Champions Begins - the GM Starter pack

Christopher R Taylor

TOXXYN

Cost Power
 33    Toxic Bite: Blast 5d6, Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Life Support vs poison; All Or Nothing; +1) (50 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)
 12    Spider-Punch: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6 (9d6 w/STR) (15 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)
  8     Drift: +20 PD (20 Active Points); Only for falling damage (-1 1/2)
 18    Tough: Resistant Protection (6 PD/6 ED)
  5     Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) with Normal Sight
  5     Jumping Spider: Leaping 0m (30m forward, 15m upward) (x4 Noncombat)
  6     Keen Senses: +2 PER with all Sense Groups
 10    Spider Climb: Clinging (normal STR)
Powers Cost: 97

Pts. Complication
 15   Dependent NPC:  Current love interest Frequently (Normal)
 20   Hunted:  Mutant Hunters Frequently (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
 10   Hunted:  Local law Enforcement Frequently (As Pow; NCI; Limited Geographical Area; Mildly Punish)
  5    Negative Reputation:  Killer, Infrequently
 15   Psychological Complication:  Loves city, protective of city and population (Common; Strong)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Code against killing (Common; Strong)
 15   Social Complication:  Secret Identity Frequently, Major
  5    Unluck: 1d6
Complication Points: 100
Base Points: 300

Would the highlighted +20 PD be better represented by Damage Negation? They could still be stunned or knocked out with the higher PD, but 20 DC of Negation means they wouldn't take the falling damage.

In the Complications, how can they be a killer and have a Code vs Killing?  I don't recall anything in the story about this...

The story should indicate the reputation of being a killer, I agree.  Toxxyn isn't but has been branded as one; thanks for reminding me.  I wanted an "unfair treatment" element like Spider-Man puts up with from the news, but something different.  In this case, because of something in Toxxyn's past, cops and the public remember that supposedly there was a murder but it isn't true.

the problem with 20DC of damage negation is that its 100 points, which is way over what I'm trying to put the active cap at and breaks the character's cost.  20 PD makes the fall from any realistic height in the game survivable, if painful.

I really should have split out the stats in the write up for Vulcan, though, you're right.

HONEY BADGER

This is the brawler/berserker character for fans of Wolverine.  By using Honey Badger, it taps into popular culture and keeps the theme going while being kind of fun.  He's your basic beat 'em up type.  I focused more on tough and fearless than regenerating, so its not too obvious a connection, and so it feels more like the Honey Badger viral video.  HB has a little bit of slowish regen, but mostly the character doesn't tire out or take much damage.  A 12d6 attack would do 9d6, reduced by 25% and 15, which means the average 42 stun and 12 body attack turns into 9 stun and no body.  Falling out of orbit (20d6) becomes 30 stun and 0 body - still conscious and not even stunned!  So I might have overdone it, the character can be nickle and dimed down but nobody is going to hurt HB very badly with any ordinary attack.  Losing the damage reduction would make HB easier to run and a bit less invulnerable but conceptually it works for how badgers are built (hard to hurt, can turn in their skin etc).

My concern with him is that he's a little complicated for the GM to deal with.  Damage Negation plus Damage Reduction makes HB really durable and hard to put down, but its a bunch of stuff for a newbie GM to figure out in combat.  Plus he has Martial Arts and Combat Levels, which means choices rather than straight up "hit em til they fall down" straight forward combat.  So I'm pondering how to handle that.  Maybe strip the Martial Arts and levels and just give him damage and a higher OCV, then add in the martial arts and lower the raw damage to represent skill increase but not damage increase.

BASE STORY: Honey Badger has always been tough.  From a young age, this caused the durable HB to become fearless and bold, charging in where others held back.  This naturally led to a career as a firefighter and rescue worker, the crazy one that the rest are amazed by.  But that wasn't enough for Honey Badger, who loved to help people and save lives, but was faced with a more awful danger than fires; criminals and supervillains.  Honey Badger learned to fight from a variety of sources, from mixed martial arts teachers to boxers to a man who learned to survive in the worst Russian prisons.  Now Honey Badger takes to the streets to protect especially young people and children.  But HB has drawn the attention of those who hate and fear mutants, and has to avoid their attacks as well.  Unfortunately, the fearless determination and refusal to back down can cause Honey Badger to become a bit too fixated in combat and lose their mind trying to defeat an enemy.

