Your PCs might be overpowered if...

Glen Sprigg

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Your PCs might be overpowered if...

Y'know, this thread almost has me wanting to write down all the powers down, one each on index cards; ditto the advantages and the limitations. Then start constructing random powers. Draw a power blindly. Roll 1d6 and draw that many advantages. Roll another 1d6 and draw that many limitations. Then turn all the cards over and hammer something together that works.

Because that's the only way I can imagine powers more random than Megascaled Swinging.

you did an PRE attack on Takofones....last year..and he's still not able to take an action yet.

Dr. D uses contemplates being hunted by your your sidekick, only to find them listed as more powerful, NCI disadvantage.

Then changes his mind, because its too scary, and instead takes your slightly less powerful DNPC and its still more powerful, NCI.

Mechanon 3000 thinks he may need to go further ahead in time just to hide from you.

You call the Galactic Champions street level heroes.

Foxbat sees you..and acts normal around you.

You've never had to roll your 24d6 of luck..because you've never needed it.

You sell off your recovery.. because you never need to take one.

You can't double the grounds of your base anymore, because the universe hasn't expanded that much yet.

Your agents have followers, and even they violate campaign DC limits.

They show up and Isthva V'han decides to negotiate...her empire's surrender.

Only one of the players can show up that evening, so you throw his character against the entirely of Eurostar (including Panterra) as random encounter to pass the time.

Menton and Dr Destroyer refer to them "Sir" or "Ma'm"

One of them has Hunted: God (Ls Pow, NCI 8-)

As a DBZ fan, I can answer these.

Of course' date=' when they [b']want[/b] to blow up a planet, it won't explode for a half-dozen episodes so they can show the whole climatic fight. :)
I assume your reffering to the Frieza/Goku fight. The in-character reason was Freiza held back too much, so it took a few minutes for the planet to finish blowing up. The real reason was Toriyama was still working on the manga, so the anime guys had to stretch things out till he finished:)

You know, I've always heard about how everyone from Raditz on up is supposed to be able to move faster than light, but nobody's ever been able to answer this question; If these guys are all moving faster than light, how can they see each other?
Thats explained in the fights DBZ saga. Piccolo had trained Gohan, and when the Saiyans showed up Yamcha took the first crack at Nappa. When the fight started, both guys disappeared. Gohan couldn't see anything, then saw everyone else was paying attention to something. Piccolo told him they where moving to fast to see with your eyes, you had to feel their energy and use that to follow the fight. Gohan concentrated, and was able to start to follow the fight.

If you have a specific power tailor-suited against each and every Tyrannon avatar, and can activate all of them simultaneously...

If you had to change HERO System from six-siders to percentile dice 'cause you coudn't find enough dice...

If Superman is your civilian Secret ID (sometimes you just want to lay back and relax a bit)...

If you ask Steve Long whether your character is a legal build, and he replies "I'll give you the address of some ex-colleague of mine, I no longer provide legal advice"...

... your PC might be overpowered.

If you have ever solved a dilemma by moving the entire Earth backward in time...

If your character is based upon an Alan Moore character whose theme was to show that the more powerful someone is the more removed they are from humanity...

If you are better off reciting the digits of Pi than saying your character's cost...

If your character has a power: Major Transform 1d6 (HERO 5th Revised Rules to whatever the hell rules I want; +1), Indirect (+3/4), Transdimensional (+1/2)...

If your PC GMs every game now, and the GM plays his avatar...

...your PC is overpowered.

My PC would be overpowered if it could solve, in no more than about a few minutes execution time, 3-d numerical magnetohydrodynamics problems on a fine enough spatial grid and time step adequate to model the earth's geodynamo. Then I would follow the evolution of the planetary magnetic field over several polarity reversals, several tens of thousands of years of time.

Considering that a realistic time-frozen "snapshot" of the Earth's core at that resolution represents about 10^15 grid points, with at least half a dozen scalar and vector physical quantities at each grid point, and timesteps on the order of 100 seconds, you need sort of teraflops to tens of teraflops to be able to compute at the same speed as the real thing, so if you want 50,000 years of evolutionary history in about a year's computing time that means something like exaflops of processor speed.

At the theoretical lower limit, one bit takes an energy of 4kT, with T ~ 3 K, and we have to use 64-bit words here, so that's about 100 exabits per second, requiring about a tenth of a milliwatt, which isn't a big deal.

But at real-world computation energy consumption, one can find a source that says a machine capable of petaflops (a factor of 10^3 to 10^4 below the exaflops needed) would consume 1 megawatt of power with currently-feasible technology.

So a PC that does exaflops would (by the simplest extrapolation) consume a gigawatt of power, and dissipate all that in the box next to your desk.

That is an overpowered PC. :P