Australian supervillain origins - a brainstorm

assault

There should be something Japanese in the Outback somewhere--part of an incursion attempt that failed, then was abandoned and forgotten.  It could be a giant robot like Tetsujin 28, or a supernaturally powered statue that comes to life like Majin, Monster OF Terror.  Perhaps even an army of elite Kamikaze soldiers in suspended animation chambers, set to be awakened at some point in the future for a terrible mission of vengeance.

Or maybe Mr. Edo, so he can train Seeker. :D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that raises a question for our Australian colleagues: does Oz have any appreciable white-supremacist movement that a neo-Nazi-type villain might tap into?

Absolutely. Even better, they keep being chased down the streets by left-wingers. It would be natural for them to gravitate to a superpowered leader, so they don't have to run away any more.

Speaking of opals, I remember a NOVA program about Australia's geological history mentioning dinosaur bone fossils veined with opal. Surely one can do something with that.

If you don't mind stealing from H. P. Lovecraft, Australia is the ancient homeland of the Great Race, which specialized in swapping minds across time. Portions of their cyclopean cities still exist, buried in the Outback, with fragments of their trans-temporal archives and technology. Also the shafts leading even deeper into the earth, where dwell the invisible wind-controlling entities that eventually destroyed them. (Their bodies, that is. Their minds skipped ahead to the hardy coleopterous race that succeeds humanity on Earth.)

But I find that character backstories and motivations usually lead to my favorite characters. Rummage through your favorite books, movies, etc. -- but for originality's sake, not comic books -- for stories and personalities you can adapt as villains.

Dean Shomshak

I hadn't remembered it until the above post, but another of the Aussie metahuman pics that I did was of

a female meta called Black Opal (the forum member who came up with the idea -- and whose name

escapes me at the moment -- had, IIRC, described her as a Green Lantern type), but I can't remember

if she was a heroine or a villainess.

Major Tom 2009 :think:

Did I break the thread?

Anyways... Uncle Bob is the mechanical underworld guy in Sidney. If you need your Crime Buggy tuned up, or want a city destroying mech, Bob's your guy. Just make shur to pay this bloke in advance, or else.

(Name is based of a favorite saying in England and Australia: "Bob's your uncle")

Bill Shock

he was asked by a mate to be a character in a local tv ad.

having a talent for invention he created an electric "shock" suit - not necessarily damaging, but makde great sparks for the ad,

something went wrong and he ended up killing his mate.

The police chalked it up to an accident until they discovered that this mate was sleeping with Bill's wife.

Even though he was innocent, he panicked and went on the lamb.

He used the suit to rob convenience stores and the like, but didn't realize that the suit was turning him slowly psychopathic

The evil villain known only as The Kookaburra wields sharp talon gloves, but its most powerful weapon is its sonic laugh. It likes to sit on old gum trees as it plors its next job. (Exactly what Kookaburra is is up to the GM. Humanoid bird? Powered mutant? Man with bird theam weapons? Something more sinister?)

Qantan: Australian Richard Branson-type. Archconservative, powered armour, helicarrier base, needs to have a talk with somebody about Tom Abbott.

Swagman: 100% Irish ancestry from 100% Irish ancestors who 100% migrated from 100% Ireland; magic user with deep connections to the Outback in spite of being 100% from 100% Ireland. Totally not denying anything, and that's just a tan, you stuck-up Pommie b*st*rd, now feel the wrath of my 100% Irish killstick.

Firster: The early days of the First Fleet were rough, which is why his ancestor was picked out of the common rabble to be a trusty. They say that his ancestor was a gentleman, fallen into the criminal class for reasons out of his control. Of course, they also say that he was a jailhouse snitch with a bad imitation of a "posh" accident. Never mind that, though, because after five generations of sending their children to the best English boarding schools, the accent is the least of the family's concern. Keeping the dungeon under their Sydney mansion secret --now that's a top priority. Firster read a few comics in his youth, and one of the things he decided was that the Hellfire Club was a good idea, but kind of lame, in practice. His version of the Hellfire Club, now that's happening. Whether the demon he deals with is the same as the one his ancestor first appeased, now that's an open question.  

Once again, riffing off the casting of Australian actors as movie supervillains, an Australian Doctor Doom is conceivable.

In the Real World, Julian McMahon is the son of a former Australian prime minister. He attended a fancy private school, and began studying law and economics. And then became a model.

He later became an actor in ads, and then the soap opera, Home and Away, a show which, with it's rival Neighbours, has featured a lot of actors who went on to more notable roles. Moving to the US, he appeared in Charmed, Nip/Tuck, and most relevantly for our purposes, the Fantastic Four films.

His role there was pretty thoroughly panned, but he did have a nice sneer.

OK, there's plenty to work with there.

However, I might go down a different route. Instead of a Doom homage, I might go with a DoomBOT homage. Basically, there are a bunch of these robots out there plotting away, not knowing that they are robots until something occurs to remind them. (Mix in a bit of Professor Ivo and T. O. Morrow.) One of their specialties would be building androids, naturally.

The question is, are they working for a "real" supervillain, or are they just rogue units blindly following their programming?

Back to Doom himself: a Latveria of sorts is possible, perhaps based on this example.

Oh: And at risk of immodesty, I recommend my article "Megavillains" in Digital Hero #3 for suggestions on designing master villains.

Horn-Tootin' Dean

I'll harmonize with that note. Very interesting and useful article. So much so, that Hero Games offered a free sample from it on a former incarnation of their website, which you can read here.

One suggestion to make black swan and opal a little different why not make them a couple gets away from the pesky romantic sneak theif trope makes for a more interesting dynamic black opal being very protective and jealous of her flirtatious girlfriend. As to black opal how about making her half-aborigine/half-Vietnamese. Both people who have been badly opressed by the Australian government. You could give her a cause helping refugees escape the deplorable conditions of Australia's internment camps. Kind of a robin hood type deal. Tags to riches successful mineral prospector and social crusader by day theif and head of underground railroad network by night.

• 3 weeks later...

Partly a bump, but I've also come up with another character.

The Tigress from Tasmania.

The joke: Hell hath no furry like a woman scorned.

Obvious connection: the Tasmanian Devil. Unfortunately it's been done.

The other well known predator from Tasmania was the Thylacine - the "Tasmanian Tiger".

I'm looking for a female character, so that's the "Tasmanian Tigress". This is obviously correct.