First Power Manifestation Casualties?

L. Marcus

My brother, being a little morbid, asked me today: "How many new parahumans (or whatevs) get themselves killed when their powers first show themselves? Like, take a guy that has superleap, and unwittingly jumps 200 meters straight up, panics, and lands on his head."

Has anyone thought about this, or should I tell my bro to stay in therapy?

Probably depends on the level of "realism" you want in your game, and what the tone is meant to be. If superpowers were real, it would probably happen a lot, and it may also happen quite a bit in a grim-outlook sort of world. But not so much in a four-color sort of world.  "Superhero physics" would probably be more likely to win out in those cases...  :)

The Marvel Encyclopedia mentions that super humans have natural defenses that allow them to use there power effective.  Sub-Mariner can survive the intense cold and high pressure of the oceans, as well as breathe underwater.  His vision sees into the UV range, which is very effective underwater as well.

Technically Tony Stark should have ended up in the hospital after his first attempt to fly, in the movie anyway.

Technically, Tony Stark should have died a number of times. Comics (and comic-based movies) tend to treat armor as if it made you tougher overall, instead of simply being a hard coating around the soft, squishy candy center. I don't care how tough the Iron Man armor is--if you fall twenty stories and hit the ground while wearing it, it is still going to kill you as inertia splatters what's left of you all over the inside of the undamaged armor.

But I agree that the answer to the original question is: it depends on the level of realism you're going for. At one end, you've got classic comics, where pretty much nobody dies from gaining their powers. At the other end, you have the Wild Card virus, which rewrites your DNA if it manifests. Ninety (that's 90) percent of the time, this results in the subject dying horribly in the initial manifestation (usually brought on by an accident or some othe severe stress, in a nod to the comics). Of the survivors, 9 out of 10 will survive, but be physically (and possibly mentally) twisted, with all kinds of physical limitations, distinctive appearance, and possibly susceptibilities or vulnerabilities. They _might_ have some kind of power. Only one percent of Wild Card subjects will gain actual powers without any unfortunate physical mutations, and even then their powers can vary from laughably limited to awe-inspiring.

My brother, being a little morbid, asked me today: "How many new parahumans (or whatevs) get themselves killed when their powers first show themselves? Like, take a guy that has superleap, and unwittingly jumps 200 meters straight up, panics, and lands on his head."

Has anyone thought about this, or should I tell my bro to stay in therapy?

It really depends on the game world. There's a Dark campaign for Mutants and Masterminds where people do have power emergences that kill people.

Though Usually Superleap Person has other powers that make it possible to Superleap without killing themselves. Fire Person has powers that make them immune to fire,

Also it's not very heroic to hurt yourself with your new powers by accident (on Purpose saving someone is Heroic).

Technically, Tony Stark should have died a number of times. Comics (and comic-based movies) tend to treat armor as if it made you tougher overall, instead of simply being a hard coating around the soft, squishy candy center. I don't care how tough the Iron Man armor is--if you fall twenty stories and hit the ground while wearing it, it is still going to kill you as inertia splatters what's left of you all over the inside of the undamaged armor.

For Stark, I just assume that the Repulser Tech also gives him the equivalent of Antigrav or at least counters Inertia inside the armor. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to withstand a punch from Thor or The Hulk without major internal injuries. (I think that Stan Lee would give me a No-Prize for this explanation)