MALE VERSION: No additional story

FEMALE VERSION: Its not easy to break into the man's world of fire fighting as a woman, but Honey Badger demonstrated so much strength and endurance and such a fearless approach that she quickly was accepted and is one of the most award winning firefighters in The City.

Honey Badger

Val Char Cost
 20 STR   10         Lift: 400kg; 4d6
 20 DEX   20
 25 CON   5          CON vs being stunned: 35
 10 INT     0
 18 EGO   8
 25 PRE   15         Defensive Presence: 35
  5  OCV  10   
  5  DCV  10
  3  OMCV  0
  4  DMCV  3
 15 PD      8          rPD: 5; 25% Damage Reduction; 3d6 Damage Negation
 15 ED      8          rED: 5; 25% Damage Reduction; 3d6 Damage Negation
  5  SPD  30
 10 REC   6
 30 END   2
 12 BOD   2
 36 STN   8

18m RUN   6
  6m SWIM 1
  8m LEAP  2
Characteristics Cost: 154

Cost Power
  6     Healing: Regeneration (1 BODY per 6 Hours)
 24    Brawler: Damage Negation (-3 DCs Physical, -3 DCs Energy) (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
 12    Brawler: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
 12    Brawler: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
 12    Brawler: Resistant Protection (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
  6     Brawler: +10 CON (10 Active Points); Only to protect from being stunned (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4)
  2     Tough Mind: Mental Defense (13 points total) (3 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
  2     Tough: Power Defense (3 points) (3 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
  4     Fearless: +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Only for defense (-1), Unified Power (-1/4)
  4     Fearless: +10 Mental Defense (13 points total) (10 Active Points); Only vs fear-based effects (-1), Unified Power (-1/4)
  4     Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (4 Active Points) applied to Running
  5     Tireless: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (5 Active Points) applied to STR
Powers Cost: 93

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
  3     Legsweep:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 7d6 Strike, Target Falls
  4     Fast Strike:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 8d6 Strike
  5     Offensive Strike:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 Strike
  8     +2 HTH Damage Class(es)
Martial Arts Cost: 20

Cost Skill
 16    +2 with HTH Combat
  1     Bureaucratics 8-
  2     KS: Fire and Building safety laws 11-
  3     Mechanics 11-
  3     Paramedics 11-
  2     PS: Firefighter 11-
  3     Streetwise 14- (16-)
Skills Cost: 30

Total Character Cost: 297

Pts. Complication
 20   Dependent NPC:  Any helpless or needy child he encounters Infrequently (Incompetent; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
 15   Enraged:  harmed in combat (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-
 20   Hunted:  Mutant Hunters Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Never give up, never surrender (Common; Strong)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Very protective of young people (Common; Strong)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Fearless and reckless (Common; Strong)
 10   Social Complication:  (Secret Identity) Frequently, Minor
Complication Points: 110

SPELLBINDER

This character is based on the "Magic Girl" concept that comes up a lot in anime and Japanese comics (Manga).  She or he is an ordinary person with some unusual skills who can transform spectacularly into a powerful spellcaster in a special uniform.  Usually this means something incredibly schoolgirly, but very exaggerated and fancy.  She has pretty basic energy projector abilities to start with: blast, fly, shield, with a few alternate abilities such as healing and entangle.

BASIC STORY: Spellbinder always was lucky, or so it seemed.  Even as a child, everything always seemed to go right and strange things would happen in their favor.  At the age of ten, a trio of strangely dressed, spectacular looking teens appeared to Spellbinder as they were walking to school.  The trio told them that they were Spellbinders, a group of magic-using students and members of an extraordinary group hidden among the country.

Spellbinder joined this group and rapidly proved themselves to be one of the best of the group, progressing rapidly through studies and learning.  However, when one day a demon they had long hunted managed to infiltrate the team and destroy it from within, the Spellbinder was one of the few survivors.  Now scattered and their numbers greatly reduced, the group decided they could do more good acting directly in the world rather than behind the scenes, and the remaining members nominated Spellbinder to take their name and legacy into the world.

Unfortunately, as a teenager, Spellbinder has a hard time being taken seriously and is frustrated by this.  Incredibly brilliant and better educated than almost anyone their age, Spellbinder feels out of place with both peers and adults.  This results in them having an endless series of crushes on people, often absurdly unlikely and impossible choices.

Both male and female have the same basic story.

