SAT, WITCH, CLOWN, And Other Forgoten Orgs.

steriaca

Frankly, I loved C.L.O.W.N. but too often GMs use them as a way to humiliate PCs instead of make social commentary or poke fun at society. That's lead to a lot of hate for the group. I've started campaigns with folks online, asked what THEY thought of CLOWN, and it was not uncommon to have someone ask if they could buy five points off their CVK so they could list CLOWN as an exception.

*Sigh*

spoilsports.

Steve Long didn't like CLOWN either and so they stayed in CU Limbo. I don't think that's changed.

But for an unofficial 6th Edition twist on CLOWN?

Mmm... I have an idea. I'd have to go into details later, but a brief summary. A group of talented but frustrated individuals TRIED working with the system only to realize the system is stacked. Corrupt corporations do all sorts of unethical things and even when 'caught' they're charged with fees so relatively small they would rather keep paying them than stop.  Under flimsy excuses, some Law Enforcement agencies seize private property or terrorize people but are all but immune to prosecution for it.  Civil Rights are seen as optional.

At least, that's the realization they came to. Said group of civic minded folks, frustrated by complete failure and injustice at every turn stumble onto each other and have a good gripe-fest about it.

"There's no justice," Eddie frowned, "Hell, there's not even a sense of shame."

"I hear you, brother,"  Alan fumed.

"I bet we could," Andrew spoke up, lifting his head from his hands, a figurative light bulb going off.

"Bet we could what?" Eddie raised a brow.

"Shame them," Andrew grinned, "Think on it. These guys are above the law, but no one is above a little humiliation. That's why people fear cameras and the like... no one wants to be seen as the public's butt monkey."

Eddie sounded dubious, "You want to troll evil corporations, corrupt police, and other abusers of power?"

"Hell yes, I do," Andrew said with growing enthusiasm, "You take the most powerful and richest man in the world and make a laughing stock out of him, and people won't take them as seriously. It robs them of power, and that robs them of protection from other things."

"So would a bullet through the head," Alan snorted, "And it would be more certain."

"Hey now, that's a bit grim," Eddie frowned at Alan's comment.

"And backwards," Andrew said, "Killing's wrong, lives are one thing we all wanted to protect in our various endeavors, even the lives of scumballs. But their dignity? A dignity they don't deserve anyway? Oh god yes, I can see it. We'll prank them and make a public demonstration out of each and every one of them. We'll make sure everyone knows just WHY our targets where chosen. Some will say we're mean spirited, but let's face it, its not nearly as mean as these overstuffed bullies in suits have been."

"You really think a little bit of buffoonery will change anything?" Alan scowled uncertain.

Eddie had warmed to the idea, "Sure beats tilting at windmills without effect. If it helps one more innocent down trodden sap, it'll be worth it."

"Buffoon, that gives me an idea," Andrew took a note pad and started scribbling, "We'll need to protect our identities. We have resources, we'll need secrecy even while we expose our foes to the world."

Alan leaned over and looked at Andrew's note pad, noting the words, and the design drawn next to it,  "Merry Andrew the Buffoon?" He said, "That some sort of clown?"

Andrew kept scribbling, "Why not? There are thousands of Andrews around. And who better to topple kings than fools? The less seriously we're taken as threats, the more the public will realize our targets deserved it."

"This COULD get out of hand," Eddie warned, "But... I'm in for a bit of civic minded slap stick if you guys are."

Alan coughed into his hand, "I do know where we can get some gear, bullet proof fabrics and stuff. I'd still like weapons."

"Not weapons, gag items... gadgets with a theme, it's all part of the theme. And I know how to make them," Andrew grinned widely. Perhaps something had snapped in him, but if this was insanity, he welcomed it. Anything was better than the despondent futility he'd felt before this, "I can outfit you guys too."

"The three of us?" Alan still sounded doubtful.

