In other news...

tkdguy

A warrant officer is an officer, and not a commissioned officer, but I  have never heard them referred to as "NCO." They are not enlisted. They occupy a third category falling between the seniormost enlisted ranks and juniormost commissioned ranks.

One of the things I wonder about - did anyone point out to those who agitated for and voted for this bill that if they make it legal for a, for example, Christian to refuse to sell their goods and services to someone based on their own beliefs, it would also be legal if that same Christian finds himself refused service based on someone else's beliefs?

Lucius Alexander

I could refuse to sell a palindromedary to a Christian, but then again, how many Christians want a palindromedary?

They think it will never happen. 

An excellent opinion article on the Indiana religious exemption law.  It gave a lot of history on the subject that I didn't know

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0331-goldberg-indiana-religion-law-20150331-column.html

I'm not sure I'd call it excellent, because it skates over the whole reason that this law has been controversial, where the federal law mentioned (and the 19 other state religious freedom laws) were not. And that is because the federal law (and the other state laws, as I understand it) specifically deal with restricting how the *government* may restrict issues of religious freedom claimed by citizens. The Indiana law, in contrast, adds a section specifically dealing with how *businesses* may claim religious protection for their actions and also because it's vague about exactly when this actually applies (see, for example: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2015/03/31/is-the-controversial-indiana-law-the-same-as-a-law-backed-by-obama/).

As pointed out by multiple writers, this means the federal law would not protect (for example) a business operated by a klansman if they felt that serving black customers infringed their sincere religious belief that blacks are tainted by the curse of Ham - but that the Indiana law potentially, at least, would. The same issues would apply to gays. So yeah, I can see where the fuss is coming from.

Cheers, Mark

That's...

Well, they did it voluntarily, they are closing temporarily...I'm thinking (at least the article makes me think) that they are waiting for it to blow over and using it as an attempt to "Chick-Fil-A" some business/support.

Edit: And Gosh How quickly did "Not provide service to Gay People" become the effect of the law? I mean who saw that coming? 

And I think it's brave of the owner's father to come out and say he's attracted to men, but chose to be heterosexual; he really decided to take the hard road. 

And I think it's brave of the owner's father to come out and say he's attracted to men, but chose to be heterosexual; he really decided to take the hard road.

I know right? Life would be soooo much easier if we chose to be gay. I mean, who doesn't like to be beaten to death for no reason?

Edit: And Gosh How quickly did "Not provide service to Gay People" become the effect of the law? I mean who saw that coming? 

That's not what she said. From the article:

"Early Wednesday, one of the shop's owners Crystal O'Connor said she would refuse to cater a same-sex wedding as the shop was a "Christian establishment.""

She didn't say if they come in they will be refused service. She said she would not participate (even by being paid to be there) at a same-sex wedding. That's a contract job and not part of her normal business. That's her freedom of association. As a business owner, it should be her right to reserve the right to refuse contract service to anyone for any reason. And likewise the person requesting her service should simply bow out when it becomes stated that the service provider does not want to be involved.

It's also worth noting this lady was "ambushed" by a journalist. She didn't release a press statement. She was in her shop, someone came in, and asked a question. She answered.

Let's say there's a Muslim photographer in my town, and he's the absolute best around. Let's say that I want to hire him for my son's birthday party. I want him to come and take pictures of everyone and everything. Oh, and as part of the celebration, all the friends are bringing their dogs. I promised every parent a picture of their child with their dog. Oh, and we're serving pulled-pork sandwiches. The photographer has to take pictures of us eating. And some of the dads will be drinking beer. I want those pictures taken too.

When I explain the party to him, he says, "Oh, no. In Islam dogs are unclean, we don't eat pork, and we don't drink beer. I would be very uncomfortable in such a setting and could not take good pictures. But I know a great guy who wouldn't be offended at all. Here's his card."

At this point, I have two choices: 1) Sue him for not accepting my business. 2) Thank him, walk away, and call the name on the card he just gave me.

What's the adult thing to do?

Perhaps. I did say, "Not provide service." of which Catering is. The article is only a few paragraphs long. The bulk of the ill-will comes from the owner's father, rather than herself. And I don't know the situation of her conversation with the reporter so an ambush is possible. 

But I notice the Muslim in your example is more mature than the Father in the article. Good on him. 

The photographer's religion says that he should not take part in the activity in any way. He refuses. If it makes you feel better, have it be a lesbian couple go to the photographer for the wedding. He refuses based on his religious belief that their marriage is wrong. Should they sue or be adults and go elsewhere?