Champions Begins - the GM Starter pack

Christopher R Taylor

I like that idea, it could be in the sidebar as tips for GMing or in the "keeping it in the comics" section about enforcing genre through encouragement and reward.

I definately agree with this and yes there should be something in the GM tips about how to clue the player about a potential bad option. "That guy looks like joe normal are you sure you want to do a 12d6n attack? It could serious hurt him and others may consider it a deadly attack"

I seem to have lost the thread of the argument, so this might not mean anything. But if I'm following it correctly then an example of the trickery would be as follows.

Spiderman stands still as the Rhino charges. Spidey leaps out of the way last second, and Rhino hits the fuse box. Rhino is electrocuted to sleep.

But that's the hero outwitting the villain.  Not the GM undermining the players!!

So in looking over Ace...

I suggest we name all the multipower slots according to Baseball Lingo.  So Slam would be Fastball, Blast could be Meatball, Crash would be Homer, etc...

I can keep going if you like this concept.

Ambassador add Flash defence and other defensive things to their Diplomatic Immunity

Behemoth - Why not give hi  Growth 3 levels? And add a Public ID (due to his size)?

Honey Badger - Like as is.

Ironmonger - As is

Lightning - Is their "Linked to Combat Running" on the punch an error? The combat running is only a Naked advantage to reduce endurance.  Perhaps the running should be bought outside of the Multipower? The AOE should be selective fire?

Patriot - Add Tactics and Teamwork to skills; KS: Famous battles over the centuries (Culloden, Vimy Ridge, etc)

Specter - Like as is; Perhaps change spelling to Spectre?

Spellbinder - like as is - but a description of side effects is needed

Street Knight - Like as is; perhaps suggest more DC's on Martial Arts with XP?

Toxxyn - Like the name!!  Like the character; perhaps add Unluck 1d6?

Vulcan - Like as is

That's the list!!

I like the suggestions, especially the baseball stuff.  Be easy to come up with other names.

Behemoth is built without growth because 6th edition you use growth for people that get that way temporarily, not someone that's just huge.  But Public ID is a natural complication, I agree.

I lined up a guy to GM the set when we have a rough to playtest, he's played some hero but never ran, which is a good test bed.  Then I want to playtest running it at the friendly neighborhood gaming store with random jobus.

Oh, and the "linked to combat running" was a kludge; I couldn't get it to link to just plain old running the stat.  I should just buy it as a custom limitation so it reads right.

The side effects on Spellbinder's powers I figure would be in the notes for the GM, I was thinking comical and goofy stuff like turns him/her entirely orange, or into a cat, or teleports them into a nearby high area, some basic manga stuff that's played for humor and embarrassment to the character but is basically harmless.  Nothing like an explosion or pain, just things they would not want to happen (turn them into the opposite sex, or the opposite sex's clothing, or all bald, stuff like that).  With the wand's dispel magic power, they can fix themselves but it could be pretty fun in the process.

The problem is Spellbinder originally had a magic skill roll for all the powers (the wand made it better) but it was so cheap and efficient I was struggling to spend enough points to reach 300 without getting too powerful or adding too many weird options.  So that's something to talk over and hash out since the side effect only really works if you blow the magic roll, which isn't there any longer....

The side effects on Spellbinder's powers I figure would be in the notes for the GM, I was thinking comical and goofy stuff like turns him/her entirely orange, or into a cat, or teleports them into a nearby high area, some basic manga stuff that's played for humor and embarrassment to the character but is basically harmless. Nothing like an explosion or pain, just things they would not want to happen (turn them into the opposite sex, or the opposite sex's clothing, or all bald, stuff like that). With the wand's dispel magic power, they can fix themselves but it could be pretty fun in the process.

The problem is Spellbinder originally had a magic skill roll for all the powers (the wand made it better) but it was so cheap and efficient I was struggling to spend enough points to reach 300 without getting too powerful or adding too many weird options. So that's something to talk over and hash out since the side effect only really works if you blow the magic roll, which isn't there any longer....

I would remove the side effects on Spellbinder's powers myself. Sailor Moon never had any side effects on her magic. Or any other combat worthy Magical Girl in anime. I also don't remember any comic book magician with a side effect on there powers. Even Hary Potter shouldn't have side effects on his powers.

As for "Magical Boys", see the anime series Black Rock Shooter (for a gender changer), and Cute Earth Defense Force Love! (seven guys given Magical Girl powers without changing genders...check out there sailor suits).

Another odd take on the rather short Magical Boys archtype is the series Is This A Zombie?. Talk about overkill, the lead character is a human killed by a serial killer, resurrected as an intelligence zombie, then gains "magical garment girl" powers, which forces him to crossdress when he activates thoes powers.

