and a small dragon. Both are reptilian with possibly a small amount of mammalian character.

This other GM introduced an elf that could shape change into a dragon (Lyonesse based story)

And when the rest of the group left the player went back to have unsafe sex with the dragon (well it could have been the elf in elf form or dragon form or both as the GM glossed over the particulars:) ).

So we have a shape changer elf / dragon mating with a shape changer human / dragon.

So if you have a player that is possibly pregnant with Multiform how would you deal with it?

Are all forms pregnant therefore all forms can give birth?

Is the main form pregnant and has to give birth?

Will the birth be an egg in all forms?

Would you give the child shape changing powers?

I have a good idea what I am going to do.

But the GM also reads these posts and I can show the PC dragon the posts as she is my wife.

So I want lots of ideas to scare the cr*p out of everyone involved.

Thanks for your input.

:)

Re: How to deal with a multiform pregnancy?

The rules state: "The change worked upon the character’s body by Multiform is as complete as the character wants it to be. If desired, it can change his fingerprints, DNA, scent, voice, or any other aspect of his physical form — or all those things could remain the same from form to form." also "When a character shifts forms, the STUN and BODY damage he’s taken and the END he’s used do not disappear — they carry over to the next form. For this reason, shifting from a form with lots of BODY to a form with few BODY is dangerous, possibly even fatal."

This seems to say that the pregnancy could (or even should) be carried through from one Multiform to another. But, like all things in Champions, it's your choice as there are enough contradictions in the rules to support another track.

Personally, I'd go with them all being pregnant and calculate the total gestation period based on the time spent in each form.

Note: I don't mean to imply that the pregnancy is a "wound". ;)

What form were they in during the intercourse? I'm presuming they were in dragon form.

Now, if you're looking for 'seriously scary crap', then I'd say that yes, 'she' is pregnant - with a dragonic child or children. However, while she may change forms, the child(ren) do not - which means that the developing egg(s) are always going to be the same size, no matter which bodily form she takes. As the time from insemination to egg-laying approaches, the character cannot shapechange into the humanoid form, lest she endanger the eggs - or, just as bad, herself. And as it gets very near, she can't even change into the 'small dragon' form, for the same reasons. Once the eggs are out, of course, everything's back to normal - unless it's decided that dragons need to 'sit' on their eggs to keep them at a very particular temperature, and thus the male has to do it as well ... or perhaps the male dragon is the one that has the right body-temperature, and has by default some sort of quasi-marsupial pouch to keep them at just the right temperature.

Which means that while she's producing the eggs, she can't go out adventuring ... and once the eggs are out, he can't go out adventuring.

As always the answer to that question is in the nitty gritty of the Special Effects of the Multiform. Assuming that the body is actually changing shape and not like the Captain MarVell thing of body switching while still sharing a consciousness.

Then yeah I would assume that the embryo(s) stay with the person shapeshifting. Depending on how rough changing shape is on the potential mother, it could be VERY bad for any natural birth embryo(s) in the mother.

If she's just carrying eggs, it may not be as bad. Though if the eggs are really big (ie bigger than an ostridge and more than one inside) it could be really bad to be in Humanoid form. Also keep in mind animals that lay hard shell eggs(ie Birds and Dinosaurs) their females have an extra bone that supplies the Calcium used to create the shell of the eggs. So being in humanoid form while developing hard shelled eggs could cause a form of osteoporosis which would cause bones to become porous and brittle. On the positive side if she's producing hard shelled eggs, then her time to lay them will be much shorter than a pregnancy. Though someone will have to keep their temperature correct if the occupants are to survive to hatching. Which might not be too bad in a modern setting where you can buy egg incubators.

It might be fun to have a bunch of inquisitive baby dragons running around.

As to what abilities that the babies might have that should be up to the players and GM to talk about. I would say that they should have the default abilities of whatever form they are born into. It would be really handy to have offspring that could turn into a human(oid) so they could at least attend school. It might be interesting to have some that turn into a hybrid Dragon/Humanoid form (ala Dragonkin from D&D 4th ed) and perhaps one that can turn into a full Human/Elf.

It would also be amusing to have the babies have Iconic Draconic powers albeit in cute forms. ie Breath Weapon that is a puff of fire or a puff of smoke. Minor Magical powers like telekinesis, or other "cantrip" level abilities. Short hop flight and gliding. All things that would drive a new mother and father crazy trying to keep up with the kids. You could be kind and have the kids inherit dragon sleep, which means that they are VERY active during their daytime, but sleep soundly through the night (usually).

Oh and remember young beings are inquisitive, trusting, and have no concept of consequences or even that they can be hurt. So think Kittens + Toddler for personality, and have fun!

I figure the shape-changing is magical? Then it's really "whatever you like". :)

But if you want a quick adventure idea the prospective mother might need some new magic to carry the pregnancy, and have to find a person who knows the spell/can cast the spell/has the components. And of course there's a time limit on the quest...

I've had a couple of backstories with magical shifters, and in all cases I've had the unborn child change along with the mother (of course, it wouldn't have been much backstory if the future PC had died!). In the one with a mutant shifter she could use her powers to make the kid change along with herself when she changed.

There are so many ways you can go with this. So first you have to ask yourself a few questions:

1. What is the "source" of the shapeshifing power in each "parent"

2. Does the mother have any way of KNOWING what the answers will be (ie is this something that has happened before?)

3. And, on a !!!!!******HIGHLY SUPER EXCLAMATION POINTED WARNING THAT SHOULD NOT BE IGNORED******!!!! how do the players feel about sensitive subjects in the campaign.

