CHAMPIONS BEYOND

CHAPTER TEN:
THE STAR*GUARD, PROTECTORS OF THE GALAXY

THE STAR*GUARD ............................ 226 

THE HISTORY OF THE STAR*GUARD.. 226 
THE STAR*GUARD TODAY ................ 231

Organization And Structure ............ 231 
The Sector System........................ 232 
Star*Guard Philosophy, Codes, Traditions, And Procedures ................... 232 
The Star*Guard In Galactic Society . 232

THE STAR*GUARD ON ODRUGAR...... 234 
The Council Of Overseers .............. 234 
OVERSEER SIXTEEN.................... 234 
CONTROL (FULLY FUNCTIONAL) .. 237 
CONTROL (AFTER 2009 ATTACK) 238 
The Citadel Of The Guard .................. 238 
THE GUARDSMEN............................ 239 
Becoming A StarGuard .................. 240 
Specialized StarGuards.................. 241 
STARGUARD ANDRE ALMENA ..... 243 
ENEMIES OF THE STAR*GUARD........ 246 
ASTRON .................................... 246 
MORDACE ................................. 249 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Galactic Champions: Star*Guard  

Star*Guard Gloran, Drugarian 
CONTROL (Quantum Matrix A.I./ Engrams of  Gloran)

Council of Overseers (x27) 
2-N Violet, Az'Arc'A (Sentient Energy Being)   
Hederas, Malvan (Engineer, Gadgeteer, & Inventor) 

Star*Shield, Koh Calidorm, Perseid 

Star*Guard Andre Almena, Terran (Aleph-3, Terran Sector) 
Star*Guard Mordace, Species Unknown 
Star*Guard Glayne, Se'eran 

Star*Guard Brin Rei Tarn, Dendarian 
Star*Marshal ???, Mandaarian (ATRI 13+) 

Star*Guard Mranang'na, Fex 
Star*Marshal Kevru Orz, Zurite (Communications & Control) 
Star*Marshal Rom'Shan, Mon'Dabi (Engineer) 
Star*Marshal X'al, Xenovore (Pilot) 
Star*Marshal Zorma Regi, Catavalan (Medic)

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. The evil Herr Doktor I was referring to was Dr. Destroyer, not Doctor Detroit. Confusingly, Doctor Detroit is in Chicago...and is not a supervillain, but sort of a super-pimp/mobster/Robin Hood sort.

No quarrel.  

I don't think Dr. Destroyer could get either Donna Dixon or Fran Drescher.

UNTIL, PRIMUS, and SAT all have their uses in a Superhero Campaign.

UNTIL is the organization that the heroes would meet if they traveled internationally, or in New York City where UNTIL Headquarters is located.  The organization could at times be an ally when they need the heroes, or an enemy when UNTIL is acting on behest of a foreign country.  For example, a Dictator of a UN member country could frame the heroes for a crime, and have UNTIL go after them.  Because it is a international organization UNTIL would be fragmented, and mired in bureaucracy.  It also would constantly have budgetary concerns that would keep it's equipment relatively low powered and standardized.    

SAT was the first agency dedicated to dealing with superhuman threats created by the U.S. Government.  It was meant as a strike force with little investigative capability.  The Agents would be equipped with the best weapons and armor the Military could provide, making SAT operatives in league with special forces soldiers (Green Beret, Rangers, Marine Force Recon, SEALs, etc.).  A small agency, it's domestic role would have been cut back as PRIMUS came on line.  SAT would be assigned to deal with super powered terrorist and military threats.  SAT armor would be lighter and faster then the PRIMUS Iron Guard, but with far more mobility.   It would have good relations with Patriotic Heroes, and poor relations with Heroes publicly critical of the Government.

PRIMUS is a Civilian Agents run like a military unit.  It would be the best funded of the three, and in theory meant to operate in the United States alone.  However, the capabilities of the Iron Guard, Investigative Agents, and Silver Avengers would give the organization to take on missions overseas in conjunction with SAT.  The fact that PRIMUS head is a General, and SAT's is a Major, would settle any jurisdictional conflicts rather quickly.  PRIMUS based would exist in most U.S. Major Cities, and U.S. Military Bases around the world.  Because PRIMUS would have more civilians recruited from the FBI and CIA, it would be less "Gung Ho" then SAT.  The Investigative Agents who were ex-FBI would expect Heroes to follow the law, while the ex-CIA agents would be far more flexible.  

