Names names names...I am beginning to hate names.

Enforcer84

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some folks might be misinterpreting the request.  I believe Enforcer84 is looking for a new name for a type of Superman pastiche character, NOT a Sun-Boy or Dr. Light pastiche.

"Flying Brick" is the most generic superhero concept this side of "He fights with nothing but two trusty fists and a firm conviction in the rightness of his cause" which is why the Superman pastiche in The Authority was named Apollo.  The options are to name the character after the only non-generic thing in the description (Apollo, Daystar, Solar Max) or to name him after his very genericness (Superman, Protector, Legend) or add some more elements to the character to work with.

"Flying Brick" is the most generic superhero concept this side of "He fights with nothing but two trusty fists and a firm conviction in the rightness of his cause" which is why the Superman pastiche in The Authority was named Apollo.  The options are to name the character after the only non-generic thing in the description (Apollo, Daystar, Solar Max) or to name him after his very genericness (Superman, Protector, Legend) or add some more elements to the character to work with.

The name "Superman" was not created by Clark/Kal-EL.  It was given to him by Lois. If Bruce Wayne had never used a bat motif in his costume its entirely possible that he could have been named "The Fists of Conviction" by the press. How the character is named (by himself or by others) is just as important.

I still like "Beacon" since it hits on both the strongman & light motifs.

This is great guys, I'm liking the Beacon as well.

He would probably avoid the "Superman" and the riffs off of that as his name is one he's choosing and he would find being called "Superior-man" rather embarrassing.

I like the mythology but sadly Hyperion is taken (in setting) and he's really not even Greek - if he went more Celtic or Norse or more "White guy" he's looking at names he finds less impressive and more silly Lugh and Odur being right out.

Protector, Guardian, etc would be more like something he gave himself. His powers are artificial - but he's not 100% sure where (or why) he got them. He was injured during a super battle and spent a few years in a coma, he has some recollection of a facility with a particular symbol that he'd never seen before. 

When he finally recovered he was in his local hospital. His bills had been paid even though he lost his job - having been checked out of the hospital and moved his employer simply couldn't find him. So they replaced him.

He's missing about a year of his life. He discovered his powers after returning home (his rent had been paid as well) 

I like Solarman and Hyperion.

If you're leaning towards Guardian, how about Guardian Angel?  That could be a name given him by the press--someone he saves toalks to a reporter calling him his "guardian angel"  and the paper runs with it.

Hope that helps.

Or, some reporter might riff on early reports of a "guardian angel" and start calling him "Archangel."

This is great guys, I'm liking the Beacon as well.

He would probably avoid the "Superman" and the riffs off of that as his name is one he's choosing and he would find being called "Superior-man" rather embarrassing.

I like the mythology but sadly Hyperion is taken (in setting) and he's really not even Greek - if he went more Celtic or Norse or more "White guy" he's looking at names he finds less impressive and more silly Lugh and Odur being right out.

Protector, Guardian, etc would be more like something he gave himself. His powers are artificial - but he's not 100% sure where (or why) he got them. He was injured during a super battle and spent a few years in a coma, he has some recollection of a facility with a particular symbol that he'd never seen before. 

When he finally recovered he was in his local hospital. His bills had been paid even though he lost his job - having been checked out of the hospital and moved his employer simply couldn't find him. So they replaced him.

He's missing about a year of his life. He discovered his powers after returning home (his rent had been paid as well) 

Important aspects:

White (he is both white and a important part of his past are a "blank", plus the suns light is often called "white light"):

albus - White, pale, clear, bright

albineus - White

albidus - whitish, White

albulus - whitish, White

albamentum - white

albumentum - white

albens - White, light, bleached, pale, pallid, bright

candidus - White, bright, radiant, candid, fair, clear

cereus - wax, waxen, wax-coloured, wax-colored, White, like wax

candicens - White, approaching white

candidum - White

candor - whiteness, brightness, brilliance, candor, radiance, White

canitia - White, grey, Gray, old age

increto - white, whitewash, chalk

niveus - White, snowy, of snow, snow-white

As expected the wordcores for Albinism and Candle can be found in white.

Artificial - his powers have been created/given/man made:

facticius - artificial, man-made

artificiosus - artistic, artificial, accomplished, ingenious, skilful, Skillful

fabrilis - artificial, artificer's

crispulus - crisped, artificial

Amnesia - he is missing a year of this live. But that is already a greek/latin word.

Gift - he was given his powers free of charge/like a gift:

donum - donation, GIFT, present, Offering, votive offering to a deity, contribution

munus - berth, function, office, GIFT, present, duty

donatio - donation, GIFT, giving away, presentation, Dole

beneficium - favor, benefit, service, beneficence, kindness, GIFT

moenus - GIFT, service, office, function, duty, charge

dos - dowry, GIFT, endowment, marriage portion, talent, quality

munusculum - GIFT, present

sportula - GIFT, hamper, basket, present, regale, treat

charisma - GIFT, present

carisma - GIFT, present

bonum - good, GIFT, well, Boon, weal, profit

gratuitas - GIFT, favour, favor

largior - grant, give, bestow, lavish, dash, gift

Sun (he has solar powers):

solis
sol
stella
audustio
insolo

Light (his powers are light based):
lux - light, bright, glim, shine, daylight, brightness

lumen - light, glimmer, bright, glim, shine, star

fax - firebrand, Torch, flambeau, Flame, light, fiery meteor

lychnus - light, bright, glim, shine, lamp

lychinus - light, bright, glim, shine, lamp

lucerna - light, lamp, glim, candle-light

ignis - Fire, bonfire, HEAT, Flame, conflagration, light

aura - breeze, air, wind, vaporization, gentle breeze, light

levis - light, slight, fickle, trifling, trivial, unimportant

lucidus - bright, light, lucid, clear, fine, unshadowed

fulgens - light, glary, glaring

candidus - White, bright, radiant, candid, fair, light

With a few changed letters, each of those and combinations of several could be forged into a name.

A character with such a powerful visual image might not be helped by a name that tries to riff on that power and appears instead to be self-aggrandizing. Sometimes contrast and counterpoint is a better path to highlight an image. (Especially if the image is one of humility).

One of my favorite characters took on a life of his own after I'd invented him. I'd wanted to call him Changeling, but the character's motivations became so strongly about helping other people (other mutants) that he just didn't care about his "image". He just called himself ... Martin.

eg.

"Who ... ARE you? Are you some kind of God? Some angel sent here to save us?"

"I'm just a guy, like you, trying to make the world better place. Call me Joe Everyman."