Spellbinder

Val Char Cost
  8  STR    -2
 13 DEX     6         Transformed: 19
 14 CON    4
 20 INT     10
 18 EGO    8
 10 PRE     0       Transformed: 20
  3  OCV     0
  4  DCV     5
  4  OMCV   3
  5  DMCV   6
  2  PD       0         With Shield: PD 22; rPD 12
  5  ED       3         With Shield: ED 31; rED 15
  3  SPD   10         Transformed: 4
  5  REC    1
 25 END    1
  8  BOD   -2
 18 STN   -1

15m RUN   3
  4m SWIM 0
  4m LEAP  0
Characteristics Cost: 55

Cost Power
  3     Instant Change!: Cosmetic Transform 1d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +3/4) (5 Active Points); Limited Target Clothes worn by character (-1/2), Very loud and bright: +3 PER sight and hearing (-1/4)
 60    Transform!: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 60 Real Cost) +6 DEX (12 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) (Real Cost: 10) plus +3 OCV (15 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus +3 DCV (15 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus +5 PD (5 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus +8 ED (8 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8)

16    Wand!: (Total: 32 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) Endurance Reserve  (75 END, 5 REC) Reserve:  (23 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus +3 OCV with spells (9 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)
  8     Strong Will: Mental Defense (10 points total) (10 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
  9     Magic Protection!: Resistant Protection (3 PD/3 ED)
 15    Fly!: Flight 24m, Position Shift, x4 Noncombat (34 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Magic Skill roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 19    Shield!: Resistant Protection (12 PD/15 ED/5 Power Defense) (48 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Magic Skill roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1), Costs Half Endurance (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 23    Wand Slam!: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6 1/2d6, Can use either personal END or Endurance Reserve (+1/4), Double Knockback (+1/2) (58 Active Points); OAF Wand (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

31    Magic!: Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots Can use either personal END or Endurance Reserve (+1/4) (62 Active Points); all slots Side Effects (Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; -3/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 2f     1)  Blast!: Blast 8d6, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; +1/4) (50 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; -3/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 2f     2)  Fry!: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; +1/4) (50 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; -3/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 2f     3)  Explode!: Blast 8d6, Area Of Effect (16m Radius Explosion; +1/4) (50 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; -3/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 2f     4)  Blind!: Sight Group Flash 10d6 (50 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; -3/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 2f     5)  Lift!: Telekinesis (30 STR) (45 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; -3/4), Only to lift and hover 3m and move (-1/2), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 2f     6)  Ribbons!: Entangle 2d6, 7 PD/7 ED (Stops A Given Sense Normal Sight) (50 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; -3/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 2f     7)  Heal!: Healing Endurance, Body, and Stun 2d6, Ranged (+1/2), Expanded Effect (Body, Stun and Endurance simultaneously) (+1) (50 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; -3/4), 10m range (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 2f     8)  Dispel Magic!: Dispel 11d6, Magic (+1/2) (49 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; -3/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 200

Cost Skill
  3      Charm 11- (13-)
  5      Cramming 
  3      Deduction 13-
  3      Scholar
  2      1)  KS: Geography (3 Active Points) 13-
  2      2)  KS: History (3 Active Points) 13-
  2      3)  KS: Obscure Trivia and studies (3 Active Points) 13-
  2      4)  KS: Spells and incantations (3 Active Points) 13-
  2      5)  KS: Witchcraft and Wizardry (3 Active Points) 13-
  3      Language:  Japanese (completely fluent)
  2      Language:  Latin (fluent conversation)
  3      Persuasion 11- (13-)
  2      PS: Student 11-
  3      PS: Researcher 13-
Skills Cost: 37

Cost Talent
  3      Lightning Calculator
  5      Eidetic Memory
Talents Cost: 8

Total Character Cost: 300

Pts. Complication
 20   Accidental Change:  Revert to normal if unconscious Always (Uncommon)
  5    Distinctive Features:  School kid (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
 15   Hunted:  Demons and assorted magical monsters Infrequently (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
 10   Hunted:  Rival Students for duels Frequently (As Pow; Mildly Punish)
 10   Negative Reputation:  Cute ineffective kid, Frequently
 10   Psychological Complication:  Touchy about age, defensive (Common; Moderate)
 10   Psychological Complication:  Driven to prove self (Common; Moderate)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Code of conduct (fair play, honor, justice, help and defend the innocent) (Common; Strong)
 10   Rivalry:  Professional and Romantic (other magic types; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
  5    Social Complication:  Legal Minor Frequently, Minor, Not Limiting In Some Cultures
Complication Points: 110

No image yet for Spellbinder, but here's a few examples from anime:

jseqfp.jpgrrnurk.jpg63xcia.jpg

Which version of HeroMachine are you using for the pics?  They look awesome, I really like that there are more positions available now!!

