Having to buy powers for everything

Basic204

No, I've already covered that.  That's free.  It's an everyman item.

The hell it is for me.  (I'm still using a 10 year old cellphone, and I can basically turn it on, dial a number, and turn it off- and still have trouble with that last one on occasion-though I use it so infrequently, I never bothered to learn my own cellphone number)

Technology hates me.

Yeah, but unless Basic comes back and tells us what was meant, we'll never know.

Lucius Alexander

Making sense to a palindromedary

transform the power

the gm tried to explain it to be by saying you have to use transform to cut some one in half such as a robot so you will need to buy that to cut down a tree. 

I don't think you should have to buy a power to do things your power already does if its rarely going to come up. Like having super speed then using it to quickly type up a paper so you can get back to crime fighting. 

re:  super speed

having a high movement power (megascale flight) alone does not a speedster make.

example: Iron-Man

There is something to the idea of purchasing the extra abilities to flesh out a particular special effect.  However, as everyone has pointed out, it is not necessary to go overboard either.

transform the power

the gm tried to explain it to be by saying you have to use transform to cut some one in half such as a robot so you will need to buy that to cut down a tree.

I don't think you should have to buy a power to do things your power already does if its rarely going to come up. Like having super speed then using it to quickly type up a paper so you can get back to crime fighting.

Your GM is blatantly wrong. You don't need Transform to cut someone in half. In fact, the rules state you should not use Transform to do what other Powers already do, so it is arguably against the rules to us Transform to kill someone because that is what Killing attacks are for.

transform the power

Exactly where to draw the line between what needs to be paid with points and what doesn't is often a matter of opinion.

But I think almost any experienced Hero gamer will have the opinion that your GM is way over the line. A tree is a target with Defenses and BOD and cutting it down is basically a matter of doing enough damage to destroy it.

Now, if you want to be able to hit it with a sword once and it falls into a pile of useful lumber, THAT might call for a Transform Power.

Lucius Alexander

If you want a palindromedary to appear whenever you call for one, that might call for a Summon Power

Your GM is wrong. To cut a person in half is only a huge Killing Attack (enough to bring a 8 Body normal to -16 Body to instantly kill them, or to 0 Body and let the bleeding rules finish them off). To cut someone in half AND THEY ARE NOT ONLY STILL ALIVE, BUT WELL takes Transform.