"More will join in, more will come, there are people out there ACHING to upset the twisted status quo we're in," Andrew assured, "In a few years, we could be legion."

"Great, a criminal legion, that'll never end badly," Eddie chuckled doubtfully. In truth though, he was tempted as well.

"Not criminal, Civic," Andrew corrected, "A Civic Legion of Whacky Non-Conformists..aka C.L.O.W.N. We don't kill. We aren't in it for the money as a goal. We're here to make the world laugh at the cruel, to point fingers at those bully with the law, and to topple tyrants from high thrones. Some will call us criminals, hell, some will call us terrorists because that will allow them to bring a lot against us, but what we risk is worth it if we can finally make a difference."

Alan and Eddie exchanged looks, as if to say "He's crazy, you know that, right?" but also to say "I guess its catching"

"I'm in," Alan grinned, "Payback time on all those 'big men'." Of course, he wasn't completely in agreement. The others could do what they wanted, and Alan would join in on the looking silly, but if they were going to be risking their necks, he'd at least want a popgun of some sort.

"Like I said," Eddie put his hand out, "I'm always up for a bit of slapstick"

Andrew grinned and shook Eddie's hand, and then Alan's. And in that moment, CLOWN was born.

In the following months, CLOWN made itself known.

A police sheriff who had been committing highway robbery in the name of 'civil asset forfeiture' came back to where his house should have been only to find it gone, completely and utterly removed down to the plumbing. It was being sold on ebay with proceeds going to the dozens of folks he'd taken cash and goods from on car stops.

The directer of an intelligence agency who had lied to congress and was twisting the laws to spy on millions found footage of his affair with a secretary put on a time lapse to the theme of the Benny Hill show on video sharing sites.  Also, numerous files of data had been replaced with multiple copies of 'Steal this Book', the bill of rights (With parts underlined) and truly bad poetry that the director had written in his teen years and thought destroyed.

The CEO of a car company that had been complicit in a defect cover up found her car suddenly appearing to lose control and going down a road that lit up with the fires of hell. All holograms and FX, of course, but as the fake 'gate' opened up before her, she begged God for forgiveness and confessed everything, never realizing someone had put recorders and camera in the same vehicle. This video was also released on the internet under the tag 'CEO LOSES HER ####"

Things did not always go smoothly. Alan was expelled when he crossed a line, but Andrew had been right. More and more people across the country, some with very special gifts, were inspired, and some were invited to join CLOWN'S ranks.

And the reaction of the superhero community varied from attempts to bring the troublemakers in to laughter and outright applause.

How's that for a 6th Ed CU version?

Excellent, sir. I would actually be OK with them in a game I was in. Especially if The Doctor (my former HERO GM) were running it.

My main PC Paladin (a PRIMUS agent, turned powered-armor hero - who is also currently head of the NY PRIMUS base) would be hard-pressed not to be in the "applause" camp.

Yes! This is how you do CLOWN right. Part ANOMINOUS, part pranksters, all civic minded.

I did SAT, in my mind, as an another anti-terrorist military group, with the cavat that they are trained and equiped for supers. Think G.I. Joe, but more 'real world' (if superheros exist, that is). Their is more in the 'SHIELD In Champions?' thread (not the exact name, but...)

WITCH is another thing entirely. How can you have a 'woman's domination' group without going 70's? My solution, make the leader after power only for herself, and let her pay lipservice to the ideal.

What is your take on SAT and WITCH and PAGON (mentioned in European Enimies)?

I'm glad folks liked. Obviously,  I think CLOWN could definitely work as less chaos for chaos' sake, and more civic minded criminals (And they still would, obviously be breaking the law despite Merry Andrew's attempt to stress the civic). They would be closest to Lady Blue and GRAB, but more fun loving than the former (not that she's a stiff) and less profit motivated than the second. They'd probably get along with either to one degree or another. They would definitely see themselves as good guys who also know how to have fun.

