Name The Newest Member Of Terror Inc. Contest

tiger

Hey All

As some of you may know I'm in the process of writing the reincarnation of Terror Inc for a new Champions supplement. Terror Inc will be expanding and one of its new member is a Mayan Sorceress. I'm having trouble naming the villainess, so I decided to hold a contest.

Below is the image of the character by Storn Cook. Please post a good name for her. I will choose some of the best and have a poll to pick the winner. The favorite name in the poll is the name of the character. The person that posted the chosen name will be listed on the credits page and receive a copy of the finished PDF.

So lets play!

A brilliant archeologist who specialized in the Mayan civilization was exploring the forgotten areas of their kingdom in what is now Chiapas. She discovered the ruins of a partial buried Mayan temple. She explored the ruins and found a small tunnel leading under one section of the ruins.

The tunnels lead to a large chamber with a sarcophagus in the middle. Quanita examined the marking on the sarcophagus. After touching three of them the marking started to glow. Quanita’s mind was bombarded by the life essence of an ancient Mayan sorceress. The sorceress had herself placed in the sarcophagus to escape the Spanish conquistadors.

She had her follow place he in this chamber and the collapse the temple. This was to insure her safety till her follows could drive off the Spanish. When the empire fell she was trap her for all eternity or so she thought. She willed herself into a sleep state until she could find a vessel to hold her essence, Quanita is that vessel.

When the life essence attacked Quanita a battle of wills was fought. Neither side one the battle instead they two life essence merge into one. Now the body holds the combined essence of a ancient Mayan Sorceress and a brillant archeologist.

post-243-0-40087600-1453947703_thumb.jpg

You could forego a Mayan name and call her Bruja, Spanish for sorceress or witch.

That was my ideal for her name also. La Bruja.

Some other ideals (your going to have to have someone translate them to Spanish for you):

Mistresses Darkness

Spellweaver

Maden of the Stone Mask (sorry...watched to much Jojo)

Lady of the Ancient

As long as she don't spawn any stone mask vampires, it doesn't mater what you name her. So perhaps Nameless might be a possible name.

I would like to submit for your consideration, Sister Balam (or any of it's spelling variants).

Balam is the Mayan word for jaguar. There is a group of Mayan deities known as the Jaguar Gods and each had its own sphere of influence, including black magic. Collectively, they are the protectors of the Mayan people/civilization.

Sister Balam would be a mortal link to the Jaguar Gods and she draws her magic from them. Imagine her wrath when she realizes what has become of the Mayan civilization.

What do you think?

Given her likely hatred for the Spanish conquistadors, imagine how fun it's going to be for her to be working for Muerte.  He's likely a descendant of the very people who conquered her people.

Background-wise, I'd maybe go with the archaeologist having some ties to Muerte (former lover, or maybe an illegitimate daughter).  I'd definitely have the possession by the Mayan sorceress not being 100% -- the archaeologist's mind retains a fair amount of influence.  That would help explain her working with Muerte -- she sought him out after the possession.

That said, I'd combine Mayan and Spanish for the name to reflect that duality -- perhaps Bruja Balam (aka the jaguar sorceress, with credit to Lord Liaden and The Man).  (It seems to just roll off the tongue.  Sounds like a drink that's going to kick your keister.  Brew-ha-ba-lam.  Go ahead, say it.  You know you want to.)

I recall said image. It was one of the pictures I commissioned for someone else such as Half Track for Worldmaker. I think this one was for Lord Liaden.

Yes, it was mine, from one of your contests (and thanks again BTW). I was a bit surprised to see it here, but honestly, I think that illustration will work better for this character than it did for mine.

Given her likely hatred for the Spanish conquistadors, imagine how fun it's going to be for her to be working for Muerte. He's likely a descendant of the very people who conquered her people.

Background-wise, I'd maybe go with the archaeologist having some ties to Muerte (former lover, or maybe an illegitimate daughter). I'd definitely have the possession by the Mayan sorceress not being 100% -- the archaeologist's mind retains a fair amount of influence.

Imagine her shock to share a mind with a descendent. I' m actually thinking of having the essence of the sorceress take over the body but retain the modern knowledge

Art News

As I mentioned I have been working on getting some art. I talk with Storn and we worked out a deal so I can use some of his art. There will be three members of Terror Inc. using Storn's artwork, on is being used in the naming contest.

Also, I have commissioned him to draw up a new image of Muerte himself :)

Art News

As I mentioned I have been working on getting some art. I talk with Storn and we worked out a deal so I can use some of his art. There will be three members of Terror Inc. using Storn's artwork, on is being used in the naming contest.

Which ones as a matter of interest ?

As someone who has commissioned Storn for over 100 pictures I would be interested if one of mine (other than the one already specified) is being used.

Given her likely hatred for the Spanish conquistadors, imagine how fun it's going to be for her to be working for Muerte.  He's likely a descendant of the very people who conquered her people.

Background-wise, I'd maybe go with the archaeologist having some ties to Muerte (former lover, or maybe an illegitimate daughter).  I'd definitely have the possession by the Mayan sorceress not being 100% -- the archaeologist's mind retains a fair amount of influence.  That would help explain her working with Muerte -- she sought him out after the possession.

That said, I'd combine Mayan and Spanish for the name to reflect that duality -- perhaps Bruja Balam (aka the jaguar sorceress, with credit to Lord Liaden and The Man).  (It seems to just roll off the tongue.  Sounds like a drink that's going to kick your keister.  Brew-ha-ba-lam.  Go ahead, say it.  You know you want to.)

Bruja Balam...I've said it several times and yes, it does roll off the tongue.  :yes:

If you want to combine a Spanish word with one from the Maya, Alma Balam (Balam Alma works too) is another option. Alma means soul or spirit in Spanish. This could represent several things. 1. If using the idea that she is a follower of the Jaguar Gods I mentioned in my previous post, the name, Balam, would connect her with them. 2. Alma would be a nod to the fact that all left of the sorceress was her soul. 3. Alma, being a Spanish word, reflects the Spanish-Mayan duality BoloOf Earth mentioned and that the two souls merged into possibly a new and unique identity (which curiously, is symbolic of what Mexico became-the merging of two cultures creating a new, unique, nation).

I know, maybe that's a little too deep for what your looking for but I couldn't help myself. I tend to overthink things.  :winkgrin: