Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

IIRC Carol today no longer has that connection to a "white hole" power source which she did as Binary, but her body is still wired to be able to absorb massive amounts of energy from external sources. That ability was really played up in her appearances in the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes animated series from a few years ago.

Brie Larson has already amassed an impressively diverse resume, so if she gets the role I see no reason to doubt she could pull it off. In general I'm not worried about Marvel casting an appropriate actor. At this point an actor would have to be a fool to turn down a leading role in a Marvel movie; so I'm sure they have plenty of talent to choose from.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they took Rogue's Captain Marvel powers away and they returned to Carol after a long delay, so maybe that caused her to lose the connection.

At this point an actor would have to be a fool to turn down a leading role in a Marvel movie

I agree, and its a resumee enhancer to do a comic book movie at this point, its a genre you can show you do.

I really liked the light-based Captain Marvel in the 80s, is she even around any longer? And what happened to the Binary powers?

For the most part Carol still has them although not at the Binary power levels as she no longer has a connection to a white hole. If Carol can absorb enough energy/power she can regain her former level of power.

Some actors might balk at a multiple-picture commitment that locks them into a role they end up disliking, for a studio they end up clashing with. And pretty much any Marvel character that gets its own movie will involve a multiple-picture commitment.

Which is why I am kind of surprised that Benedict Cumberbatch agreed to sign on as Dr. Strange. Outside of Sherlock, I just don't picture him as the kind of actor that likes to repeat a role. For some reason I think of most Academy Award winners as being similarly disposed (which is why I suspect Jennifer Lawrence secretly regrets signing on as Mystique).

Whoever takes on the role of Carol Danvers has to think of it as a better opportunity than all the forthcoming potential Academy Award winning opportunities it might displace.

Some actors might balk at a multiple-picture commitment that locks them into a role they end up disliking, for a studio they end up clashing with. And pretty much any Marvel character that gets its own movie will involve a multiple-picture commitment.

Which is why I am kind of surprised that Benedict Cumberbatch agreed to sign on as Dr. Strange. Outside of Sherlock, I just don't picture him as the kind of actor that likes to repeat a role. For some reason I think of most Academy Award winners as being similarly disposed (which is why I suspect Jennifer Lawrence secretly regrets signing on as Mystique).

Whoever takes on the role of Carol Danvers has to think of it as a better opportunity than all the forthcoming potential Academy Award winning opportunities it might displace.

Its a choice between taking potential Oscar winning performances and the respect that garners you within the industry, vs choosing a role that will win you potentially millions of fans cementing your popularity within pop culture for decades and beyond.

Tough choice. Fame vs respect.

Its a choice between taking potential Oscar winning performances and the respect that garners you within the industry, vs choosing a role that will win you potentially millions of fans cementing your popularity within pop culture for decades and beyond.

Tough choice. Fame vs respect.

A hard working actor can do 2 to 6 films per year. Nothing prevents BC from taking on more prestigious or challenging roles in between fending off Dormammu and Shuma Gorath.

Considering how many respected and prestigious actors have now done 'superhero' films (Patrick Stewart, Anthony Hopkins, Robert Redford, Ian McKellen, etc) and how many of the movies have become 'critically acclaimed', I'm not sure working in the genre is a 'stain' on your record anymore.

The careers of many of the actors who got in on the ground floor of the MCU -- Downey, Evans, Hemsworth, Hiddleston, Johannson, Pratt -- really took off as a result.

There's another factor to a multi-picture deal of interest to an actor: the opportunity to grow and develop a character through a series of films, to a far greater degree than is possible in just one movie. Look at the difference in Tony Stark as a person between the first Iron Man movie, and the recent Civil War.

I think Chris Evans made a good observation about his own experience in a recent interview for Civil War:

https://youtu.be/P6mKBIKLYxs?t=2m31s

Considering how many respected and prestigious actors have now done 'superhero' films (Patrick Stewart, Anthony Hopkins, Robert Redford, Ian McKellen, etc) and how many of the movies have become 'critically acclaimed', I'm not sure working in the genre is a 'stain' on your record anymore.

A lot of actors avoid genre films because of the potential for type casting that comes with it. I think in todays climate, there is less fear associated with it than there used to be, but long standing stigma can be very hard to break.

Well, stains on one's record are of far lesser consequence to actors who have already had a long and storied career. Those still seeking to prove themselves as "serious" actors are another story. And let's be frank, superhero movies are known throughout the industry as money-winners, not Oscar-winners.

I don't know what Brie Larson thinks of the idea of being the next female superhero in Marvel's (cinematic) stable, but I don't take it as given that she'll see it as the same career-saving/career-making prospect that it was for, say, RDJr./Hugh Jackman.

There's another factor to a multi-picture deal of interest to an actor: the opportunity to grow and develop a character through a series of films, to a far greater degree than is possible in just one movie.

From the sound of it, though, directors and actors have a lot less say in the creative development of the movies and characters than one might think/expect. Marvel reportedly keeps very tight creative reins on these properties.

From the sound of it, though, directors and actors have a lot less say in the creative development of the movies and characters than one might think/expect. Marvel reportedly keeps very tight creative reins on these properties.

That's not entirely bad. Otherwise some longtime background character is now gay for no particular reason, Ultron is fighting two polar bears at the North Pole, and the Avengers are fighting a giant spider at the end of the film.

Unless an actor has some sort of "producer" credit on a project, that's pretty much the standard everywhere, though. Only a few actors have the clout to dictate how a property will be done. But many directors, producers, and writers accept or actively solicit actor input about their characters.

Most actors have input on specific lines, character mannerisms (like Iron Man having dried blue berries on the helicarrier because they couldn't stop RDJ from stashing snacks and just ran with it), and minor aspects of a scene.

But the plot, movie, and many scenes are dictated by Writers and Producers, not Actors or Directors.