Anonymous meets pranksters might be a good way to put it for their mindset even if their means would be less computer focused

Unfortunately, I can't find my books with WITCH and PAGAN and its been a long time so I'm not sure where I'd go with them. It might end up being 'in name only' organizations, which is fine for me, but may not be what you're looking for.

I've used Prof. Paradigm and his Paradigm Pirates a couple of times in a role analogous to CLOWN, which fits the range of uses they're appropriate for.

The "forgotten" Champs org I miss the most is VOICE. I find Lung Hung a compelling villain, I like the group's international flavor, and I appreciate VOICE's motivation -- not to conquer the world, but to keep it unstable enough that their corner of it remains secure. IMO that makes it easier to slip VOICE into the otherwise-official CU, since they only try to upset the apple cart, not steal all the apples or burn the cart down.

For my own use of VOICE, aside from expanding some elements and playing up the "voice" motif in the group's organization, my main modification from the published version was to give control of its various divisions to other vampiric mutants like Lung Hung (since they were supposed to be a recurring mutation in the human genome), making the leadership of VOICE more like a family.

WITCH is another thing entirely. How can you have a 'woman's domination' group without going 70's? My solution, make the leader after power only for herself, and let her pay lipservice to the ideal.

What is your take on SAT and WITCH and PAGON (mentioned in European Enimies)?

If you think a hard-line-feminist group doesn't really fit with the modern industralized Western world, my recommendation would be to take them international. Much of the world today is still firmly patriarchal and oppressive of women, ripe for forceful "liberation."

IMO PAGAN and/or WITCH (which have obvious similarities and could easily be conflated) should emphasize the elements implicit in their names, pagan worship and the practice of magic. Patronage of the group by a mythic goddess of suitable attitude would provide magical resources and greater credibility as a threat. For purposes of using them in the CU I would recommend Hecate, one of the most active and aggressive gods in the setting, and traditionally a patron of women and witches. She's written up in the Champs PDF booklet The Hercules Force, and she's a beast.

Frankly, I loved C.L.O.W.N. but too often GMs use them as a way to humiliate PCs instead of make social commentary or poke fun at society. That's lead to a lot of hate for the group. I've started campaigns with folks online, asked what THEY thought of CLOWN, and it was not uncommon to have someone ask if they could buy five points off their CVK so they could list CLOWN as an exception.

*Sigh*

spoilsports.

Steve Long didn't like CLOWN either and so they stayed in CU Limbo. I don't think that's changed.

But for an unofficial 6th Edition twist on CLOWN?

Mmm... I have an idea. I'd have to go into details later, but a brief summary. A group of talented but frustrated individuals TRIED working with the system only to realize the system is stacked. Corrupt corporations do all sorts of unethical things and even when 'caught' they're charged with fees so relatively small they would rather keep paying them than stop.  Under flimsy excuses, some Law Enforcement agencies seize private property or terrorize people but are all but immune to prosecution for it.  Civil Rights are seen as optional.

At least, that's the realization they came to. Said group of civic minded folks, frustrated by complete failure and injustice at every turn stumble onto each other and have a good gripe-fest about it.

"There's no justice," Eddie frowned, "Hell, there's not even a sense of shame."

"I hear you, brother,"  Alan fumed.

"I bet we could," Andrew spoke up, lifting his head from his hands, a figurative light bulb going off.

"Bet we could what?" Eddie raised a brow.

"Shame them," Andrew grinned, "Think on it. These guys are above the law, but no one is above a little humiliation. That's why people fear cameras and the like... no one wants to be seen as the public's butt monkey."

Eddie sounded dubious, "You want to troll evil corporations, corrupt police, and other abusers of power?"

"Hell yes, I do," Andrew said with growing enthusiasm, "You take the most powerful and richest man in the world and make a laughing stock out of him, and people won't take them as seriously. It robs them of power, and that robs them of protection from other things."