The side effects on Spellbinder's powers I figure would be in the notes for the GM, I was thinking comical and goofy stuff like turns him/her entirely orange, or into a cat, or teleports them into a nearby high area, some basic manga stuff that's played for humor and embarrassment to the character but is basically harmless.  Nothing like an explosion or pain, just things they would not want to happen (turn them into the opposite sex, or the opposite sex's clothing, or all bald, stuff like that).  With the wand's dispel magic power, they can fix themselves but it could be pretty fun in the process.

The problem is Spellbinder originally had a magic skill roll for all the powers (the wand made it better) but it was so cheap and efficient I was struggling to spend enough points to reach 300 without getting too powerful or adding too many weird options.  So that's something to talk over and hash out since the side effect only really works if you blow the magic roll, which isn't there any longer....

Caveat:  Some of my favorite gaming supplements has useful / interesting side stuff and extras that aren't directly part of the main info (so long as it's not done too much).  Remember "The Goodman School of Cost Effectiveness" tips interspersed throughout Champions II?

Also, I haven't had a chance to look at the characters themselves (my HD is at home, and I'm typing this at work).  So apologies if this doesn't 100% fit Spellbinder's writeup.

For Spellbinder, you could always have a box text (labeled Advanced Tips) explaining that you could replace the OAF Wand limitation with something like Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), and a Variable Limitation (-1 worth of Limitation(s); -1/2).  And then the character can do his/her stuff using an OAF Wand without a magic roll, or if sans Wand can use Magic Roll + minor Side Effects if the roll fails.  Something like this highlights the versatility of the HERO System in a practical manner even a starting player / GM can understand

I'm reminded of Ron's broken wand in Prisoner of Azkaban. I think the side effects should be tied to a failed roll. It's way more amusing that way!!

Well that's kind of what I was thinking of, and the hundreds of scenes in various anime and manga where something goes horribly and embarrassingly wrong in a comical way.  But I don't know the magic girl genre well enough, that might be too much a violation of the concept and I want the option to feel like something really familiar and fun.

Well that's kind of what I was thinking of, and the hundreds of scenes in various anime and manga where something goes horribly and embarrassingly wrong in a comical way.  But I don't know the magic girl genre well enough, that might be too much a violation of the concept and I want the option to feel like something really familiar and fun.

I think there should be a sidebar item with chances for all new heroes to "Flub" it up. That way everyone has the chance to laugh at everyone else...

During the 80's, there was an issue of Adventurer's Club that presented a villain group called, if I remember correctly, the Gold Bricks.  They were all gold-themed (in name at least) but were all glass cannons; there'd grown up, even then, a tendency among Champions games for PCs to have high defenses and high DC attacks, and to shoot first and ask questions later.  These villains were designed to go down, possibly even be killed, by characters built to that level.  Sort of a bait and switch by a GM, and IMO it would take a pretty crappy GM to build up a campaign that develops that kind of PC then throw this in to "punish" them for it.  

Gilt Complex was the team name IIRC. 

KInd of a clue. 

I agree, we need someone to whip up good looking character sheets, and jazz up the simplified one I built.

I'm working on a two-part product, with a book for the GM and a booklet for the players.

Also, I am planning on having as much multimedia as possible.  For example, I want to make double sided card print outs with the PC info on them (no stats, just background, images, etc) with the female version on one side and male on the other.  That way people can look through cards of the PCs to choose one, rather than the character sheets.

Here's what I came up with for the outlines, please comment, critique, suggest, or edit as needed:

CHAMPIONS BEGINS

An introductory supplement for Champions

This project is an attempt to create an introductory series of scenarios designed to act as a tutorial for teaching both players and GMs Champions and the Hero System.  This adventure presumes that the GMs and players have little to no experience with the game and teaches step by step all they need to know while providing an exciting adventure as well as pre-built characters.

The core of this adventure would be an updated and enhanced version of the old Viper’s Nest adventure from 4th edition Champions and earlier, with pre-built characters to provide players with a quick jump directly into the action.

GM’S BOOK:

OUTLINE

A. Introduction: Role playing basics (as opposed to a computer game), the role of a GM and players.  The difference between playing a Superhero role playing game and other RPGs

1) Goals - not treasure and advancement but protecting, justice, reputation, and contacts

2) adventures - not looking for treasure, but looking to help, fight evil, and protect people

3) Rewards - not increased power or loot, but contacts, esteem, reputation, and resources such as a base, vehicles, etc

B. Be a Hero! The basics of the system in very simple, entertaining format with plenty of images and humor.  This first primer simply gives the basics, and each stage of the scenario adds more.

