Which 4e/3e books to pick up?

Rafl

I am web-shopping for Fourth Edition books and I was wondering what I should be on the look out for.

I have the Big Blue Book, Day of the Destroyer, Challenges for Champions, Classic Enemies, Zodiac Conspiracy and the Fourth Edition Hero System Book

I'm most interested in adventures

-Thank you

If your specific interest is adventures, beyond what you already have for 4E I would suggest Champions Presents and Champions Presents #2. Both books contain three separate chapters, each one an "adventure module" providing enough material for several play sessions: plots, NPCs, and maps. (Although one chapter in #2 is more of an organization book than an adventure.) Pyramid In the Sky is similar, but its three chapters can either be run separately, or connected as a single campaign. That same format also applies to Shadows of the City; although officially a supplement for 4E Dark Champions (street-level superheroes), many of the villains are superhuman and easily scaled for tougher opposition.

Demons Rule and Road Kill are self-contained adventure modules like Day of the Destroyer. I recommend the former, but am less sanguine about the quality of the latter.

Your thread title also mentions 3E Champions. Would you like suggestions for adventures for that as well?

I would fully agree with VIPER and Classic organisations.

From there it depends on where you want your adventures to go.  High Tech enemies and the Mutant files are good genre books and include adventure ideas.

Another suggestion is Kingdom of Champions.  It has several adventures and even if you never intend on setting your games in the UK, it is an excellent example of a setting book and a good guide of what to think about if you take your players away from your native country.

PaladinAg 

Thank you for all of your suggestions!

If your specific interest is adventures, beyond what you already have for 4E I would suggest Champions Presents and Champions Presents #2. Both books contain three separate chapters, each one an "adventure module" providing enough material for several play sessions: plots, NPCs, and maps. (Although one chapter in #2 is more of an organization book than an adventure.) Pyramid In the Sky is similar, but its three chapters can either be run separately, or connected as a single campaign. That same format also applies to Shadows of the City; although officially a supplement for 4E Dark Champions (street-level superheroes), many of the villains are superhuman and easily scaled for tougher opposition.

Demons Rule and Road Kill are self-contained adventure modules like Day of the Destroyer. I recommend the former, but am less sanguine about the quality of the latter.

Your thread title also mentions 3E Champions. Would you like suggestions for adventures for that as well?

[Looks at thread title]

Oh shoot forgot I did that! I don't have the 3E rules so I don't know how well I could interpret the material in that era of books, but I am open to suggestions.

What would be some books that I can skip? I have heard bad things about European Enemies but other than that book nothing really comes up as a definite "do not buy"

I'll add my recommendation for the 4e VIPER book. It's excellent, full of well-written characters and equipment that's useful even if you don't specifically use VIPER. If your campaign setting includes a big "Syndicate of Evil" criminal/terrorist/subversive group, 4th ed. VIPER is the best example I've ever seen for how to do it well.

Dean Shomshak

Demons Rule is my favorite 4ed Champions adventure, hands down.

I assume since you posted this under Champions that you're not interested in 3ed/4ed Heroic books?

And this illustrates why recommending an entertainment is always a risk. :hush:

Hahaha. Demons Rule is a problem because as written, the villains can't get to the final combat. Literally, there are so many problems with the tacticals and the way the villains are built vis a vis those tacticals that they lose the initial combat outright and go to prison. 

Scenario over.