I am using Heromachine 3 for all of the images.  It is not nearly as intuitive as HM2 but once you get the hang of it you can do some pretty incredible stuff.

I thought about making Spellbinder turn into a girl, as that would be fun but I'm not sure it would appeal to many gamers.  What do people think?  I figure its hilarious and would be the equivalent of Vulcan turning into a guy no matter who played him, do you think that would go over well?

I thought about making Spellbinder turn into a girl, as that would be fun but I'm not sure it would appeal to many gamers. What do people think? I figure its hilarious and would be the equivalent of Vulcan turning into a guy no matter who played him, do you think that would go over well?

Depends on the player. I myself have a male to female magical girl (Lady Heart). You should put a sidenote about that option, at least.

IRONMONGER

This is the Iron Man equivalent, a guy in a suit of armor.  To set him apart, I made this character an ex military type who is a real bodyguard, who then wears this suit to act as a bodyguard to various people, now only Carson Vieux, the inventor of his armor and CEO of the company Viewpoint Applied Engineering.  The CEO is a small fat guy who has made a lot of enemies in the past through cutthroat business practices and refusal to sell to some questionable buyers, so he built the armor and hired Ironmonger to wear it.  Technically Ironmonger is the villain from the first Iron Man movie, but since he says the word maybe once in the film, I doubt its an issue.

I bought the armor inventor as a follower for two reasons: first, he's always available to fix and upgrade the armor, and has valuable resources such as cars and helicopters.  But he's only 1 point because he's just not reliable in any way for anything except what directly benefits him and he finds valuable.  The relationship is reversed: the follower is really the boss, but its a mechanic to make that repair and upgrade very reliable.  In a way, its not really even Carson Vieux who is the follower but instead the company and its resources.  Possibly this should be worth more, but I want it to be less something the player relies on than an explanation for what they get as being on the job.  

Ironmonger also has a constant computer voice/video link to VAE which allows them high level internet access, the ability to tap into analysis and information from experts there, etc.  I built the armor to be more of a protective and gun platform than physical enhancement: the bodyguard is already very capable without wearing armor so they don't need the boosters.

SHARED BACKGROUND: The bodyguard who would become Ironmonger was a soldier in Afghanistan, serving three tours with distinction and honor and winning many awards and commendations.  Their skills and instincts made them experts in protecting their squad and moved them to a position of leadership as a non commissioned officer in the US Marine Corps.  Finally rotating out, the bodyguard began doing work protecting high-profile clients, and ended up working for Viewpoint Applied Engineering.  

There, his boss the famous genius inventor Carson Vieux created a special protective suit of body armor as a prototype for sales to military.  But the suit was so expensive and meticulous to produce, it was impractical at this point to build for any large scale sales model and was put aside.  When Carson was attacked by VIPER in 2015, the bodyguard grabbed the prototype suit and used it to save his boss from being kidnapped and defeat the VIPER team.  Carson Vieux knew a good thing when he saw it, and put the bodyguard in the Ironmonger suit immediately as a company mascot, bodyguard, and community outreach platform.

Now Ironmonger protects Carson on his fewer outings, but spends most of his time out doing good deeds, saving people, and generally being the positive face of the company.

MALE BACKGROUND: Frustrated with the shifting rules of engagement in Afghanistan and tired of the time away from home, he came home to become a bodyguard, and rapidly rose in the job due to connections, news stories of his heroism in the Marines, and personal work integrity.  He prefers to do the work of helping and protecting people over standing around in the suit for photo ops and protecting the often demanding Carson Vieux, but its all part of the job.  he takes it very personally when someone hurts those he's protecting, and becomes very loyal and devoted to friends.

FEMALE BACKGROUND: One of the most storied and publicized members of the US military, she got tired of being used as a mascot for the Marines and driven around for interviews rather than being on the ground protecting her squad members.  Leaving active service, she became a bodyguard and was immediately hired on for many jobs, until Carson Vieux drove a dumptruck full of cash to her door to work full time protecting him.  Now she's a bit tired of being VAE's mascot and doing photo ops, but they are fewer than with the Marines, and she devotes as much time as possible protecting kids and people in need.