1) Skill Rolls

2) How to hit

3) How to damage (stun only)

4) Dexterity and Speed

C. The Characters: The 12 pre-made characters that are available for the players to choose between.  A short description of each and their complexity level, as well as a diagram of the provided character sheets, with its features and what it contains.

1) Color coded sections to make finding things easier

2) Stripped down stats and abilities to only their basic description, no cost or builds

3) Combat values described as a roll rather than figuring out numbers

4) Complications and Quirks and what they are about

Also included are notes on each PC and tips on running them as the GM, varying personalities, and enforcing complications.

D. Running a game: How to GM, the very basics (it is assumed GMs have some familiarity with the basic task) as it applies to Superhero games

1) Enforcing the genre: heroes and crime fighters, not adventurers and mercenaries

2) Encouraging heroic behavior

3) Running villains

4) Tone and consequences of tone

5) Hero Points

a) what they do

B) when to give them out

c) how many to start with (various perspectives)

d) how they help enforce genre and role play

e) what to use to designate them (chips, etc)

E. The Adventure, as a step-by-step tutorial of the rules plus a thrilling story.  Each session has quick write-ups of characters involved.  Must credit George MacDonald

1) Session 1: stun only attacks, being stunned, no knockback

a) Memories, searching for a 1930s crime fighter

B) Only fight low-end VIPER agents as introduction to combat and skills

2) Session 2: adding in Investigation, Interrogation, and contested skill rolls; Spending Experience

a) Assault on Tanghal Tower, finding the McGuffin

B) More powerful viper agents and investigative work

3) Session 3: breaking things; body damage, damage to the environment, knockback

a) Microfilm Madness, a breakin with a 4 way battle between VIPER, UNTIL, the

Crusher Gang, and the PCs

B) Agents and the first super powered foes

4) Session 4: Endurance, recovery, and charges - full character sheets

a) I Love a Parade, with a defensive battle involving many civilians and innocent

bystanders

B) VIPER’s more powerful agents and some supers

5) Session 5: Mental powers, presence attacks

a) Combat in Christopher Park, preventing an assassination

B) First mentalist powers involved

6) Session 6: The works, a full superheroic adventure

a) Doomsday, with a raid on a VIPER nest, a “dungeon crawl”

B) Full power of VIPER and a full super team of enemies

F) The GM version of PCs

1) 300 point character sheets for each character

2) XP blocs for each character to make advancing in experience points easier

3) Full, finished 400 point character

4) Assigning experience in a campaign

G) Where to go from here, now that you know the game and have a group!

1) Hero products that are available

2) Online resources

3) Older hero adventures, etc

THE PLAYER BOOK:

A) Introduction, role playing basics and superhero role playing

1) Role playing basics (terms, actions etc)

2) Intro to playing champions vs other RPGs

3) Tutorial approach, little bits at a time

B) Character Sheets

1) The intro to the sheet

a) sections by color code

B) how to read each portion (rolls, damage etc)

2) Summary cards with portrait and info on each

a) double sided cards

B) male on one side, female on other

c) background, basic description of abilities, personality, and challenge

3) Simplified character sheets of each PC

C) Playing Hero

1) Learning the very basics (dice, terms)

2) Stats and skills on the character sheet

3) How to use skills and characteristics

4) How to attack and deal damage

NEED:

interior art

character art

layout design

writing for each section

Rewrite and update for Viper’s Nest

tips and suggestions interspersed through text and in sidebars

Maps and diagrams

Cover design

Character sheet design

Character cards

So is there somewhere we can get ahold of a copy of the original adventure?

Great question. I'm shure that someone has a copy of VIPER's Nest laying around. I myself don't. The thing is...are any of thoes who have a copy a member of this thread, or following this thread?

There is the original VIPER's Nest adventure, I think from 1st or 2nd Edition Champions box set; the Microfilm Madness adventure from Space Gamer #61.

But I think Christopher pulled his from the VIPER sourcebook, I think for 4th Edition (by Scott Bennie and Cliff Christiansen).

I have all three, though the VIPER sourcebook is in paper form, not digital.

I have a copy and have been running it with my new Champions game.

As a side, the heroes in my game have no powers yet, they are skills only (and scientists at that), so when I had VIPER show up, I had them run the Viper agents and I had a single hero to deal with them... (to have your new heroes learn about taking damage without it hurting them)

During the first salvo, one of the Agents using an auto fire RKA shot my hero 3 times, I was using the stat sheet for Blue Jay (not built to 6E and to my horror realized she has no resistant defences  She was taken out and the agents got away with a little cash and some unregistered gift cards from the gas station they had robbed!