Names names names...I am beginning to hate names.

Enforcer84

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name-developing strategy (developed due to my umpteen thousand alts on City of Heroes) is basically to do Google searches on topics related to the character's powers and see if I can use, modify, or combine them to make a name.  For a character with solar powers, I would search physics terms, astronomy terms, astrophysics terms, and sun gods/solar mythology.

Also, don't forget prefixes like Captain, Mister, Ms., Miss, Commander, etc. and suffixes like Man, Woman, Boy, Girl (or, if you read Legion of Superheroes, Lad and Lass).

A few terms that come up in the searches include Apogee, Surge, Sunburst, Starshine (a name I use for a light-based hero of my own), Celestial, Continuum, Corona, Eclipse, Flux, Equinox, Flare, Halo, Spectrum, Solar, Sunrise, Sunburst, Pulsar.  

I like alliteration for combination names, so Captain Continuum, Celestial Commander, etc. work for me.

• 2 months later...

Just stumbeled over this one:

"4 Bizzare Rules for naming Fictional Characters".

1. Name them after Jesus.

Either a varaint of "shepherd"

Or something with the initials J.C.

Also works for villaisn wich become a "Anti Jesus".

2. Name after a weapon.

Swords are noble and heroic

"Hammers" are villanious dickheads. Also includes the name "Dick"

"Blades" are either pure evil or anti-heroic

3. Titels reveal good or bad.

Doctors are either bad or never mention thier Title.

Captains are usually good.

4. Evil characters are named straight up "Evil".

Specifically a wordplay on Mal, from latin "malice" (bad/evil).

Also see

Belenos
alias Beli Mawr
Celtic God of the Sun

Belenos, later known as Beli Mawr (the Great), was the Celtic God of the Sun, representing the curative powers of the Sun’s heat. His festival of Beltane, when bonfires were lit to welcome in the Summer and encourage the Sun’s warmth, was held on May 1st, and is remembered in today's May Day festivities. His symbols were the horse (as shown, for example, by the clay horse figurine offerings at Belenos’ Sainte-Sabine shrine in Burgundy), and also the Wheel (as illustrated on the famous Gundestrup Cauldron). Perhaps, like Apollo, whom he became identified with, Belenos was thought to ride the Sun across the sky in a horse-drawn chariot. Indeed, a Celtic model horse and wagon, carrying a gilded sun-disc, has been found at Trundholm in Denmark. Sometimes he is illustrated riding a single horse, throwing thunder-bolts (hence an occasional identification with Jupiter) and using his symbolic radiating wheel as a shield, as he tramples the chthonic forces of a snake-limbed giant. This personification is similar to the classic depiction of the Archangel St. Michael defeating the Devil. Sacred pagan hills associated with Belenos, are thought to have had their dedications transferred to this saint (or sometimes St. George) by the early Christians. Well known examples include St. Michael’s Mount (Cornwall) and the churches of St. Michael on Brent Tor (Devon), and Burrow Mump andGlastonbury Tor (Somerset): All on a supposed ley line that faces the Rising Sun at Beltane. He may also have been worshipped on Dragon Hillbelow the great Uffington White Horse in Berkshire. It has been suggested the Welsh form of his name, Beli Mawr, lived on into Arthurian romance as King Pellinore of Listinoire.  - http://www.britannia.com/celtic/gods/beli.html

and 

ARD GREIMME
(Irish, Scottish) His name means "high power" or "High sun". He is the father of the famed warrioress sisters Aife and Scathach, and probably once a sun God in his own right.