"So would a bullet through the head," Alan snorted, "And it would be more certain."

"Hey now, that's a bit grim," Eddie frowned at Alan's comment.

"And backwards," Andrew said, "Killing's wrong, lives are one thing we all wanted to protect in our various endeavors, even the lives of scumballs. But their dignity? A dignity they don't deserve anyway? Oh god yes, I can see it. We'll prank them and make a public demonstration out of each and every one of them. We'll make sure everyone knows just WHY our targets where chosen. Some will say we're mean spirited, but let's face it, its not nearly as mean as these overstuffed bullies in suits have been."

"You really think a little bit of buffoonery will change anything?" Alan scowled uncertain.

Eddie had warmed to the idea, "Sure beats tilting at windmills without effect. If it helps one more innocent down trodden sap, it'll be worth it."

"Buffoon, that gives me an idea," Andrew took a note pad and started scribbling, "We'll need to protect our identities. We have resources, we'll need secrecy even while we expose our foes to the world."

Alan leaned over and looked at Andrew's note pad, noting the words, and the design drawn next to it,  "Merry Andrew the Buffoon?" He said, "That some sort of clown?"

Andrew kept scribbling, "Why not? There are thousands of Andrews around. And who better to topple kings than fools? The less seriously we're taken as threats, the more the public will realize our targets deserved it."

"This COULD get out of hand," Eddie warned, "But... I'm in for a bit of civic minded slap stick if you guys are."

Alan coughed into his hand, "I do know where we can get some gear, bullet proof fabrics and stuff. I'd still like weapons."

"Not weapons, gag items... gadgets with a theme, it's all part of the theme. And I know how to make them," Andrew grinned widely. Perhaps something had snapped in him, but if this was insanity, he welcomed it. Anything was better than the despondent futility he'd felt before this, "I can outfit you guys too."

"The three of us?" Alan still sounded doubtful.

"More will join in, more will come, there are people out there ACHING to upset the twisted status quo we're in," Andrew assured, "In a few years, we could be legion."

"Great, a criminal legion, that'll never end badly," Eddie chuckled doubtfully. In truth though, he was tempted as well.

"Not criminal, Civic," Andrew corrected, "A Civic Legion of Whacky Non-Conformists..aka C.L.O.W.N. We don't kill. We aren't in it for the money as a goal. We're here to make the world laugh at the cruel, to point fingers at those bully with the law, and to topple tyrants from high thrones. Some will call us criminals, hell, some will call us terrorists because that will allow them to bring a lot against us, but what we risk is worth it if we can finally make a difference."

Alan and Eddie exchanged looks, as if to say "He's crazy, you know that, right?" but also to say "I guess its catching"

"I'm in," Alan grinned, "Payback time on all those 'big men'." Of course, he wasn't completely in agreement. The others could do what they wanted, and Alan would join in on the looking silly, but if they were going to be risking their necks, he'd at least want a popgun of some sort.

"Like I said," Eddie put his hand out, "I'm always up for a bit of slapstick"

Andrew grinned and shook Eddie's hand, and then Alan's. And in that moment, CLOWN was born.

In the following months, CLOWN made itself known.

A police sheriff who had been committing highway robbery in the name of 'civil asset forfeiture' came back to where his house should have been only to find it gone, completely and utterly removed down to the plumbing. It was being sold on ebay with proceeds going to the dozens of folks he'd taken cash and goods from on car stops.

The directer of an intelligence agency who had lied to congress and was twisting the laws to spy on millions found footage of his affair with a secretary put on a time lapse to the theme of the Benny Hill show on video sharing sites.  Also, numerous files of data had been replaced with multiple copies of 'Steal this Book', the bill of rights (With parts underlined) and truly bad poetry that the director had written in his teen years and thought destroyed.