1 and 2 have been addressed above, but I want to point out a special mention on 3. Be careful, I mean VERY careful about introducing something like this into a campaign. You can easily loose players, not just to general squick factor, but to potential debates over topics such as unwanted pregnancy, abortion, and infant mortality. Before you even THINK about adding this into a campaign you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to check with all your players and ensure they are willing and able to deal with these topics in a gaming setting.

3. And' date=' on a !!!!!******HIGHLY SUPER EXCLAMATION POINTED WARNING THAT SHOULD NOT BE IGNORED******!!!! how do the players feel about sensitive subjects in the campaign.[/b']

1 and 2 have been addressed above, but I want to point out a special mention on 3. Be careful, I mean VERY careful about introducing something like this into a campaign. You can easily lose players, not just to general squick factor, but to potential debates over topics such as unwanted pregnancy, abortion, and infant mortality. Before you even THINK about adding this into a campaign you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to check with all your players and ensure they are willing and able to deal with these topics in a gaming setting.

I thought about this a bit while I was posting my bit. The GM should really really make sure that everyone at the table is comfortable or at least neutral about this plotline. This is one of those plotlines that if not handled with care can turn off many players esp women players. I assumed that the potentially pregnant character's player was on board with this plotline or was at least not against it.

It wouldn't be the first time on'es ability to shapeshift was limited by the fact of being pregnant

(don't ask me to cite)

I know at least one or two Urban Fantasy series where Werewolf women have a hard time carrying children to term due to the stresses of shapeshifting causing miscarriages.

Well, you could go the "Rumiko Takahashi" method, which is "I haven't thought about it, I find the thought disterbing, and I would never impliment it, and YOU shoulden't think about it eather." (The responce, paraphrased, was to a fan's question about what would happen if Girl-Type Ranma got pregnet, then turned into Guy-Type Ranma).

Othoe it is to late for it, it sorta reminds me of the plot of the hentai anime "An Elvin Bride", where an elf girl and a human knight get maried but can't concumate till he goes to quest for the ulitimate lubicant. Never seen it myself thoe. She might not acualy be pregnet because of compatability problems (even between difrent types of dragons).

Thank you everyone for your comments.

There has been some good rule interpretation.

Some good scientific interpretation (I am a scientist myself so always like some science backing up my super powers).

And some good icky comments.

And I hope anyone else who stumbles upon this problem may find this thread useful.

But I have decided that this probably a can of worms I should not open right at this moment.

Well what is the probability of a elf / dragon being sexually compatible with a human / dragon?

It would never happen in a comic book would it?????

;)

In some comics' date=' it WOULD NEVER be contemplated. In fanfic/doushoujin it's a running subplot with illustrations of the whole process.[/quote']

Like I said...the Takahashi Answer, which dosen't prevent us from thinking thoes thoughts in the first place.

You may also want to consider that, contrary to the dire warnings about intercourse from your high school sex ed. teacher, unprotected sex does not guarantee a pregnancy. I have personal acquaintences that have been trying for years with no success. And as far as I know, they are the same species and opposing genders. However, if they're going at it like rabbits, and you want to impose a morality tale on your players, then burden them with parenthood.

Well what is the probability of a elf / dragon being sexually compatible with a human / dragon?

Well, it's funny you should mention that, Mr GM but I was talking to a friend who has chatting to a cousin about a conversation she overheard in a pub...

:P

See you Thursday (if hubby hasn't expired from the cold I've given him)

Love,

C x aka Whiplash, aka the person who wields Excalibur and is thus Emprahess!

It would never happen in a comic book would it?????

;)

Depends on how dragons work. For some dragons they are Dragon first and Humanoid form second. While each color of dragon might turn into a different kind of humanoid, that has nothing to do with dragon compatability across Dragon Types.

It might happen in a Comic book if both characters fell in love and the Writer thought that it would make a good story.

You may also want to consider that' date=' contrary to the dire warnings about intercourse from your high school sex ed. teacher, unprotected sex does not guarantee a pregnancy. I have personal acquaintences that have been trying for years with no success. And as far as I know, they are the same species and opposing genders. However, if they're going at it like rabbits, and you want to impose a morality tale on your players, then burden them with parenthood.[/quote']

Pregnancy is something you never want to burden a Character with unless you have full player buy-in. esp if the player is a woman. I don't have the energy to explain why it's bad, but believe me that it can be a very bad think to do to a character and your group of players.

You may also want to consider that' date=' contrary to the dire warnings about intercourse from your high school sex ed. teacher, unprotected sex does not guarantee a pregnancy. I have personal acquaintences that have been trying for years with no success. And as far as I know, they are the same species and opposing genders. However, if they're going at it like rabbits, and you want to impose a morality tale on your players, then burden them with parenthood.[/quote']

And then after trying for months and months to get pregnant first time around (with calls of "its the right time of the month to try dear") my second child was conceived on the very first attempt. So my second son is evidence that it does happen first time around.

We thought it would take months to achieve so the timing was a bit difficult as we were both starting new jobs. So be warned after the first pregnancy it is a lot easier to get pregnant in the months afterwards due to increased fertility. And I also have friends who could only concieved by medical assistance then concieved naturally shortly after wards as well.

So it all depends.

But as noted the pregnanancy in game is not going ahead.