In other news...

tkdguy

This might go in the Star Hero space news thread, but there's way too many possibilities here ....

Pyramid-shaped boulder found on comet by Rosetta spacecraft

European Space Agency spacecraft Rosetta has spotted a pyramid-shaped boulder on the surface of the comet it plans to land a probe on next month. The boulder, which is 82 feet, or 25 meters, tall on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, has been dubbed Cheops after the largest pyramid in Giza, Egypt. "The surface of Cheops seems to be very craggy and irregular. Especially intriguing are small patches on the boulder's surface displaying the same brightness and texture as the underground," said Rosetta scientist Holger Sierks.

I think you Stargate fans can go knock yourselves out with that one.

Interesting, but I wouldn't make any investment based it. Let's see what she accomplishes with bullets from a couple hundred sources, and see her accuracy claims checked.

I noticed this story linked from it. http://phys.org/news/2014-07-bullets-suitability-alternatives.html#inlRlv

Unsurprisingly, it has no commentary on relative costs of such ammo. True, it is a German article about their specific hunting conditions, but IMO MOST lead ammo bans and proposals in the US have much more to do with harassing shooters and making their hobbies unaffordable or inconvenient. Most of the time, AFAIK iirc, the cheapest lead free bulles run 30% more expensive than lead, and the kind of monolithic copper ones mentioned in the article are usually, though not always twice the cost or more. I have seen them priced comparably on occasion, but the methods of manufacture pretty much guarantee that the cannot be produced in large enough quantities to fill the market demands.

Seattle Times? Now he has me worried about my local range . . .

Of the 10 commercial ranges inspected in Washington, nine had at least one lead violation.

Yikes! Time for a new hobby. Maybe archery . . .

A patron of Champion Arms shooting range in Kent takes aim at a target. State inspectors have visited the range four times since 2006 and issued 44 violations.

Scroll down, and . . . here's my local range! I guess the ammo shortage has an up side, since I haven't been able to shoot much the last few years.

Ft. Ord probably had mostly outdoor ranges. Plenty of ventilation. Does make you wonder if they cleaned up the lead from various ranges, though.

Ft. Ord probably had mostly outdoor ranges. Plenty of ventilation. Does make you wonder if they cleaned up the lead from various ranges, though.

Back when we lived in Seaside in 1966-7 kids were sneaking in and coming back with a whole slew of stuff. I heard of one guy (a Boy Scout, naturally) who had an unexploded 81mm mortar round that he was using as a pup tent pole. Back then the MPs had a team that would go to local schools and do demonstrations, blowing up pieces of plywood (on which a student's hand had been traced in magic marker) with M80's in the schoolyard, and do no-questions-asked pickup of unexploded ammo.