Turtle Armor

tiger

But for a mere $1.00 US you can pick up Steve Long's HERO 6E take on the classic Turtle Armor concept: "Steel Minion™ Anti-Superhero" (S.M.A.S.H.) Powered Armor! Brought to you by the fine folks of the Villain Solutions Conglomerate (VSC), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the International League of Evil!

http://www.herogames.com/forums/store/product/522-smash-armor-pdf/

• 4 months later...

It first appeared in Champions II, Page 70. The version in the BBB is even wimpier, IMO. However, speaking of Turtle Armor, I'm going to be using some suits in tonight's game.

Turtle Armor is the brunt of many hero (and player) puns and jokes, and the GM's use them as such. In the campaign, the parent company DanCo long since went out of business for making too many suits, with not enough buyers. Now, villains are buying them dirt-cheap; generally villains who are too cheap to get quality supervillains.

Here is my writeup of the TURTLE Armor, updated to 6th Edition.  Please let me know if I missed anything.  I used VPPs to represent the weapons and other systems in a more rules-legal method, and to allow additional weapons and/or other modules to be designed and developed to fit your campaign and adventure plot.  YMMV.

Artwork is of Mock Turtle, courtesy of Astro City.

TurtleArmor.pdf

Sorry, I've never been a big fan of the TMNT.  Though the idea of an agent with Ninjitsu training running around in TURTLE armor could be amusing, if for no other reason than to see how long it takes the players to make the connection.  :)

I created the Mk. 3 armor writeup as basically in line with the writeups from Champs II and the BBB.  In retrospect, I think I should have toned down the weapons to 50 AP, so the players' first impression is of TURTLE Armor being slightly underpowered for a supers world.  Then introduce the Mk. IV as making TURTLE-equipped agents generally capable... and finally spring the Mk. V on them as something to make the heroes worry.  Especially when Mk. V models start showing up in the hands of shadier persons.

A side note -- by having the VPPs, it makes it possible for companies (especially tech companies) to devise their own plug-in modules that can help with a particular adventure's plotline - perhaps sensors that will challenge the heroes nosing around a particular company, or a weapon that targets a PC's Vulnerability.  (insert Evil GM chuckle)

Bob, the night manager for Big Jim's Pizzeria, consoling one of the delivery drivers:

"It's too bad you got 'jacked, Joey.  I told Big Jim it wasn't a good idea to buy a set of used TURTLE Armor to deliver to the south side of town."

(That aside, it doesn't really make a difference if it's a vehicle or a Universal Focus.  And stealing battlesuits / high-tech weapons to become the latest supervillain is a genre staple.  Just like a good pizza.)

Humm...I like the ideal of rebuilding the Turtle Armor as vehicals. This, you can have teenage mutants (extremely minor powers) ninjas (simple martial block, dodge, and excape) "carjack" some.

I've tried a half a dozen times to write one up as a vehicle. Im Dr. Calamitus when it comes to Hero system.

I've tried a half a dozen times to write one up as a vehicle. Im Dr. Calamitus when it comes to Hero system.

Personally, I avoid the vehicle rules. I'm not convinced the benefits of using them outweigh the effort.

Doubly so when dealing with power armour, which is explicitly covered by the power system.

Personally, I avoid the vehicle rules. I'm not convinced the benefits of using them outweigh the effort.

Doubly so when dealing with power armour, which is explicitly covered by the power system.

It's nothing special. It is like anything else in Hero, another way to do the same thing.