Ironmonger

Val Char Cost
 17 STR     7         Lift: ;3d6 (8d6 in armor)
 16 DEX    12
 16 CON    6
 10 INT      0
 13 EGO    3
 18 PRE     8
  5  OCV   10
  5  DCV   10
  3  OMCV   0
  3  DMCV  
  6  PD       4          With Armor: PD 26; rPD 20
  5  ED       3          With Armor: ED 25; rED 20
  4  SPD   20
  8  REC    4
 35 END    3
 12 BOD    2
 30 STN    5

14m RUN   2
  6m SWIM 1
  6m LEAP  1
Characteristics Cost: 101

Cost Power
  7     Armor: +10 PD (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
  7     Armor: +10 ED (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
 20    Armor: Resistant Protection (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
  5     Indirect Vision: Sight Group Flash Defense (8 points) (8 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
 33    Visor Cannon: Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
 40    Rockets: Blast 8d6, Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), 16 Charges (-0)
 14    Power Knux: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6 (25 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)
  2     Rangefinder: Absolute Range Sense (3 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
  2     Compass: Bump Of Direction (3 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
  8     Radio Link: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
 12    Zoom Lens: +8 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group
Powers Cost: 150

Cost Skill
 16     +2 with HTH Combat
  3      Combat Driving 12-
  3      Combat Piloting 12-
  3      Demolitions 11-
  3      Paramedics 11-
  2      PS: Bodyguard 11-
  3      Systems Operation 11-
  3      Tactics 11-
  3      TF:  Common Aquatic Vehicles, Helicopters, Small Planes
Skills Cost: 39

Cost Perk
  1     Follower (Carson Vieux, inventor)
  3     Implant Link to Vieux Applied Engineering
Perks Cost: 4

Cost Talent
  6     Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
Talents Cost: 6

Pts. Complications
 15   Dependent NPC:  Boss and inventor Frequently (Incompetent; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
 15   Enraged:  Person being protected is harmed (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-
 20   Psychological Complication:  Protective of friends and family (Common; Total)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Loves to help people, especialy children (Common; Strong)
 15   Social Complication:  (Secret Identity) Frequently, Major
 15   Watched:  Boss and inventor Very Frequently (Less Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Watching)
  5    Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x Effect EMP attacks, in armor (Uncommon)

Ironmonger.hdc

Hmmm... the Spellbinder picture gives an evil vibe to me. I think it's how the eyes and Joker-like smile are interacting.

I see your point.  Hit refresh on your browser and take a look now.  Better?  My intent was an innocent looking young girl.

I kinda like what I see with Honey Badger, but I'd rather the white be more grayish, to match the creature

Hit refresh on the browser and see what you think now.

I see your point. Hit refresh on your browser and take a look now. Better? My intent was an innocent looking young girl.

Hit refresh on the browser and see what you think now.

It's definitely better now, but now it gives me more the impression of a slight grimace(?) in the mouth. Not quite innocent but at least not evil anymore.

It's definitely better now, but now it gives me more the impression of a slight grimace(?) in the mouth. Not quite innocent but at least not evil anymore.

If the character is a boy to girl type magical girl, then I wouldn't expect an innocent look. I would expect horror (at first transformation, which this is not) to disgust or boardome.

LIGHTNING: This is a pretty basic speedster type, stripped down to be a simple to play as possible.  When I usually build speedsters, I give them so many options and tricks it starts to be paralyzing because of all the choices and the high speed giving less time to plan and so many chances to act.  This is one of the few characters with vulnerabilities, since many players really dislike them.  He's not stupendously fast like some speedsters, but there's room to grow in the next 100 points of experience.  Lightning has basic speed tricks like running up walls, hitting lots of people, hitting lots of times, etc but not a lot of fancy stuff yet.  Things like speed reading, increased speed of senses, disassembling or changing things rapidly (transform), and the teleport move that has to have a clear line between locations can come later.  

One complication that is unique is the sped up DOT effect; basically anything bought with Damage Over Time takes effect faster.  if it has increments one turn apart, they come six segments apart.  Lightning does not have significant defenses, but can heal very quickly and can have gigantic DCV with a dodge - and aborting a 7 speed is not much of a penalty.

BASE STORY: This character grew up with unusually swift reflexes and only got faster with age.  Early on, Lightning knew that their great speed was unusual, and was raised carefully by their parents to use their abilities carefully and respect the limitations of others.  Lightning took up painting, which was an area they had great talent in, and because of their extreme speed, was able to learn very rapidly.  Lightning caught the eye of an influential studio in The City and soon was selling paintings for quite a bit of money, making the character one of the rarest of people: a successful artist.  Lightning teaches art at the local community college part time, and paints still for spending money.  Meanwhile, Lightning has begun fighting crime and helping people in The City mostly because of his little sister's urging and the chance it gives him to get out and do something different.  But Lightning is discovering that they are drawn to do good and help others.

