Movement. Superheroes slow runners?

Theros

In the Hero System books movement that basic human runs is 12m. Is that combat or non-combat movement? I will assume that it is combat movement. During non combat movement SPD 2 basic character can move 48m in 12 seconds (which is one turn). Basic human (in real world) can run (sprint) 100m in 14seconds or so. Almost double of movement that is mentioned in book. What is general idea behind that 12m?

In the Hero System books movement that basic human runs is 12m. Is that combat or non-combat movement? I will assume that it is combat movement. During non combat movement SPD 2 basic character can move 48m in 12 seconds (which is one turn). Basic human (in real world) can run (sprint) 100m in 14seconds or so. Almost double of movement that is mentioned in book. What is general idea behind that 12m?

12m of movement is Combat movement. so 24m Non Combat x2 spd.

The General idea is using a 2m Hex grid that a bog standard normal would move 6 hexes a phase (3 hexes with an attack). That movement rate goes up quickly with a spd of 3 or 4. Also buying up basic running to 20m helps (10 hexes). That doesn't even take into account that you can go abover NCM at 2x cost. So a character that is built with NCM can go even higher if they have the points.

Normal movement rates are for a sustained long term pace. A 100m sprint pace is a race and not something many can keep up beyond 200m or possibly 400m otherwise the runners pace themselves for the finish.

So, in Hero terms, the shorter races would probably be instances of PUSHING. If a normal can push the full 10 pts. that ups their running to 22m and lets them move 88m in a 12 second turn. Not too far off RL. So sprinters either buy a few points of running or have SPD's of 3 or higher.

8m(16m NC) running and 3 SPD over a long run works out to 9 mph which gives you marathons in just under 3 hrs. Again not far off RL.

Conclusion, Hero gets running right for normals.

I run surprisingly fast when angry or scared. Enough that Kids and Young adults are often very surprised when I catch them. Game Mechanics vs Realism is the real question here thought. After 20+years of play testing and 6 Editions I would it is about Game Balance. Just my two cents. QM P.S.: Don't forget Non-Combat Movement and Multipliers.

The maximum speed for a human being with Normal Characteristics Maxima is 30 mph. This is Running 10", 2x NCM, with a 4 SPD.
That depends on the nature of the campaign. If one character out of the lot has NCM in a supers campaign, then he may not need GM's permission. Like Tony Stark who gets stat bonuses from his armor.

We should also consider the difference between tactical movement used in combat situations, and strategic movement used to get from place to place.

A hero (or villain) doesn't need to move hundreds of miles an hour when their in a fistfight, but that ability would be handy if they wanted to save the day/get away from the police.

As other have noted those are only the starting values and they are for sustained movement.

Also technically the 10 Characteristcs/12m running values are only starting values for Player/Important Characters. The average human might have less.

Most "fastest human" figures use sprinters. Wich is about as missleading as it goes. To simulate Sprinting in Hero terms you propably have to use Pushing or limited Running (propably lots of extra End and Required Roll's). Maybe it is even a Skill Roll more then comparign movement rates.

Regarding longterm movement, two other figures come into focus: Recovery and optional Long Term Endurance (6E2 132)

It isn't so much how fast you can run, but how fast running you can sustain.

Furthermore to answer the post title:

The most common figure for Superhuman SPD is 5 (Speeders are higher, bricks might be lower). That makes them 2.5 times faster then a normal human (in thier world) wich is quite fast. Some have thought about selling back Running as SPD increases, but that has the issue that how far they can move in thier turn goes down.

There are also optional rules for Segmented Movement (movement unrelated to turns and SPD) in one of the APG's.

Who exactly sprints 100 m in 14 sec? Athletes? Average people off the street?

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedaries?

Who exactly sprints 100 m in 14 sec? Athletes? Average people off the street?

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedaries?

It's a little in-between. I couldn't do a 100 m in 14 sec now, but I suspect that I could have in high school. A hundred meters in 14 seconds is pathetically slow by the standards of track and field athletes, but for most of us it is fast. The comments about pushing are probably on the money since most people would quite winded afterwards.