Who Would Win?

Cassandra

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on which version of each character that being being used but in most cases, I'd say Superman hands down. But the more modern version of Superman, who seems to be vastly toned down from his earlier incarnations (especially the Silver Age) might make an interesting exciting fight. Superman's flight would give him a definite edge, IMO.

Depends on which version of each character that being being used but in most cases, I'd say Superman hands down. But the more modern version of Superman, who seems to be vastly toned down from his earlier incarnations (especially the Silver Age) might make an interesting exciting fight. Superman's flight would give him a definite edge, IMO.
What he said, though I confess to being wholly ignorant of what's been done to Supes since about 1990. I also think that Superman has a better head for tactics, which I think Hulk would not be able to overcome with raw strength. But tactics are an iffy thing in comics, wholly dependent upon the writing, which can be execrable. So the smarts part could even get reversed if you have a writer bent on having the smart guy outthink himself, an all-to-common theme.

Superman is more of a speedster-brick. The Hulk is stronger' date=' but not as quick or as bright (again, depending on which version). I think it would end up with Superman taking the Hulk into orbit, and then tossing him into the Sun. It might not kill the Hulk, but it would end the fight.[/quote']

Unless the Hulk had done something truly heinous or was threatening such I think it would be out of character for Superman to resort to something so murderous. Assuming we're talking about an in character fight and not just a No Holds Barred Slugfest between the Hulk and Superman's figurative character sheets.

Of course what would really happen they'd smack each other around, learn the fight had been engineered by some nefarious mastermind then team up to deal with them. :)

They have fought twice in crossovers that I recall with Superman winning both times. In their first meeting Hulk was not strong enough to hurt Superman. Remember that the Hulk can lift in excess of 100 tons while Superman has pushed the planet out of its orbit before. In other words, Marvel and DC use vastly different strength scales.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Hulk_%28Robert_Bruce_Banner%29

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_%28Clark_Kent%29

Who would win?

Batman vs. Captain America

Comic-book versions, too close to call. Both of them are about at the peak of human physical ability, and comparable in HTH fighting skill. Cap's shield more or less balances Bats' utility belt gimmicks. Situational modifiers would likely make a difference (stealth favors Batman, straight fight favors Cap). But in the two confrontations between them I can recall -- during the Amalgam crossover event, and the Avengers/Justice League miniseries -- they were portrayed as virtually equal.

Recent movie versions, no contest. The Dark Knight is an exceptionally skilled and tough but otherwise normal human, while the First Avenger is a true superhuman as well as a very experienced combatant.

They have fought twice in crossovers that I recall with Superman winning both times. In their first meeting Hulk was not strong enough to hurt Superman. Remember that the Hulk can lift in excess of 100 tons while Superman has pushed the planet out of its orbit before. In other words, Marvel and DC use vastly different strength scales.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Hulk_%28Robert_Bruce_Banner%29

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_%28Clark_Kent%29

In their most recent movie incarnations, I don't think Superman is much if any stronger than the Hulk based on their demonstrated feats. He may not even be tactically smarter than the Hulk, and at this stage in his career he certainly isn't a more skillful fighter. But he clearly has a big advantage in speed, and his flight and heat vision are major assets. I'd give it to Superman in the end, but he's gonna be very, very sore afterward.

I think the most recent version of the characters in movies and comics would be be pretty even but with the edge to Superman (speed and mobility). The movie version seem to on about the same "power level" physically. I can't be as certain about the recent comic version as I have largely second and third hand knowledge. But I'd still give the edge to Superman though it could reasonably go either way. The Hulk is insanely difficult to put down for any length of of time without doing extreme things that Superman might be reluctant to do (like throwing him into orbit) and the "The madder I get the stronger I get" ability makes any prolonged battle with the Hulk a risk.

Superman is more of a speedster-brick. The Hulk is stronger' date=' but not as quick or as bright (again, depending on which version). I think it would end up with Superman taking the Hulk into orbit, and then tossing him into the Sun. It might not kill the Hulk, but it would end the fight.[/quote']

Unless the Hulk had done something truly heinous or was threatening such I think it would be out of character for Superman to resort to something so murderous. Assuming we're talking about an in character fight and not just a No Holds Barred Slugfest between the Hulk and Superman's figurative character sheets.

