Champions Begins - the GM Starter pack

Christopher R Taylor

Barring me winning the lottery, a starter set with rules included is probably not going to happen.  That's been made clear over and over again.  This thing we're talking about in this thread is a starter adventure with pregen characters and lots of help but no actual rules.

A starter Adventure with no rules illustrating how the PC's work is a huge problem IMHO. The point is to make something that teaches someone to play. I am not sure how including enough rules to show how a Simple beginning PC works would cut into sales. Esp considering that the work would send people to Champions Complete for full Character Gen.

IMHO characters should be built using a few powers as possible. No Adjustment powers, probably no mental powers. No Adjustment powers etc. Keep the PC's VERY Simple. No Killing attacks or Resistant Defenses. KISS. Keep it simple and sweet. I would love to see characters that are so bare bones it would make a Cassandra Build look huge. Hell, I would ask her to build the PC's. That woman can do wonders with a very basic powerset. Add a few skills to round out the PCs and you are ready to go. 

How many pregens PCs would be desirable?

I can see problems with characters being a bit too cookie cutter, once you go past: Martial Artist, Blaster, Brick...

Blasters could be differentiated by their secondary powers: one could have, say, Darkness, and another could have Telekinesis or Flash or something..

One brick could fly, another might not be able too (but might be a bit tougher).

Martial Artist? I suppose one could have some very simple gadgets, perhaps with charges. Or maybe one might be a "speedster" instead, but balance could be a problem.

What I see for this product.

One: a nice and sturdy cardboard box to put everything in. Have some nice superheroic artwork on it

Two: A "read me first" book. Includes the "what is a role-playing game" stuff, some of the rules needed to play, Hero In Two Pages, overview of the created heros, and anything else needed.

Three: Twelve sturdy six sided dice. While no power is planed to go over 6d6 in damage, we do included something on pushing. It would be nice if the dice were Hero Dice, but thoes are not necessary.

Four: The GN Guidebook And Adventure. Nuff said.

Five: GM Screen.

Six: Maps.

Seven: Cardboard figures of everyone, not just in the adventure, but generic people also.

Eight: All the characters in the game in stages.

Nine: Book of Enemies. Not only all the villains for the adventure, but also others also.

Ten: Where do we go from here sheet.

Yeah I'd love to put out a box set with some hero dice, a doubled-sided street/inside buildings map, a copy of Champions Complete, a campaign book, and the Champions 101 starter book in it.  Maybe a set of Cardboard heroes.

But that costs money to set up and create I don't have, so it would have to be some fairly major kickstarter to get going.

How many pregens PCs would be desirable?

I can see problems with characters being a bit too cookie cutter, once you go past: Martial Artist, Blaster, Brick...

Blasters could be differentiated by their secondary powers: one could have, say, Darkness, and another could have Telekinesis or Flash or something..

One brick could fly, another might not be able too (but might be a bit tougher).

Martial Artist? I suppose one could have some very simple gadgets, perhaps with charges. Or maybe one might be a "speedster" instead, but balance could be a problem.

IMHO 4-6 would be fine. Yeah, they would be a bit cookie cutter. The point of this is easy to learn how to play. Not showing off how complicated the system can be.

We already have a bunch of Heroes made up from when this thread first started.

I'm about to head to bed, but tomorrow I can post the character ideas we had already created.  We had them built in HD as well.

Look at post #150 for the character files...

Edited by Amorkca

I want to rebuild the characters stripped down and much simpler though.  I like the concepts but they need to be really basic rather than the more complicated build I gave them.  Some I may drop because they can't really be any more simple.

I think we should offer 6 choices and they can choose between those, make the characters both Male & Female versions (not that there should be much difference) just picture wise...  Aim for a group with 4 players and throw in a couple extra's to give choice.  The above characters were homages to the Avengers if memory serves...

I think we should offer 6 choices and they can choose between those, make the characters both Male & Female versions (not that there should be much difference) just picture wise... Aim for a group with 4 players and throw in a couple extra's to give choice. The above characters were homages to the Avengers if memory serves...

Mostly mock-vengers with an oddball or two.

The above characters were homages to the Avengers if memory serves...

That was my theory, mock avengers and justice league with a few others choices from other genres.  For example, I put in a Magical Girl, because for most gamers that's a familiar type.  I went with more than six because that way there's more choices and its not really much more trouble.

I think its useful to have other stuff than character sheets and dice, but what can we come up with that's pretty cheap and easy to produce?  Cards with powers listed on them to use?  Cardboard heroes?

Printable range rulers and area of effect templates, that can be scaled as desired by the user.  Also 60 degree turn keys for movement.

I love those templates that come with Savage Worlds but they are clear plastic and aren't cheap so I guess we don't get those.  Even those mylar ones that were in Aces & Eights were terrific, but again: cost.  I could see maybe a kickstarter for something like that for a supplement for Hero but not for something like this.  But even just paper ones are useful at least.

Here's what I figure it should look like, a sheet I built based on some ideas from other people:

2m84oj4.jpg

The filled out version would have really simple info like rolls for skills, all Combat Value slots filled in with the (OCV+11)-3d6 roll (so an OCV 8 has a 19- roll in the combat value slot) and no costs anywhere.  Powers are listed in the simplest terms - damage, name.  The idea is to give the players as minimal info as they can use to play with and no more.

Plus, the color coding allows the GM to say "your stats are in the green section!"

Has anyone tried to recreate this as an export template for Hero Designer?

Here's what I figure it should look like, a sheet I built based on some ideas from other people:

2m84oj4.jpg

The filled out version would have really simple info like rolls for skills, all Combat Value slots filled in with the (OCV+11)-3d6 roll (so an OCV 8 has a 19- roll in the combat value slot) and no costs anywhere.  Powers are listed in the simplest terms - damage, name.  The idea is to give the players as minimal info as they can use to play with and no more.

Plus, the color coding allows the GM to say "your stats are in the green section!"

Has anyone tried to recreate this as an export template for Hero Designer?

It is a great sheet layout.  I'd love to get a copy, fillable, non-fillable or HD.   I had forgotten where I saw it and have been tinkering on a version like it.

Well I want to make it look a bit less sterile and old. Some small visual touches, so it feels more dynamic and superhero-y.

I am beginning to doubt it will ever happen. We can talk about this project till the world ends, but till someone does something about it (and I don't believe any of us are going to win the lottery enough to fund it), that is all it is, talk.

But I shouldn't give up hope, right? Stranger things have happen.

I plan on getting to the writing when I'm done the main draft of the Jolrhos Field Guide. Some time this spring, I hope. It will get done, eventually, just gonna take a lot longer if I have to do it alone.

I'm not the greatest speller or gramer person, but I could contribute something. Some sidebars...prehaps 'where to go from here'...