The CEO of a car company that had been complicit in a defect cover up found her car suddenly appearing to lose control and going down a road that lit up with the fires of hell. All holograms and FX, of course, but as the fake 'gate' opened up before her, she begged God for forgiveness and confessed everything, never realizing someone had put recorders and camera in the same vehicle. This video was also released on the internet under the tag 'CEO LOSES HER ####"

Things did not always go smoothly. Alan was expelled when he crossed a line, but Andrew had been right. More and more people across the country, some with very special gifts, were inspired, and some were invited to join CLOWN'S ranks.

And the reaction of the superhero community varied from attempts to bring the troublemakers in to laughter and outright applause.

How's that for a 6th Ed CU version?

This is too good for me to not steal it for my 5th Ed update...

A feminist group that went after some organisations and countries where women are really oppressed could bring up some interesting scenarios, depending on where you want to go as a GM.  For example, what happens if WITCH goes after mullahs in a fictitious oil producing country that the US government is friendly with?

OK. Time for my rethink of CLOWN members.

Merry Andrew, The Buffoon: The heart of the group. Also, the leader, and the guy who makes most of the equipment of the group. A hi-tech genous with a limited budget.

Slapstick: A fan of Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, Harrold Lloyd, and other pionears of early comidy cinima. He is rather grey haired, but is still spry. And carries his infamous baggy pantes, straw bloter hat, slapstick, and an occasinal pie to put into someone's face and selzer bottle.

Popgun: The outlaw ex-member, styled himself as a cowboy (atlass, a comidic cowboy), but got tiered of playing that role (the comic side). He was made an ex-member when he almost killed a victim.

April The Foolmaker: The most gifted hacker of the group. She is also an expert in robotics. She is also an extremly bad venquilitist (her dummies are acualy small robots). Her name comes from the fact that her birthday is April 1st.

(Beuferd) The Bard: An old RPG friend of Andrew and a renfair regaler, he is also a scientist specalising in sound. He helps out using his 'electro-sonic lute', which can do vareous non-weapion things (much like a certan english 'doctor's' screwdriver), and can, in a pinch, be used as a non-leathal weapion.

D.O.T.: The audo-visual man of the group. Need a hologram? He can provide it via his Drone Optical Transistor suit. He also loves puns based on the word 'dot'.

P and J: Twins which some minor mutatians. They can sence out of each other's sences, and are in constant mind link with each other. P is a male, and his sister is J. (The names are short for "Punch" and "Judy") They are both skiled actors. (New Guys!)

Trump Knight: A friend of The Bard, he is another gamer/renfair guy, who loves card games, and is a skilled midevil martialartist guy. He wields a blunted sword, and is basicly expected to fall back till needed to create a cover for excape.

Head Stooge: Moris Jerome Samual Finisky was obosesed with the Three Stooges. He studied extencly the shorts till he can create a martial arts style similer to there routeens. Much like Trump Knight, he is held back till needed. (New Guy!)

Tee Hee: A souped up VW Beetle, does't yet have an AI system, but does have fake eyelashes on the headlights, and a pinkish-purple mushtash on it's grill. (Lyft or Uber reffrence)

Basicly with my CLOWN lineup, we have a skilled jack of all traids tech man (Merry Andrews), general purpus prankster (Slapstick), hacker/robotics (April the Foolmaker), sonic expert/sound expert (The Bard), visual effects guy (D.O.T., based loosly on Dot), spys/actors (P and J), fight guys (just in case, Trump Knight and Head Stooge), and excape vehical (Tee Hee). Did I miss anyone? Does the team need anyone else? (Well, if runed right, they don't acualy need Trump Knight and Head Stooge, but...).

Yeah...I'm not much on the "merry prankster" vibe, so I would most likely run them as a "homage" to Leverage. The whole clown thing is just a version of "Don't Shoot!" and "What can't you take a joke? (ie please don't hold me responsible)" But as presented I can see them being around. Though I am unsure just how I interact them with the heroes...?

So I was thinking about WITCH - AFAIK their appearance was limited to Gremlin's background.

If I were to keep them around how would they have changed since the 90's? What would their targets be? Who would be a member? Sadly, an angry, violent offshoot of a popular movement is less likely to become VIPER-esque. 

So we're still looking - even internationally - at a small organization. Where I am pondering is a group of feminists who have taken it as their cause to free women from the patriarchal yoke through dynamic, often violent means. They are not all about misandry or grasping power so much as toppling the hold on women. Part of this is to prove themselves more capable than their male counterparts in male dominated arena - so many of WITCH's agents have science/technology/military/athletic backgrounds and aspirations. 

The organization has an "Anonymous" style group of Hactivists who use the Monicker W!TCH - they hack targets and steal information or "release" data supporting their cause.

They have a team of scientists who are looking to solve problems women face world wide - (and since this is a superhero universe) as well as augmenting their agents. 

They have a group of Military Trained agents who've channeled their rage at shoddy treatment at the hands of "Superiors" unable to control conduct of the men beneath them and now train the rank and file to defend themselves - or even better go on the offensive. They don't have assault agents or the like but have recon and demolitions duties - these agents are the ones who cause the destruction. To date, WITCH does not have any murder charges to deal with but this could change. 

They have Superhuman Support - Gremlin still works wtih them (if She's in your campaigns) and the formula that gave her her powers was refined to create the Furies - a Quintet of superhumans with very similar powers (but each slightly different).

The motivations for the rank and file tend to be narrower than say VIPER or even DEMON, but that doesn't mean they're a hive mind. Their targets are individuals and groups that oppress women (their definition of oppression can take different forms) unlike PETA they do not cull the women they save (sorry, minor political statement) and they mark these targets for harassment and humiliation, though some would like to take it further. Targets include the Entertainment Industry (Music, Film, Porn, Sports, it's all messed up), Religions, Political Parties, Institutions such as the Police, Military, Big Business, Education, the Medical Profession...no one's hands are clean.  

WITCH's leadership is very vocal and try to make waves but they hide their identities to the best of their ability. There's an internet war being fought between WITCH and various individuals and groups of men who don't like their attitudes - flame wars, doxing, ddos attacks and other network shenanigans are rules of the day. Only W!TCH has occasionally sent agents to "deal" with the "Basement Dwellers." 

WITCH is funded by it's members as well as anything they steal from their targets. 

Great job, Enforcer, on fleshing out WITCH. I don't like the ideal of them being magic based (sorry, WITCH is not DEMON in drag). I love the fact that the group is small, and more investgatie than other orgs (and, yes, I know 'investgatie' is not a word).

A previous post about using CLOWN from one of our forum colleagues:

I used the following plots for CLOWN (prior to their 'mysterious disappearance' following the advent of 5th Ed. - who knows the diabolical pranks they've planned in that time!). 1. A massive quantity of the gold reserve from Fort Knox vanishes. Later in the day, the members of CLOWN are sighted moving along the Golden Gate Bridge with the ill-gotten gains, placing gold bricks along the walkways and nestling them among the cables and supports. As the heros approach/investigate, they sight major roadwork on the S.F. side of the bridge as Merry Andrew and his band patch into the city power grid with a large gadget (complete with many blinking lights... can't forget the many blinking lights) in an effort to 'electroplate' the Golden Gate and give it a more 'sophisticated and modern' look. 2. The poultry population of the Foster Farms chicken ranches in the southern Central Valley (something like a million chickens) is herded back and forth across Interstate-5 repeatedly until heros investigate by the members of CLOWN. (I repeated variations on this one, including a 'free range' version almost as many times as 'selling the Brooklyn Bridge'). 3. Offended by the lack of 'truth in advertising', CLOWN heads to London and using banners, balloons, and pop-up circus tents retrofits the Picadilly Circus into an actual circus... releasing (non-lethal) animals from the London Zoo to make the transformation complete.