Of course what would really happen they'd smack each other around, learn the fight had been engineered by some nefarious mastermind then team up to deal with them. :)

Yeah you're right, I wasn't taking Supe's good nature into account.

I think the most recent version of the characters in movies and comics would be be pretty even but with the edge to Superman (speed and mobility). The movie version seem to on about the same "power level" physically. I can't be as certain about the recent comic version as I have largely second and third hand knowledge. But I'd still give the edge to Superman though it could reasonably go either way. The Hulk is insanely difficult to put down for any length of of time without doing extreme things that Superman might be reluctant to do (like throwing him into orbit) and the "The madder I get the stronger I get" ability makes any prolonged battle with the Hulk a risk.
My understanding is that the "New 52" version of Superman is back to planet-moving strength.

Superman or Hulk?

One of the most defining traits of Superman is that "he is as strong as the writer needs". The source of his power is the Yellow Sun and the more light he absorbs, the stronger he get's. He can get really strong by bathing in the Sun (literally).

This "Deathmatch between Superman and Sun Goku" lists his abilities quite well. Goku lost, simply because Superman has no defined limits:

The same thing somewhat applies to the Hulk. In Wolrd War Hulk a smart hulk literally batteled the entire world of Superheroes and won.

Afaik hulks powersources was some form of Cosmic energy (it's the same source he get's his extra mass from). So "the madder he get's, the stronger he get's" has literally no upper limit.

So we have "Character 1, who is as strong as the writers needs demand" and "Character 2, who is as strong as the writers needs demand". So in 100% of the cases it will depend what the needs of the writer are.

Asuming they were both written up as equal points characters?

Hulk is a one trick Brick - he puts all his points into having immense strenght and durability, with some leaping for movement. "Brick tricks" is the closest he ever get's to variety.

Superman (like Thor) is a lot more Multi-purpose. He has Flight, Two Ranged Attacks, Sense Powers, ability to survive in space and more. He compensates for it with his Kryptonite weakness/red Sun Weakness/Sun Dependance but he has still (too) many powers. He would propably loose the pure STR vs STR contest every time, so he would have to use better tactics and his secondary abilities.

Re: Batman vs. Captain America - depends on the particulars. How much do they know about each other? They are well briefed on notable combatants in their own worlds. If they don't know about each other, a shield ricochet to the back of Batman's head is a nasty surprise, Cap for the win. Captain America has the edge for physique. Batman has more toys - an anesthetic gas bomb takes the starch out of Cap's shorts, and does the Batmobile figure in? If they do know each other's capacities, Batman knows that Cap's Kevlar/titanium armor is resistant to electrical shock, including Bat's body taser. Batman has defeated Superman, who is faster and stronger than Cap, obviously. Batman is more practiced with deception. Ninja vs. Spartan. Spartan wins fair fight, Ninja wins otherwise.

Who would win?

Batman vs. Captain America

The most of his Batman Strenght comes from his ability to adapt to an opponent. Similar to teh deathmatch between Superman and Son Goku I linked, there is one between Batman and Marvels adapting gadget Martial Artist, Spiderman:

When Captain America is put together with Ironman in Avengers it was a plotpoint that Ironman isn't good without time to prepare (or the right armor on standby). Captain america on the other hand fought in WW2 so he is always ready, able to adapt to quickly changing situations and enemies.

Without time to prepare: Batman would propably get his butt kicked in hand to hand, but could propably just stealth and disengage at will. His grapler gives him superior mobility to Cap.

In a drawn out melee Cap's superior body, his shield and healing factor would propably win.

With time to prepare: Batman would beat Cap like he beat the entire Justice League. It would propably require a multi-part attack, seperating im from his shield and hitting his emotional weakspots combined with hit-and-run, but Batman beat anyone with time to prepare.