No change for male/female background.

Lightning

Val Char Cost
 13 STR     3          Lift: 130kg;2½d6
 27 DEX    34
 13 CON    3
 10 INT      0
 10 EGO    0
 10 PRE     0        Presence Attack: 2d6
  6  OCV   15
  9  DCV   30
  3  OMCV   0
  3  DMCV  0
 10 PD      4          Resistant PD: 4
  8  ED      2          Resistant ED: 4
  7 SPD   50
 20 REC  16
 55 END   7
 10 BOD   0
 24 STN   2

30m RUN  18
  4m SWIM 0
10m LEAP  3
Characteristics Cost: 187

Cost Power
 12    Difficult to Hit: Resistant Protection (4 PD/4 ED)
  7     Combat Running: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (7 Active Points) applied to Base Running

50    Speed Tricks: Multipower, 50-point reserve
 4f     1)  Off The Line: Rapid Noncombat Movement (+1/4), Noncombat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1) (37 Active Points) applied to Running
 2f     2)  Surface Running: Flight 30m (30 Active Points); Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4), Stall Speed 10m (-1/4)
 1f     3)  Long Distance Running: Running 0m (30m total), x16 Noncombat (15 Active Points)
 2f     4)  Punch By: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); Linked to Running (-1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)
 4f     5)  Speedbag: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2) (50 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)
 3f     6)  Fist Storm: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4), Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4), Selective (+1/4) (44 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)
 2f     7)  Focus Punch: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5½d6, Armor Piercing (+1/4) (35 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
 2f     8)  Recuperate: Healing Stun and Endurance 1½d6, Self Only (+0), Expanded Effect (Endurance and Stun simultaneously) (+1/2), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Lockout (All other activity except running; -1/2)
Powers Cost: 89

Cost Skill
  3     Conversation 11-
  3     High Society 11-
  3     PS: Artist (painter) 12-
  2     PS: Art Teacher 11-
  3     Trading 11-
  5     Cramming
Skills Cost: 19

Cost Perk
  5     Money:  Well Off
Perks Cost: 5

Pts. Complication
 15   Dependent NPC:  Little Sister Frequently (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
 15   Hunted:  Mutant Hunters Infrequently (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Protective of beauty (art, people, locations) (Common; Strong)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Easily fooled by the opposite sex (Very Common; Moderate)
 10   Social Complication:  (Secret Identity) Infrequently, Major
  5    Susceptibility:  Below freezing temperatures 1d6 damage per Minute (Uncommon)
 10   Fast Metabolism: DOT tick 1 more and 1 step faster
  5    Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x STUN Ice and cold attacks (Uncommon)
  5    Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x BODY Ice and cold attacks (Uncommon)
  5    Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x Effect Ice and cold attacks (Uncommon)

Lightning.hdc

I think we should go with old school viper stock stuff.  they started up a Yahoo group to talk stuff over but you have to jump through such hoops and tell so much information, get a phone call and all this crap to sign up I just don't want to do all that.  Its like signing up to college or something.  We need a blood sample, your social security number, your grade school transcripts, a personal testimony from a non-related person in your past, five pieces of ID!

PATRIOT

The Captain America type character of the group, an old soldier that never dies.  This character has the least obvious places to grow in, although more equipment would make sense (a knife, IR goggles, etc), and a multipower of gun tricks such as disarm, etc would be useful.  I didn't buy regenerates from death because that never makes sense in comics.  Everyone comes back from being killed anyway, so its a waste of points.  Patriot is a somewhat blatant ripoff of The Old Soldier from Astro City, and is built more around stats and skills (and massive presence attacks) than powers.  What the spirit was who showed up and apparently granted this character their immortality (in fact, they aren't immortal, no nation lasts forever) is up to the GM.  Was it a time-traveling patriot?  Was it just some hallucination that later the Patriot kept changing to fit the world that they came to visit later?  Was it some personification of Liberty or the USA?  Was it all made up?  No one knows.  This is the visual inspiration for the character:

94137-46103-the-old-soldier.jpg

BASE STORY: The Patriot was one of the first colonists from Europe to land on the new world and set up a colony in what would become Virginia.  The colony faced several attacks by local tribes and the Patriot fought them, then when the place fell apart, the Patriot joined a tribe and lived with them.  In a vision quest as part of the tribe, the Patriot was confronted with a glorious woman of great beauty holding a star-spangled flag who told the character that they would be the defender and protector of a great nation that would one day rise on that land.  The Patriot was wounded in battle and seemed to die, but disappeared and showed up again, defending colonists again when new settlers arrived.  Again and again through the centuries, this character would reappear at key times of great need, from the French and Indian Wars to the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and on through history, always on American soil to protect the nation.  Now, the Patriot has appeared once more, but this time the character is staying longer - why, no one knows.

