Champions Begins - the GM Starter pack

Christopher R Taylor

Toxxyn (Spiderman) fast, agile, climb walls, 360 vision, has a "venom" punch

Vulcan (Thor) turns into powerful god figure with hammer that can fix things and blast with flame.

I think 12 should be enough and this gives an unusual variety of options that still should be useful in a group.  Spellbinder can even heal.

Toxxyn.hdc

Vulcan.hdc

I can't open the files.  When I DL to save them they show as Ace.hdc.xml files

I'm on a Mac and don't often DL files, but I can DL from the Downloads section and open in HD the files found there (like Knifepoint)

I'm likely just having a blond moment... (Blond is a state of mind not a hair colour)

Its trying to open the file in MS Word??? and I get an unspecified error... "The XML file Ace.hdc.xml cannot be opened because there is no available data view (XSLT)

There's kind of one in there, not a brick but a character that transforms (dramatically, with a huge lightshow and lots of sound -- a -1/4 limitation) into Spellbinder.  I was trying to stick close to very popular and famous characters for this at least.  It might not be the best approach.

My idea is we get a rough out there, run several different playtests around the world with GMs from here, and see how it goes.  Maybe people won't care for the hero analogues and will want something else.  Maybe some characters they wanted were not there and we should shift them around.  Of all the elements of this project, the PCs are the most easily changed.

There's kind of one in there, not a brick but a character that transforms (dramatically, with a huge lightshow and lots of sound -- a -1/4 limitation) into Spellbinder. I was trying to stick close to very popular and famous characters for this at least. It might not be the best approach.

My idea is we get a rough out there, run several different playtests around the world with GMs from here, and see how it goes. Maybe people won't care for the hero analogues and will want something else. Maybe some characters they wanted were not there and we should shift them around. Of all the elements of this project, the PCs are the most easily changed.

True, till we get to the final days of the project (when it becomes a physical thing one can have in there hands to learn the Hero System with).

If we're going to do the Viper's Nest scenario, we need the villains.  Now, some in the old 3rd edition scenario are out there in the Enemies books (Pulsar, Armadillo, Cheshire Cat, Howler, Bluejay, Dragonfly, Green Dragon, Ogre) but some I could not find: Icicle, Brick, Shrinker.  And in the 4th edition VIPER book they mention Hammerhead and some others that may be in a new Viper edition or not, I don't know.

Which brings us to VIPER: do we use the straight up VIPER out of the latest edition?  Because we'll have to do some reprints of characters.  We cannot expect people to have all the books just to run this intro.  I really like the 4th edition version but know nothing about later editions.

The Black Widow character doesn't need to be female any more than the Thor character male, if we're trying to make them non gender specific

The male version of a "Swallow" in the KGB was called a "Raven".

The German Jet Me-262 Fighter was also called a Swallow.

A Russian Female "Superhero" with seduction and powered armor.

In the West, a male version of a "Swallow" is called James Bond.  :yes:

OK we need to get this ball rolling.

Since Diamond Spear is computerless for the moment, here's what I have down for who's who and what people are willing to do (the parentheses are stuff that I suggest they be assigned to):

Amorkca - character design

Assault - writing, editing, proofing

BigDamnHero - proofing, writing

BoloOfEarth - character design, writing, publishing

Christopher Taylor - art, writing, character design, editing, publishing

Deadman - character art (Heromaker)

Diamond Spear - Coordinator

Massey - writing, character design

Nothere - proofreading, editing (intro and player stuff)

rdj59 - writing, character design

steriaca - writing, proofing (format and design)

So if that's what people are willing to do I am willing to take over the role of the "Editor in Chief." I don't see this as the role of someone with veto power, but rather a central manager with the vision to give the product consistent design and themes. It will be up to Diamond Spear to do this kind of post and keep the ball rolling.

And that vision is this:

The poll ended up with Deathstroke as the scenario winner by a small margin but I'd like to propose using Viper's Nest with elements of Deathstroke mixed in, to give it a bit more length and carry some of those themes. For example, the introductory scenario of Deathstroke had a guy in a costume with lots of presence acting dangerous to act as a distraction from the real theft, but fragile enough to teach PCs to hold back until they know what they are up against.

I highly advise against using that. New players would take that as a bait and switch and not trust the GM.

I don't know why its doing that, but all you have to do is delete the ".xml" at the end and it should open.  Have you tried to fire up Hero Designer and open them in that?

I tried that and it wouldn't work, I used my wife's laptop, that is running Win 8.1 and I was able to open Ace... weird!! 

If we're going to do the Viper's Nest scenario, we need the villains.  Now, some in the old 3rd edition scenario are out there in the Enemies books (Pulsar, Armadillo, Cheshire Cat, Howler, Bluejay, Dragonfly, Green Dragon, Ogre) but some I could not find: Icicle, Brick, Shrinker.  And in the 4th edition VIPER book they mention Hammerhead and some others that may be in a new Viper edition or not, I don't know.

Which brings us to VIPER: do we use the straight up VIPER out of the latest edition?  Because we'll have to do some reprints of characters.  We cannot expect people to have all the books just to run this intro.  I really like the 4th edition version but know nothing about later editions.

I have built BRICK for HD6, will post it shortly...

I think you misunderstand the scenario. He's got a lot of presence but is just an agent. If a player goes full wolverine on him with big attacks, the guy will fold up and go to a hospital - its a useful lesson in "don't open up with your most powerful attack"

No I don't agent or no you said the guy is going to have a high PRE to think he is strong. You are using trickery for no good reason. This isn't a scenerio for people who are already playing killer characters but for players who never played Champions or GMs who ran before. Really who is going to enjoy being afraid of using their powers? You are not going to teach the players to be heroic but paranoid.

No I don't agent or no you said the guy is going to have a high PRE to think he is strong. You are using trickery for no good reason. This isn't a scenerio for people who are already playing killer characters but for players who never played Champions or GMs who ran before. Really who is going to enjoy being afraid of using their powers? You are not going to teach the players to be heroic but paranoid.

I lean toward agreeing with Ninja-Bear here, especially considering we're making this for first-time Champions players.  Their first time playing the game should be a fun romp, with enough challenges thrown in to give them a good feeling of accomplishment.  Save the really hard lessons for another day.

That said, I can see adding a text box to mention using such an "overblown distraction" to help dial back killer character types.  A suggestion to help fledgling GMs.  But not as a definite part of the scenario.

I seem to have lost the thread of the argument, so this might not mean anything. But if I'm following it correctly then an example of the trickery would be as follows.

Spiderman stands still as the Rhino charges. Spidey leaps out of the way last second, and Rhino hits the fuse box. Rhino is electrocuted to sleep.

During the 80's, there was an issue of Adventurer's Club that presented a villain group called, if I remember correctly, the Gold Bricks.  They were all gold-themed (in name at least) but were all glass cannons; there'd grown up, even then, a tendency among Champions games for PCs to have high defenses and high DC attacks, and to shoot first and ask questions later.  These villains were designed to go down, possibly even be killed, by characters built to that level.  Sort of a bait and switch by a GM, and IMO it would take a pretty crappy GM to build up a campaign that develops that kind of PC then throw this in to "punish" them for it.