Just to clarify, SAT (Special American Tactics) isn't part of current official Champions Universe continuity. While it first appeared in the Deathstroke adventure module in the early 1980s, even before PRIMUS debuted in Organization Book II, and received a couple of updates through Fourth Edition HERO, it was completely omitted from the setting's fictional history when the CU was rebooted for Fifth Edition.

Elaborating on Cassandra's fine summation, the books played up that SAT was a much more overtly patriotic organization than PRIMUS, its agents recruited as much if not more for their pro-American attitudes than for their capabilities in the field.

Just to clarify, SAT (Special American Tactics) isn't part of current official Champions Universe continuity. While it first appeared in the Deathstroke adventure module in the early 1980s, even before PRIMUS debuted in Organization Book II, and received a couple of updates through Fourth Edition HERO, it was completely omitted from the setting's fictional history when the CU was rebooted for Fifth Edition.

Elaborating on Cassandra's fine summation, the books played up that SAT was a much more overtly patriotic organization than PRIMUS, its agents recruited as much if not more for their pro-American attitudes than for their capabilities in the field.

Just because they haven't mentioned SAT in the 5th Edition doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Covert operations tend to be secret.

Actually in the 4th Edition it was mentioned that SAT was finally shut down after a team leader joined VIPER.  Col. Brad Barrington, Director of SAT,  founded the World Security Service, a private firm that unknown to him is secretly backed by World League of Crime.

I folded SAT into Primus, with the SAT agents being converted enmasse to "Bronze Avengers" Who used Cybernetics, with a minimal boost from Cyberline. This was a long term cost containment, because Omega Cyberline causes too many wash outs with severe health problems.

I used the old dark champs adventure about a "black op" that tested out a Cyborg super soldier as a super vigilante. (The conversion was thus also a cover up operation)

I used UNTIL quite a bit, but I had all "first world" powers with their own Super Agency as well. National pride, and home town politics demands. :) So if heroes had "problems" with their own Government, then UNTIL became their preferred partner.

For Britan, and Canada I had the Super Agents be part of the National Police, and most heroes were affiliated as well. Never had a game head to Australia though... :(

Beyond the above mention suppliments, SAT was mentioned in a lot of 4ed suppliments (especially Champions Universe and PRIMUS), but never stated out. (By the time the PRIMUS book came out, they were offically 'disbanded', their purpose made obsolete by PRIMUS itself). I prepose rebranding the group as a black ops military group, formed after the Battle of Detroit, and very secret. Annd remember, they are military...they don't arrest supervillians...they shoot to kill.

My Universe has PTAH, the Paranormal Tactical Analysis Headquarters. Players have investigated for years the spurious link between Egyptian religion and this acronym. There is NOTHING there. :)

I used to be a huge fan of UNTIL back in 3rd and 4th edition.

Now, I hate them. And here's why. Recent editions of Until have proven that there's no need to be a superhero. Your starting character is better off as an UNTIL agent. :)

I used to be a huge fan of UNTIL back in 3rd and 4th edition.

Now, I hate them. And here's why. Recent editions of Until have proven that there's no need to be a superhero. Your starting character is better off as an UNTIL agent. :)

Yeah, I've to downgrade "the meat inside" the suits and give UNTIL less supertech than either the heroes or the villains. The United Nations as a whole is pretty underfunded, and corruption in some countries' missions is rife, even with recent honest attempts to clean things up.

PRIMUS & UNTIL are decent examples of two different flavors of super-cop organizations. But I don't really think a campaign needs both of them, so pick whichever one fits your campaign best and run with it.

PRIMUS's place in the government system was much like the CIA's, only PRIMUS could only operate in the US.

The Department of Homeland Security.

A plot point in my last Champions campaign was that PRIMUS had been moved under Homeland Security, losing a good deal of its autonomy (and effectiveness) in the process. I modeled it on the way FEMA was swallowed by DHS post-9/11 and pre-Katrina. It wasn't a major theme, but played out in the background as the Heroes had friends in PRIMUS, but poor relations with the higher-up DHS bureaucrats. Oh yeah, and the DHS Under-Secretary turned out to be a VIPER stooge, but that's another story.