Patriot is known as someone that tells the truth, acts with honor, can be trusted, and is famed for their fair play and love of their nation.

FEMALE STORY: She was a spitfire, a girl that was always willing to fight.  When the other girls were sewing dolls, this character was up on the wall firing at attacking waves of enemies.  Through the ages, people have been surprised to find that The Patriot is a woman, but they're always grateful when she arrives with her great skill and knowledge.  And her leadership is incredibly inspiring to all.  The Patriot is a symbol of feminine courage and love of country that has always been beloved and appreciated.

MALE STORY: He never looked like much, a gangly teen with unruly hair, but when it came to fighting, The Patriot had more fire and more courage than all the others in the colony.  The local tribes were very impressed with his courage and the fire in his heart, accepting him as one of their own.  As the years have gone by, the Patriot has filled out and grown, and now he is a huge, strong man that inspires awe.

Patriot 

Val Char Cost
 25 STR   15         Lift 800lbs; 5d6 (9d6 with combat training)
 20 DEX   20
 23 CON  13
 14 INT     4
 18 EGO   8
 20 PRE   10         Presence Attack: 7d6
  6  OCV  15
  6  DCV  15
  4  OMCV  3
  4  DMCV  3
  9  PD      7          With Combat Luck: PD 15; rPD 6
  9  ED      7          With Combat Luck: ED 15; rED 6
  5  SPD  30
 10 REC   6
 40 END   4
 12 BOD   2
 40 STN  10

20m RUN   8
  8m SWIM 2
10m LEAP  3
Characteristics Cost: 185

Cost Power
  2    Life Support  (Longevity: 400 Years)
  9    Regeneration (1 BODY per Day), Can Heal Limbs
 33   Gun: Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); OIF (Focus: gun; -1/2)
 16   Combat Training: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 60

Cost Skill
  3     Breakfall 13-
  3     Climbing 13-
  3     Concealment 12-
  2     KS: Famous battles 11-
  5     KS: History 14-
  3     Oratory 13-
  3     Paramedics 12-
  3     Stealth 13-
  3     Teamwork 13-
Skills Cost: 28

Cost Perk
  3     Positive Reputation:  Very famous hero (A large group) 14-, +1/+1d6
Perks Cost: 3

Cost Talent
  6     +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)
 12    Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
  3     Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty)
  3     Environmental Movement (Exceptional balance)
Talents Cost: 24

Pts. Complication
 10   Distinctive Features:  Not from around here, awkward and out of place (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
 20   Hunted:  Temporal villains Frequently (As Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Extremely patriotic (Common; Strong)
 20   Psychological Complication:  Code of honor (good guy/hero code) (Common; Total)
  5    Rivalry:  Professional and Romantic (representatives of other nations, must prove better; Rival is Less Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
 10   Social Complication:  (Not from around here, lost in time) Frequently, Minor
 10   Social Complication:  (Public Identity) Frequently, Minor
  5    Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x STUN Time based powers (Uncommon)
  5    Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x Effect Time based powers (Uncommon)

Patriot.hdc

PATRIOT

The Captain America type character of the group, an old soldier that never dies.  This character has the least obvious places to grow in, although more equipment would make sense (a knife, IR goggles, etc), and a multipower of gun tricks such as disarm, etc would be useful.  I didn't buy regenerates from death because that never makes sense in comics.  Everyone comes back from being killed anyway, so its a waste of points.  Patriot is a somewhat blatant ripoff of The Old Soldier from Astro City, and is built more around stats and skills (and massive presence attacks) than powers.  What the spirit was who showed up and apparently granted this character their immortality (in fact, they aren't immortal, no nation lasts forever) is up to the GM.  Was it a time-traveling patriot?  Was it just some hallucination that later the Patriot kept changing to fit the world that they came to visit later?  Was it some personification of Liberty or the USA?  Was it all made up?  No one knows.  This is the visual inspiration for the character:

