Is there a Champions version of SHIELD?

Echo3Niner

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Steve Roger's indomitable will, sense of honor, and moral fiber, but none of those things make any sense to Tony Stark.

Well, Stark. like Han Solo and Malcom Reynolds before him, puts on a good show of being a complete scoundrel, but when it comes down to the point of the matter, he can be as upright and self-sacrificing as Rogers.  The climax of The Avengers, where he backpacks a nuclear missile through the dimensional portal to strike at the Trade Federation control ship Chitauri command station is one proof of this; the fact that he uses the Iron Man armor to fight for the weak and helpless, rather than just mass-producing the suit and its attendant systems and making himself--at the very least--a dozen times richer than ever, is another proof.

Granted, his proclivity for womanizing rivals those of Howard Hughes and Hugh Hefner, but who says the good guys can't have any fun?

Just my thoughts on the subject--take them as you will.

I think you are shortchanging Stark.

In Iron Man 1, the conflict arises when he stops his company from making weapons after his ordeal in the desert. He then returns to destroy the terrorist camp. 

In Iron Man 2, he is at odds with the government because he will not mass produce the suit for the military. (Kinda silly because I'd be much more worried about the arc reactor tech getting out)

Tony Stark definitely experienced a change of heart as a result of his Iron Man origin, and is truly trying his best to do what he believes to be the right thing. Figuring out what that is has proven to be Tony's greatest challenge, though. Not to mention becoming a better person. Let's be realistic, when you've spent over four decades of your life being a world-class jerk, you can't change to a saint over night. ;)

Steve Rogers is in many ways a very different kind of man, with an upbringing almost the polar opposite of Tony Stark's, which is why the two seem so often at odds. They really don't understand each other. But Steve's vision of right and wrong, and commitment to standing up for what's right, were always fundamental to him. Unlike Iron Man's origin, Captain America's didn't make him different; it just made him more of what he already was.

I see we're only speaking of Iron Man/Tony Stark from the MCU, not comics here.

And, as we prepare for the forthcoming Capt. America 3; Civil War, where Stark will be the "bad guy", I think opinions of him will change drastically.  Of course, I'm basing that on the Comic version of Civil War; since they're going to deal with that in only one film, and I highly doubt it'll end with the death of Capt. America as it did in the comics, it'll be interesting to see how it's handled in the MCU...

If you wanted to be slavish to pop culture, in your Agents of U.N.T.I.L. campaign the PCs are the ragged remnant left after it turned out that VIPER had infiltrated that agency up to the highest levels after UNTIL supposedly wiped it out years ago.  PRIMUS is then a new U.S.-centric organization meant to be a local replacement for UNTIL.

SAT weaponry

The SFG: A rather small gun with specialize bullets to take out any super. Specialize bullets include "Brickbuster" (armor piercing, penatrating), CAB (Corse Altering Bullet, more like a micro rocket, and an excuse for indirect), fragment bullet (area of effect cone, a bullet designed to fragment upon leaving the barrel of the gun, useful for hard to hit targets).

Drones: Like most military theas days, SAT makes use of drone technology, except theas drones are more like robots than 'unmanned aircraft'.

I figured Jonny straightened out, and went to collage after his dad was killed by a supervillian, then Race(?) acted as his "Alfred". Hagi also went to school, and together they operate the Quest Foundation. (And do covert missions for Until, specializing in Aliens).

For big bad Super foes I have UNTIL use giant robots (Justice Machines) the tech has totally caught on, and many, if not most countries have at least a few Justice Machines, locally produced, or purchased. (England, Russia, and China sell the most)

Even Primus lisences the design from England, and makes a USA build version. This has almost replaced the Iron Guard. Justice Machines were originally remote operated, but US, and English models are now remote plus AI driven. They are reputed to have anti Psi (Cyberkinetics) shielding....

The reason England sells so many is miniaturization, English (and USA built) Justice machines are only about 10 feet tall, Russian, and Chinese models are a hair under 20....British models use a "Blaster" (Particle beam weapon) as it's main weapon. Russian use a self loading cannon, and Chinese use a ropcket pod. They all normally have secondaries, including a module that can be swapped out to cutomize for a specific target.

In Iron Man 1, the conflict arises when he stops his company from making weapons after his ordeal in the desert. He then returns to destroy the terrorist camp. 

In Iron Man 2, he is at odds with the government because he will not mass produce the suit for the military. (Kinda silly because I'd be much more worried about the arc reactor tech getting out)

I think we have to remember Senator Stern, and what his real motivation in seizing the Iron Man Armor (See Captain America 2)

Given the events in Captain America 2, I think we have to realize Senator Stern's real motivation for seizing the Iron Man armor.

Jonny (no 'h') doesn't seem like the Dr. type. Maybe his dad, Dr. Benton Quest? :)

The Super Agents HERO supplement from the mid-1980s introduced an ultra-high-tech private security agency, StarGuard International, founded by Dr. J.A. Quest, who invented the gadgets his agents used. Dr. Quest was described as a tall, blonde, blue-eyed man in his thirties who in his youth traveled the world with his world-famous scientist father. The elder Quest was attributed as the inventor of the super-plastic "Questonite" (not the same as the super-metal "questionite" in the current official CU).

It isn't hard to see the implication that J.A. Quest was the grown-up Jonny.