In other news...

tkdguy

Well, things are getting interesting here on the political front. Due to the new government being unable to get their budget through the Riksdag, we'll probably have extraordinary elections (in March) for the first time since the Fifties (and just for the second time ever.) Since this will be the third election in under a year, the smaller parties will be strained economically. What this would do for the make-up of parliament ... is best unspeculated in.

Could it be that bankrupting the small parties is actually the intent?

No - since it was one of the medium-small parties that created the problem. Very short and simple version is that there's a relatively new rightwing party that has opposition to immigration as their major focus. It has about 13% of the vote, but since the parliament is split between an alliance of centre-right parties, and an alliance of centre-left parties (who have a small advantage in numbers, but not enough to have over 50%), that's just enough to enable them to block either side from passing any laws, unless the two sides agree to vote together.

Basically, the spoiler party is going all tea party on both sides saying "give us what we want, or we'll paralyse the goverment". So ... new elections.

Cheers, Mark

No - since it was one of the medium-small parties that created the problem. Very short and simple version is that there's a relatively new right-wing party that has opposition to immigration as their major focus. It has about 13% of the vote, but since the parliament is split between an alliance of center-right parties, and an alliance of center-left parties (who have a small advantage in numbers, but not enough to have over 50%), that's just enough to enable them to block either side from passing any laws, unless the two sides agree to vote together.

Basically, the spoiler party is going all tea party on both sides saying "give us what we want, or we'll paralyze the government". So ... new elections.

Cheers, Mark

Unsurprisingly, Mark has the gist of it. For my part, I'd be happiest with cross-block co-operation -- but as it stands now, the parties' leaderships involved have painted themselves into rhetorical corners.

As much as I detest fracking for what it does to aquifers, it's fascinating to see the geoeconomic effects of the boom. Thanks largely to this development, the price of oil is crashing--the House of Saud is having to keep up production to maintain market share, and might actually increase production in order to price shale oil out of the market. (Shale is not that cheap to extract and it's possible that all the cost effective supply will be exhausted within a few years.) Meanwhile the crashing prices along with global sanctions and financial idiocy are destroying the ruble and the Russian economy along with it.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel speaks out against net neutrality

Her arguments were actually interesting.  Namely, that some cool future tech, like telemedicine and driverless cars, needed priority over cat videos. I don't know if she persuaded me, and I do still fear the slippery slope, but the argument was not without merit.

Nope. She's not even making me budge on my position. Setting up a tier system and hoping for no abuse is naive at best. I don't claim to know European priorities, but here in America, better stream for pay would go to things like commercials and cutting rivals who couldn't keep up with payments off. It would become legalized extortion by the providers.

You want to really speed up the internet all around? Encourage better and quicker infrastructure with faster connection (Something that many companies in the US ALSO fight tooth and nail)

On another topic...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/video-grieving-dad-killed-daughter-throws-chair-judge-article-1.2020028

I hope other is some explanation for this ruling other than three people killed by a reckless driver is only a misdemeanor!

Even the prosecutor's appeal is only for what, 18 months?

Please someone tell me there were a lot of extenuating cir instances, or that the Judge is being g removed from her position!

If it had been my son, I fear I might do something un Christlike.