BASE STORY: The Patriot was one of the first colonists from Europe to land on the new world and set up a colony in what would become Virginia.  The colony faced several attacks by local tribes and the Patriot fought them, then when the place fell apart, the Patriot joined a tribe and lived with them.  In a vision quest as part of the tribe, the Patriot was confronted with a glorious woman of great beauty holding a star-spangled flag who told the character that they would be the defender and protector of a great nation that would one day rise on that land.  The Patriot was wounded in battle and seemed to die, but disappeared and showed up again, defending colonists again when new settlers arrived.  Again and again through the centuries, this character would reappear at key times of great need, from the French and Indian Wars to the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and on through history, always on American soil to protect the nation.  Now, the Patriot has appeared once more, but this time the character is staying longer - why, no one knows.

Patriot is known as someone that tells the truth, acts with honor, can be trusted, and is famed for their fair play and love of their nation.

FEMALE STORY: She was a spitfire, a girl that was always willing to fight.  When the other girls were sewing dolls, this character was up on the wall firing at attacking waves of enemies.  Through the ages, people have been surprised to find that The Patriot is a woman, but they're always grateful when she arrives with her great skill and knowledge.  And her leadership is incredibly inspiring to all.  The Patriot is a symbol of feminine courage and love of country that has always been beloved and appreciated.

MALE STORY: He never looked like much, a gangly teen with unruly hair, but when it came to fighting, The Patriot had more fire and more courage than all the others in the colony.  The local tribes were very impressed with his courage and the fire in his heart, accepting him as one of their own.  As the years have gone by, the Patriot has filled out and grown, and now he is a huge, strong man that inspires awe.

Patriot 

Val Char Cost
 25 STR   15         Lift 800lbs; 5d6 (9d6 with combat training)
 20 DEX   20
 23 CON  13
 14 INT     4
 18 EGO   8
 20 PRE   10         Presence Attack: 7d6
  6  OCV  15
  6  DCV  15
  4  OMCV  3
  4  DMCV  3
  9  PD      7          With Combat Luck: PD 15; rPD 6
  9  ED      7          With Combat Luck: ED 15; rED 6
  5  SPD  30
 10 REC   6
 40 END   4
 12 BOD   2
 40 STN  10

20m RUN   8
  8m SWIM 2
10m LEAP  3
Characteristics Cost: 185

Cost Power
  2    Life Support  (Longevity: 400 Years)
  9    Regeneration (1 BODY per Day), Can Heal Limbs
 33   Gun: Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); OIF (Focus: gun; -1/2)
 16   Combat Training: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 60

Cost Skill
  3     Breakfall 13-
  3     Climbing 13-
  3     Concealment 12-
  2     KS: Famous battles 11-
  5     KS: History 14-
  3     Oratory 13-
  3     Paramedics 12-
  3     Stealth 13-
  3     Teamwork 13-
Skills Cost: 28

Cost Perk
  3     Positive Reputation:  Very famous hero (A large group) 14-, +1/+1d6
Perks Cost: 3

Cost Talent
  6     +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)
 12    Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
  3     Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty)
  3     Environmental Movement (Exceptional balance)
Talents Cost: 24

Pts. Complication
 10   Distinctive Features:  Not from around here, awkward and out of place (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
 20   Hunted:  Temporal villains Frequently (As Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Extremely patriotic (Common; Strong)
 20   Psychological Complication:  Code of honor (good guy/hero code) (Common; Total)
  5    Rivalry:  Professional and Romantic (representatives of other nations, must prove better; Rival is Less Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
 10   Social Complication:  (Not from around here, lost in time) Frequently, Minor
 10   Social Complication:  (Public Identity) Frequently, Minor
  5    Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x STUN Time based powers (Uncommon)
  5    Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x Effect Time based powers (Uncommon)

Patriot definitely needs some levels with combat or a higher OCV/DCV.  To get the points I would buy his Gun as OAF and perhaps add charges as well.  I would also raise his Reputation dice to +2/2d6 and drop Striking Appearance.  His OMCV doesn't need to be 4 either, you can leave it at 3 and raise his DMCV to show his willpower.  You could even create a Multipower out of his Hand Attack and add some slots that raise his OCV and DCV.  If you make them Variable slots he can choose what to add at any given time.

Something like this...

20     Fighting Prowess: Multipower 20-point reserve

3v          1) HTH Training: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)

4v          2) Skilled Combatant: +4 OCV (20 Active Points)

4v          3) Elusive Combatant: +4 DCV (20 Active Points)